U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 14,047 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone is familiar with the area of Silver Spring right near the Wheaton Metro?

We are looking at some townhomes there (new construction) and want to find out whether or not the area is safe and a nice place to live.

We really like the 20910 zip in SS - great character and walkable lifestyle - but the prices are scary for what you get. Most of the homes look outdated and whacky floor plans (around 450/550K range). Most need some updating (kitchens, baths, etc.)

Is this area near the Wheaton metro considered Wheaton or SS? Is it relatively safe?- we are coming from Miami (not middle America).

We will have a child - are there parks near by?

Several people have commented that the schools are not as good as SS, but I'm wondering if they are still above average?

Any advice on the area would be helpful. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 75,405 times
Since you're coming from Miami I assume you speak spanish which you will need in Wheaton . The area near the Wheaton metro is considered Wheaton but keep in mind that these are not incorporated cities so the lines are fuzzy. It is really one big urban/suburban area that runs together with each area having its own "feel". Silver Spring and Wheaton have some crime but I grew up here and still live here and consider it safe, especially compared to some other areas in and around DC. Coming from south florida I don't think it will be anything you can't handle. There are lots of parks in the area - no problems there. I'm a little confused by your question - 20910 is closer to Silver Spring and Forest Glen metro stations, it's not really in Wheaton. Are you asking about the two different areas? Also keep in mind that 20910 spans some really different neighborhoods on its own. Schools are better in Silver Spring than Wheaton, Montgomery Blair in SS has two magnet programs and is nationally recoginized. Einstein and Wheaton HS are on the lower end of MoCo high schools, but are probably still good when ranked nationally. I've lived here most of my life so if you have any more questions fire away.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 25,596 times
I think Silver Spring/Kensington/Wheaton is safe. I wouldn't hesitate living there if I found a good deal on a home. The new construction in that area will just increase your enjoyment with new shops and urban parks to use at you disposal. Housing is sought after in Silver Spring/Kensington/Wheaton so prices stay fairly competitive.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM

198 posts, read 881,166 times
All of Wheaton is considered Silver Spring. Wheaton is an area within Silver Spring, not its own incorporated city. In general the area in the 20910 zip is going to be much more desirable than Wheaton. I don't know if Wheaton has more crime than 20910, but Wheaton does have a reputation for having crime. I took the Wheaton metro every day to work for about 5 years and never had any sort of problem either early in the morning or sometimes late at night at that metro.

If I had kids I would think twice about moving to Wheaton. The schools are among the lowest scoring in Montgomery Co. Schools in the 20910 zip are also not among the highest performing schools in Montgomery Co., but they do have a better reputation than Wheaton's schools. Wheaton does have some great positives, shopping, great ethnic restaurants, great access to public transportation for getting into DC and around the county. Personally I would rent in the area before you make any decisions about where to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland