Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM

13 posts, read 52,301 times

Advertisements

Hi-I was hoping for some advice on renting as a single woman with a dog and two cats in the Germantown/Gaithersburg areas. I will be working in Gaithersbrug and trying to see what I can afford that is commutable. I only have one friend in the area who has no idea beacuse she rents for 1600.00 a month in Rockville! I am hoping to find an apt that is less than 1000.00 and that will take my dog (shephard/sheltie mix) and two cats. I actually would prefer to find an apt rental in a house but not rent an entire house ( I know that is too expensive). I do not see manyof these advertised on Craig's list. I did see two basement apts in the 700.oo range (is that too good to be true?) I've also seen compexes with 1 bedroom apts for 900 or so. So basically, I'd like to know what I can expect realistically in terms of my price range and animals which many have told me to lie about and say that I have a dog and one cat and they will never look in an apt comlex situation. I'm also concerned about breed restrcitions, as my dog definately has the face of a German Shephard and some places won't take that dreed, even in a mix, even though she is only 40 lbs. I appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 PM

148 posts, read 640,429 times
Default Do yourself a favor and lose a cat. Just one. In Name Only. :)

I hate to reiterate what others have said already, but yeah, you're going to have a hard time finding a place that will allow three pets. It's been two years since we tried to find a place (and we have two cats and two dogs).

If you can deal with some loitering and dealing with a laundry room instead of in-suite laundry, then The Hamptons at Town Center is a place to look at. Most reasonable rent in Germantown that isn't a complete dump.

The Pinnacle complex across the street from The Hamptons also takes pets, but is twice as expensive (newer property).

Before we changed our minds and decided to rent a house, we'd almost signed a lease for Park Station Apartments in Gaithersburg. Really nice apartments, quiet, has laundry, didn't give us a problem about our dogs (and we have 2 200lb rare breed dogs.)

I wish I could give you more help on the going rental rates, but two years is too long ago to be of any use now

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Oh, and what are you doing in MD, since it's neither NY nor Houston?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Smile Thank you

I really appreciate your response. I can't seem to change my username from nytohouston. I've been all over this site but can't figure it out.
Anyway, thanks for the info. Does this area have rentals out of houses where you are not renting the WHOLE house? Like an apt in a three family house. In NY that is so common but I don't see any on Craig's list. Thank you again!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:36 AM

70 posts, read 273,522 times
peoplewithpets.com is pretty helpful I have a 75 pound golden lab and we're renting in Frederick.........

Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Default Frederick

Is Frederick commutable from Gaithersurg? It's hard to tell with on=-line maps to know if they are accounting for traffic at rush-hour.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM

70 posts, read 273,522 times
Well, a lot of people do it. BUT most of the traffic is going from Western/Northern Maryland to either Baltimore or DC. I do not live there yet, so hopefully someone else will post who has experienced that.

If you are interested in renting in Frederick, look into The apartments at sunset, crystal park apartments, and I also almost rented a condo from someone for just over $1,000 in a newly renovated complex called Jefferson Chase condominiums. Let me know if you want their name. It's a 3rd floor 1 bedroom with about 1000 square feet. All of the above allow pets (Real pets that weigh more than 20 pounds.... )

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Thank you! I am not at the actual renting point but I appreciate the info. and will let you know if I need that information.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM

As far as renting a room or space in a house, that arrangement is actually common around here, but hard for an outsider to find. .. lemme clarify. Most people who find arrangements like that do it through family, and it's normally with tight-knit ethnic communities. (For example, my Vietnamese friend found that type of arrangement through a friend-of-a-friend-of-the-family, and made the arrangements from over 1,400 miles away )

I know plenty of people who have that arrangement, but none who went through the normal channels (ads, craigslist, etc.).

Hopefully if anyone knows otherwise, they'll post.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 AM

Default Thanks for home apt info

Very interesting. In NY, that is what is normally advertised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland