Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
From a person who graduated from PG schools in 2004, I can attest that crim is not affecting the schools one bit. It is the lack of qualified teachers that are affecting the school as another member has already pointed out. Crime has little to do with the way children are being educated. Part of it is parent responsibility, another part is the school districts responsibility.

If people would put more effot into helping at schools like they used to instead of making the teacher the parent, child care provider, and educator, maybe we can see low performing schools be better. Be a tutor or something.

Also funding for programs in schools would make a big difference in keeping kids from getting into trouble.
Ok, then why are parents who live in P.G sneaking their children into the Charles county schools?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,969 times
Well my community in Upper Marlboro have a wonderful school and I am planning on sending my son to our community school. I still do not understand why people continue to place Pg county as a whole in the same category. We all know that Pg county have wonderful areas and not so wonderful areas. I live in a wonderful area in Pg county with wonderful neighbors,school.

There are certain areas in Pg county that do have issues with their local schools but their are also areas in PG county with excellent/wonderful schools.

Every county is the same as PG county. You have good areas in other counties with good schools and other counties with not so wonderful areas with low rating schools. Same goes for Montgomery,Howard,Charles. I live in PG county and their are areas in MOntgomery County that I would never live and would never enroll my son in the schools while their are other areas in Montgomery County that I would live and would enroll my son in the community school.

PG county parents are not pushing their children in Charles County schools. It might seem that way to you that alot of Ex Pg county residents are moving to Charles county Only because the cost of living is so cheap. Pg county is doing a silent genification right now to where if you do not have money certain areas are off your list.

Charles County is attracting alot of Pg county lower income resident because its very cheap to live their. PG county residents who can afford to live in the county are not moving.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
I live in Forestville and am a teacher in the DC school system and an thinking about teaching at High Road School, a special education school in Capital Heights. I've always worked in DCPS and the school I am coming from is a Level 5 all boys special education school. Does any body know anything about High Road, is it better to work in the middle school or the high school? As a teacher, I think the bulk of the responsibility is with the parent. I have to be an educator, mother, therapist, social worker, and referee to children whose parents are not fulfilling there responsibility. I love working with children, but I am tired of being all these things to all these kids, I need the parents to step up. They (parents and administrators) expect teachers to be miracle workers but do not understand that we can't do it alone. You CAN NOT teach a lesson when you are spending most of your class time correcting student behaviors. I believe these behaviors stem from home. There is no way any student should be allowed to think that they can come to school and disrespect any teacher. Those manners and respect should be instilled in these kids in the home and obviously they are not. The best way to deal with students is to have parent support, I have found that this is so helpful.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo24go View Post
I live in Forestville and am a teacher in the DC school system and an thinking about teaching at High Road School, a special education school in Capital Heights. I've always worked in DCPS and the school I am coming from is a Level 5 all boys special education school. Does any body know anything about High Road, is it better to work in the middle school or the high school? As a teacher, I think the bulk of the responsibility is with the parent. I have to be an educator, mother, therapist, social worker, and referee to children whose parents are not fulfilling there responsibility. I love working with children, but I am tired of being all these things to all these kids, I need the parents to step up. They (parents and administrators) expect teachers to be miracle workers but do not understand that we can't do it alone. You CAN NOT teach a lesson when you are spending most of your class time correcting student behaviors. I believe these behaviors stem from home. There is no way any student should be allowed to think that they can come to school and disrespect any teacher. Those manners and respect should be instilled in these kids in the home and obviously they are not. The best way to deal with students is to have parent support, I have found that this is so helpful.
Your story reminds me of one of my client who is a middle school teacher for DC public schools. I remembered him telling me that it is not a school more like boot camp. Teachers have it hard no matter the state/city. I do agree parents need to step up. Parents need to start paying attention to their children. I am so tired of hearing about children in gangs. How can your child be in a gang and the parents not know about it? I always wonder.
I think parents need to be held accountable for under age children.

The government need to impose 6 days of school,shorter summer and if a child fail school then the parent need to be punish. If the child join a gang the parents need to get punish. It all starts with the parents. Some parents do not care. Their are some caring parents with bad children.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post

Charles County is attracting alot of Pg county lower income resident because its very cheap to live their. PG county residents who can afford to live in the county are not moving.
That is not the case ,they are moving becuase of bad schools and crime.IMHO.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:53 PM

I am a PG county resident ok and I am telling you that the people who are moving in to Charles are the lower income. The higher income families in PG county have excellent public schools in their areas. The schools in PG county with issues are the lower income areas. The higher income areas are really nice with excellent schools.

First off you do not live in the county I live in PG county so I am telling you what is really going on. Trust me the families who are making over 100k are not moving out of the county.

Speaking about charles County, why is the mall run down. I just came back from the mall in Charles County and I would never return. From now on I will either go to the National Harbor in PG county or Bowie Town center. You talking about PG county while your county is getting run down to the ground. Bowie town center is a much better place to go shopping. Bowie town center is very clean, the stores are all organize.

Giantone: Answer this question. Was the Mall in Charles County always that run down?
There is no good stores to shop in the mall. The stores are unorganize just horrible. The food court is horrible no good selection.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,397 times
Quote:
I am a PG county resident ok and I am telling you that the people who are moving in to Charles are the lower income. The higher income families in PG county have excellent public schools in their areas. The schools in PG county with issues are the lower income areas. The higher income areas are really nice with excellent schools.

First off you do not live in the county I live in PG county so I am telling you what is really going on. Trust me the families who are making over 100k are not moving out of the county.

Speaking about charles County, why is the mall run down. I just came back from the mall in Charles County and I would never return. From now on I will either go to the National Harbor in PG county or Bowie Town center. You talking about PG county while your county is getting run down to the ground. Bowie town center is a much better place to go shopping. Bowie town center is very clean, the stores are all organize.

Giantone: Answer this question. Was the Mall in Charles County always that run down?
There is no good stores to shop in the mall. The stores are unorganize just horrible. The food court is horrible no good selection.
Didn't we already establish with FACTS that the housing is not cheaper in Charles. And no, the mall has issues because of the PG and DC people coming down here to commit their crimes. And yes families making over 100k are moving here from PG all the time, every day and they say it is for better schools and less crime. If you go to the mdreport card your elementary school is really not that good compared to other schools. And what is this word "genification" that you keep using? Please define.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
Didn't we already establish with FACTS that the housing is not cheaper in Charles. And no, the mall has issues because of the PG and DC people coming down here to commit their crimes. And yes families making over 100k are moving here from PG all the time, every day and they say it is for better schools and less crime. If you go to the mdreport card your elementary school is really not that good compared to other schools. And what is this word "genification" that you keep using? Please define.
No, you did not prove that Charles County houses cost more then PG county.
Did you see my prove that PG cost of living is higher then Charles County?
All of the suburbs of Dc are the most expensive areas to live in MD.
Charles County is not apart of Dc surburbs. Majority of the imports now into Charles County are those moving out of DC suburbs due to the high cost of living since Charles County is cheaper then DC suburbs.

Now back to PG county schools I know my community school Mattaponi in Upper Marlboro is a wonderful school. All of the neighbors speak so highly of the school/ Administrators/Teachers. One of my neighbor had her daughter in Public school thinking all of PG county schools need improvement. She then decided to take her daughter out of Private shcool and into the neighborhood school where her daughter is learning more and have improved in every subject. All the children in my neighborhood are all apart of some kind of after school activities.

PG county is a county with all different income levels. If you want to live in an area with successful Black doctors/Lawyer/Engineers/Business Owners/Authors, etc you can easily find it in PG county. Which is why I moved to PG county. I wanted my son to know that their are plenty of successful Blacks. I did not want my son to see people not of his color to define him and to define what Black is all about. I wanted my son to see Blacks are successful. I wanted to be able to take my son for a walk around the neighborhood and see a Black doctor/teacher/lawyer/Principal/Business Owner/Engineer. This is what I see everyday in my community in PG county and this is what my son sees everyday. I do not like the fact that non Blacks are trying to define Blacks. I want my son to define himself. I want my son to know that he can be raised in an 95% Black neighborhood and still attend an excellent public school in PG County which exist in PG County.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
No, you did not prove that Charles County houses cost more then PG county.
Did you see my prove that PG cost of living is higher then Charles County?
All of the suburbs of Dc are the most expensive areas to live in MD.
Charles County is not apart of Dc surburbs. Majority of the imports now into Charles County are those moving out of DC suburbs due to the high cost of living since Charles County is cheaper then DC suburbs.
1)Cost of Living is higher in Charles

2)Charles county is a D.C suburb

3)People moving to Charles are coming for the school sysytem and becuase PG county is crime ridden.

................these are all facts.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,852 times
Quote:

Since both Bowie Town Center And St Charles Town Center are both owned by the same company, I would suspect some of the reasons there is a difference is because of Bowie being much newer than St. Charles, and the on-site management team might not be as capable at St. Charles.

The same company also owns the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. But I suppose you would consider Bowie Town Center more upscale than that mall also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland