Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 11,884 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I'm looking to move to the Hyde Park Condo's off of Christopher Ave in Gaithersburg and was looking for some insight. After reading some of the existing posts I'm a little concerned because of it's close proximity to Lakeforest Mall. From what I can tell TrippingJay is the authority here so I hope he's still around. In my search for a condo I tried to avoid Montgomery Village because I heard it can get bad out there. I'm not sure if Hyde Park is considered the Village or not but it is close. I drove around the area during the day and at night but it seemed quiet and safe. I'm a 27 year old male so I can protect myself but I'm concerned about resale value too. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM

658 posts, read 1,779,614 times
I wouldn't say I'm the authority, but I've lived and worked in Gaithersburg to know the good and bad parts.

Christopher Ave is not bad. I would not call it the greatest area, but compared to Lost Knife Rd or the Walkers Choice area in Montgomery Village; it's worlds better.

I believe Hyde Park condos are bordered by Montgomery Meadows (townhomes) and Breckenridge (apartments). Both are very nice communities and I've rarely heard anything occuring there. There is also a Bloom, Costco and a library off Christopher.

Resale value is hit or miss. The housing market is in the tank right now locally, but it's a convienient location and I would imigine the area is poised to go under a revitalization soon.

I would also see what's available near Quince Orchard, Great Seneca Hwy, and Rockville. With the market the may it right now, you could probably score some very good deals.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 37,441 times
I've rented in Breckenridge, and it and some surrounding complexes are certainly nicer and a bit safer than most of Montgomery Village. I was there a little more than a year and I never had any safety problems, though my parents and neighbors did claim to hear gunfire one night. It's kind of funny though, you the more you go on Christopher towards 355 the safer it feels, and at the intersection of 355 and Christopher are very nice Lockheed and IBM facilities that I'm thinking of having a positive effect on their immediate surrounding areas.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 11,884 times
I truly appreciate the insight. It's been a big help.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 37,441 times
Just to add, I'll echo Trippingjay to stay away from the Walker's Choice area and the other apartments on the North side of Montgomery Village Ave. that's on the other side of Whetstone Lake

Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 AM

598 posts, read 2,068,935 times
Christopher Ave. is really not bad at all. As the above poster said, there are other areas that are much worse. In fact, some of the condos back there (not sure if it's the ones you are looking at) are really nice!

Yeah, I agree with you that Lakeforest Mall isn't that great. BTW - it used to be a nice mall! Went way downhill.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:20 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,481,660 times
I live at Christopher ave. and it is pretty good.....no troubles i ever heard....i live between christopher avenue and russel avenue.......lost knife doesn't look so good though

Old 06-21-2015, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,788 times
Default Former Resident

That neighborhood is not entirely safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Christopher Ave, Gaithersburg-redactedthreat.jpg  

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,962,556 times
In the early 1960s, when the Ketlers purchased a large block of farm land to build their model community, they bought nearly all the land North of 355 between Oden'thal and Watkins Mill Roads. Hence the Montgomery Village sign at the corner of Montgomery Village Ave and 355. Their vision was for the lands close to 355 to be developed commercially. The Holiday Inn at 2 Montgomery Village Ave is an example. Lakeforest Mall was built on Ketler lands and got its name from wooded area with a small marshy lake that used to occupy the site . The HOAs and Condo Associations that make up the Village proper are generally north of Lost Knife and Christopher Ave due to the zoning chosen by the Ketlers and the fact they sold some of the land in the commercial area to finance their project in the Village. The area along Christopher is sandwiched between a lower income Apartment complex on Watkins Mill Road and Library (a hang out place to use computers for entertainment, the Mall (another hangout place) and the Regional Transit Center on Lost Knife that brings most of the bus routes in this area to a common stop for transfers. The Food Lion is a low cost grocery chain and has a largely colored clientel. An attempt to change it to a more upscale type of market failed and it was returned to the Food Lion brand. They were just bought out by Giant Food's parent Ahold so it might be shut down. Hopefully something might move into the site.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 PM

789 posts, read 1,085,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The Food Lion is a low cost grocery chain and has a largely colored clientel.
Thanks for the word choice great-great grandpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland