Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talica View Post
Bunky I totallly understand where you are coming from. Sure the crime is one thing, but when you are approached by a victim and do nothing, that is the icing on the cake. I've lived here in the D.C. area for a couple of years myself (Originally from NY) and have never experienced people this petrified, prideful, and selfish. The way they ignored the victim is not a surprise. I totally agree about the racials tentions also. It would be unsurprising if the victim that you described was a different race than the people that she tried to get help from. The "tension" is not just tension at that point, it is pure hate. The social culture of D.C. really needs a drop of humanity. People rarely will donate one second of their time to assist someone else unless given something in return. As far as Carey has mentioned, I doubt this rape had anything to do with a gang initiation.
I lived in North Bethesda/Rockville for 4 years so I am familiar with the lifestyle. Considering my commute was 1/4 that of the average population in the area, I was not as affected by traffic as many others have. The social culture is quite self absorbed and I agree with you. Connecticut and Beach is not a 'gang territory', either, so it is quite shocking - I am guessing that the perpetrator is from a higher crime pocket in the nearby area. It is sad to know that even in crisis the people there do not help - BUT this is not out of character. Even pleasantries of yielding to pedestrians; however, is not part of the mindset here. When I moved from the area to FL, I found, again, the courtesies that I missed from living in the Southern part of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Ummmm...the crime did not occur in DC proper or in any urban area. It occured in a part of Rock Creek Park that is north of the Beltway and borders several middle and upper middle class suburbs.

As for racial tension, where? The victim was white and while I was not there, the people driving by were most likely white as well. Now the perp was black, but I doubt the victim's race was a factor. She was an accessible target of opportunity for him, nothing more. Were she black, she would have been hit as well.

Women are sadly raped all over the country and the world. Implying that it something unique to this area strikes me as imagination going into overdrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland