Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 PM

206 posts, read 631,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMan View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a home in Coopers Landing, but I'm not too sure about the area. The community itself is nice though, but the area (particularly the area where the Walmart is - coopers lane and annapolis road) is where I'm not sure of. Any thoughts on that area?
Nothing in P G is really safe. It's just that some are less safe than others. Even in nicer communities, where the homeowners worked hard to leave the crappy areas of DC and P G to build a solid middle class life, the bad element follows them be they friends or family from past neighborhoods.

For the most part, the safest part of P G is outside the beltway in the northern part of P G. This area is safer because it's basically a sleepy bedroom community, nothing more.

There are some malls in the area that of course attract the bad element. That includes Bowie Town Center and Laurel Mall.

A bit south of Bowie Town Center is Largo Town Center. I suggest that you avoid this mall at night. Many people have been shot up and killed there. Many knucklehead kids love to troll this mall. Two people got shot and killed watching the superbowl at Uno's.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-06-2008 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Do not post "pee gee." It's PG County.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,193,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katethekitty View Post
I went to college with some students from Landover, and they even said isn't not safe to walk the streets there...
Well, I didn't hear it from so and so or anything but I actually lived there and was raised there so straight from my mouth, "no isn't safe."

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
A bit south of Bowie Town Center is Largo Town Center. I suggest that you avoid this mall at night. Many people have been shot up and killed there. Many knucklehead kids love to troll this mall. Two people got shot and killed watching the superbowl at Uno's.
There was recently a curfew put on teens hanging out there after a certain hour without adult supervision. Hopefully this would be of some help.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
I can't be paid to live anywhere else. I consider myself the face of everything good about this county. I am Black, raised in this county, well-educated, highly-motivated, law-abiding, God-fearing, street-smart and beautiful. What a combination!! I live my life to give back to my community.

I am so tired of the negativity and Prince Georges County bashing on this forum. This county is not for everybody especially if you can't live among a predominantly Black community of diverse people. If you don't want to live here, fine. Just stop commenting every chance you get. Montgomery County is not for me. Charles County is not for me. Anne Arundel County is not for me. Howard County is not for me. Do you get it? I don't get on here and bash those areas. To each his own.
The toughest thing about PG County is that if you have kids, you're always worrying about the schools. You're paying some of the highest taxes in this area, but don't get the benefits that come with it, like good schools and low crime.

PG County relies a lot on home sales (transfer tax) and property taxes to finance their budget. With the downturn in the real estate market, PG is especially hit hard because of the poor schools and lack of white collar jobs in the county. PG's got some of the most reasonable prices for homes in this area...but no one's buying there. That tells you something.

You could move to a more expensive area like Woodmore in PG, but the schools are still mediocre compared to the other counties in this area, even if they are the best in PG.

This is not about black, white, asian, hispanic, etc. It's about the state of the county and what it has to offer.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
The toughest thing about PG County is that if you have kids, you're always worrying about the schools. You're paying some of the highest taxes in this area, but don't get the benefits that come with it, like good schools and low crime.

PG County relies a lot on home sales (transfer tax) and property taxes to finance their budget. With the downturn in the real estate market, PG is especially hit hard because of the poor schools and lack of white collar jobs in the county. PG's got some of the most reasonable prices for homes in this area...but no one's buying there. That tells you something.

You could move to a more expensive area like Woodmore in PG, but the schools are still mediocre compared to the other counties in this area, even if they are the best in PG.

This is not about black, white, asian, hispanic, etc. It's about the state of the county and what it has to offer.
I'm sorry. I'm missing your point. I have kids. I'm not worried about the schools. I work in the schools. I'm working to make it better everyday. I was raised and educated in this county. I'm not interested in moving to a more expensive area like Woodmore in PG. I don't like it. Like I said before, to each his own.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 6,382,965 times
Moderator note: Please be mindful that one persons opinion will not necessarily be anothers. Please do not engage in debates. The OP deserves to have his/her question answered. Thanks,
7th

Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,998 times
I live in Pg county and I recommend Pg county to anyone. When society talks about areas that is majority white they tend to separate them vs Black areas where people tend to group them as the same.

People separate Washington Dc. The areas where it is majority white is safe and the areas where it is majority black is not safe why not put Dc in the same group.

Same for Montgomery County Md. People say Bethesda,Chevy Chase is safe but portion of SIlver spring,wheaton and other areas is not safe but they recommend Bethesda.

When it comes to Pg county people group Bowie, Upper Marlboro,Clinton,BrandyWine as the same as Hyattsville,Takoma Park when we know Bowie,Upper Marlboro are nothing but college educated African Americans who are financially successful in life but yet society put them all in the same class while people separate none educated whites from educated whites. Why is this?

I 100% believe in my heart that it has to do more with color. All of a sudden Dc is now cool to live since more whites moved into Dc before people would say Dc is dangerous.

I live in Upper Marlboro PG county and I love it. My community is nothing but educated Blacks who are all successful in life. I love the fact that I can raise a Black son and have him see that Blacks are educated and we are smart and he does not have to play this race game. I love the fact that my son can go outside and see our neighbors who are either a principal, very successful black businessman or woman,well grounded Black families with educated mothers and fathers some are lawyers,doctors,nurse,Engineers,etc. I have never seen a thug in my community. There are no thugs in my community we are all trying to live the American dream. The school in my area are excellent. I am happy and so are my neighbors. I am one Black mother who do not feel I need to live among whites to raise my child in a very good community. I know their are plenty of educated/successful blacks which is one of the reason we moved to PG county.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,282,998 times
I live in Upper Marlboro in PG county and I have never witness any crimes. I have never seen one thug in Upper Marlboro as a matter of fact the only crimes I saw was a white man in Montogmery County buying drugs and he was shot and my mom was the one who called the police and saved his life.

I love living in PG county and do not see my family and I living any where else. My son will attend one of the best public schools in MD and yes it is in PG county.
I know you can live the American dream in PG county. I know you can raise a family in a safe area living in Pg county. I know not everyone in PG county are thugs/murders. I know this because I live in PG county and love it.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

lscalder, I feel where you are coming from. Not only is it upsetting it is hurtful and totally unnecessary. Maybe it's not racism, just call it haterism! Haterism of middle class blacks. You don't have to read between the lines, it's there in bold print. I know what I'm talking about because I was raised in this county. I remember when it wasn't majority black. Now it is. Wonder how it happened? It's called white flight.

My family moved to one of the poorest sections of Landover in the mid 70's. It was all black and crime infested and it still is. The schools were a mixed 50/50 ratio of black/white because we were bussed. Certain clubs I wanted to join in high school met at odd times before/after school and on Saturdays when there was no activity bus. Most black students did not have a car to drive to school. But there was a metro bus stop a whole mile from the school so I rode the metro.

I was one of the first black girls to make the all white pom pom squad at my school. I wasn't trying to join to prove something. I just thought they looked nice, they were a winning squad at competitions and I wanted to be a part of it. Walking down Good Luck Road to the metro bus stop is the only time in my life that I have been called the "n" word. They even threw things at me. I was afraid. This was 1980.

By the late 80's/early 90's, that area was all black (and other) and middle class. When I went to my 20 year reunion, some of my white classmates were talking about how no one lives in the area now. They all live in Crofton, Gambrills and other counties.

I said all this to say, the crime and low-income has always existed in Prince Georges. It's when the whites didn't want to live next to the middle class blacks who moved into their neighborhoods that you had this white flight and hence the negative comments blown out of proportion that you see now on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
No one have to to mention race come on read between some of these remarks and you will understand. PG County is the only majority Black County in MD and it is the only one you mention for no one not to live in even if the person did not asked about PG County.

It is so upsetting to see people generalize the entire PG county as a whole. I have never read one of your post where you mention PG county is the wealthiest African American county in the county or PG county do have its issues but their are wonderful parts with manicure lawns and families who are very educated.

The only thing I see posted about majority white areas are it is safe and the familes are well off as if all of Montgomery County residents are wealthy and all of the County is safe. No one have ever mention that portion of Montogmery County is not safe that is because we generalize whites in one category.

I finally see it is not your fault it is the way people like you were raised.
Example: In the media when they talk about poor whites they are called blue collar or uneducated or small town/rural America but when the media talk about poor Blacks they are just poor Blacks living the poor inner city.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMan View Post
Were you a resident of Coopers Landing in the past? What's your statement based on?
It's based on knowing the DC area and analyzing the data.

The data says PG County Schools are the worse in the DC area. That is true.

The data says the taxes are high in PG County. That is true.

The data says that crime and carjackings is high in PG County. That is true.

People keep talking about Bowie as so great. I lived in Bowie. I know Bowie. Bowie is great compared to other parts of PG.

Guess what? Bowie is majority white, although PG County is majority black.

http://www.muninetguide.com/states/m...lity/Bowie.php

I'm glad people on this blog have admitted Bowie is great. Now they can chew on the fact that Bowie is majority white.

Last edited by handy man88; 09-11-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland