U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:50 AM

792 posts, read 2,870,507 times

Advertisements

I was curious about Bel Air, MD and what it is like. Is it a young outdoorsy community (cycle, running) with a lot of singles and decent nightlife? How are the establishments in town (i.e. pubs)? What about the commute? Is Elkton, APG, and Baltimore commutable from here and is there any buses?

Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 PM

122 posts, read 667,263 times
I've lived here since 1994.

Never noticed anyone running or cycling through Bel Air, but have noticed people walking their dogs in the morning.

Most joggers will head to the Ma & PA trail. It's very close to Bel Air.

As far a nightlife, Friday and Saturday nights can be busy in town. Looney's Pub packs them in, Green Turtle is another popular place.

Sean Bolans Irish Pub is across Main Street from the Green Turtle, has pretty good food too! MaGerks is on the next block over, on Bond Street.

There are other places if you want to drive to them.

The commute to Elkton and APG is not too bad, since most of those residents are probably commuting to Baltimore. But the Baltimore commute is pretty brutal. Usually starts backing up on I-95 at exit 77, which is the Rt 24 Bel Air interchange. Count on lots of stop and go traffic until you reach the inside of the beltway. There are surface roads that offer a quicker alternative.

Not sure about buses. Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 AM

792 posts, read 2,870,507 times
I was actually curious about Charm City running club and the Play Action Sports Club (based in both Bel Air and Newark). My one friend moved to Perryville and talks all the time about Bel Air being a great place.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM

866 posts, read 2,374,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
I was curious about Bel Air, MD and what it is like. Is it a young outdoorsy community (cycle, running) with a lot of singles and decent nightlife? How are the establishments in town (i.e. pubs)? What about the commute? Is Elkton, APG, and Baltimore commutable from here and is there any buses?

Any info appreciated.
Bel Air is very suburban. It is predominantly a family area, though it (along with areas like Abingdon) has its share of singles and young professionals working at places like APG.

For nightlife, there are a few popular pubs and restaurants, and any chain restaurant you can think of. And you would definitely need a car to get around.

The commute to APG is very doable, though I imagine even the back roads will be getting more and more congested in the coming years. The commute to Baltimore is awful. There are busses, yes, but of course they sit in the same traffic as everyone else.

I recommend visiting it and seeing if it is a good fit for you. The bulk of the business and restaurants are close to the intersection of Route 24 and Business Route 1.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 29,699 times
Bel Air is an awful place. All it is is strip malls and tons of traffic everywhere you look. It isn't pedestrian friendly in the least bit nor is there anything genuine about this place, which may as well be called Anywhere, USA.

Don't move here if you don't want to fall into the suburban trap. You can't get anywhere without a car, and even if you go to Baltimore, there is hardly any safe public transport there.

The down town of Bel-Air features a mockery of a town center with maybe three blocks of cobble stone streets and some stupid pubs that smell like vomit.

Sorry to be so negative, I just really dislike this locale and would much rather live in Montgomery County, Maryland or in Washington D.C, where it's much more urban, developed and for the most part more interesting.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 PM

30 posts, read 169,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkalasch View Post
Bel Air is an awful place. All it is is strip malls and tons of traffic everywhere you look. It isn't pedestrian friendly in the least bit nor is there anything genuine about this place, which may as well be called Anywhere, USA.

Don't move here if you don't want to fall into the suburban trap. You can't get anywhere without a car, and even if you go to Baltimore, there is hardly any safe public transport there.

The down town of Bel-Air features a mockery of a town center with maybe three blocks of cobble stone streets and some stupid pubs that smell like vomit.

Sorry to be so negative, I just really dislike this locale and would much rather live in Montgomery County, Maryland or in Washington D.C, where it's much more urban, developed and for the most part more interesting.
Bel Air is more than Route 24 and Route 1. I agree that the areas off of these roads are too crowded, overpriced and tacky. Too many townhomes, big box stores and corporate restaurants...we definitely need more family run ethnic food restaurants/bakeries. You are also correct in that public transportation around here is not great, but the train is do-able. Fortunately, Downtown Bel Air has improved, there are now a few decent places to eat. However, the restaurant bars get a bit crowded with youngsters and mullet heads after 9pm.

Parts of Bel Air are nice, upscale suburbs. There is so much more to Harford County than B A. Harford has lots of great outdoor activities, good schools, very accessible waterfront, cultural activities, etc... Having lived in the DC, area for 10 years, the pace of life here is far less stressful, more affordable, and far more family friendly.

Kalkalasch, please articulate what you mean that there is nothing "genuine" about this place? Are the suburbs of NoVA or even Montgomery county really that pedestrian friendly? Problem with strip malls? What about NoVa with mega Tyson's Corner and Rockville with its endless parade of strip malls? They make Bel Air look reasonable. Even you have to acknowledge that the entire DC area has fallen into the "suburban trap." Problems with DC area: the rush hour starts at 4 am and ends at 7:30; the roads are still inadequate; every realtor is convinced that it is ok to have bidding wars on houses and pay more than the asking price. A 45 minute to 1 hour commute from B A to Baltimore is not that bad in comparison. Besides, if you need to visit a big city, DC is <90 miles away, NY is about 3 hours. Kalkalasch, why are you so unhappy here?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM

131 posts, read 647,346 times
I too lived in suburban DC (Montgomery Co.) and fled the place after five years. I can't believe kalkalasch complained of the traffic in Bel Air and then suggested Montgomery Co. That was good for a chuckle.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM

122 posts, read 667,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkalasch View Post
What down town Bel Air are you refering too? That's certainly not BEL AIR, MARYLAND.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 AM

866 posts, read 2,374,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayStreet View Post
What down town Bel Air are you refering too? That's certainly not BEL AIR, MARYLAND.
There are a couple of streets not too far from Harford Mall that resemble a traditional downtown. But it's surrounded on all sides by miles of traffic and shopping centers and housing developments.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 19,475 times
I live in Bel Air and have for 3 years now. I don't have any major complaints. There are plenty of things to do like shopping, movies, parks, etc. I am into biking and many people ride, and run, in Bel Air. Lots of quiet neighborhoods to enjoy while running or biking. Also, with the main routes like 22, 23, and rte 1 close by you can enjoy biking through town and then more rural areas with farmland. There are also plenty of bars downtown and around the Festival. I commute to Baltimore and Towson often and don't find it too much of a hassle. Just like any cities, rush our is a pain, but definitely, bearable.
I think Bel Air is lovely, with enough for me to do. Especially with several state parks close by for hiking and biking. I hope I was of some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland