Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedisguise View Post
I have to agree with your first sentence. I'm white and have heard people say the same about living around "whites" and it didn't bother me. 95% of my neighbors are black. I told one of my neighbors that the term African American made little sense to me as my sister - white - was born in Africa and is an American citizen. What does that make her? He saw the sense of it but he is in a high profile position with the federal government and has to adhere to the PC terminology which bleeds through into his everyday life. The funny thing is his family is from the Midwest and they don't care one way or another. I think a lot of it has to do with our proximity to DC.
I agree with you about the term African American. It is the wrong way to describe people, but I don't has anything to do with region, it just has to do with what people were raised to believe what is right or wrong. With that said, I think you may have misunderstood my point. I don't have a problem with the term black. I would rather be called black than African American. The issue was with how the term blacks was being used. It was the context not the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM

169 posts, read 299,896 times
I think black or white are perfectly acceptable. How many times have you been working with a clerk in a store who had run off to get something for you when another asked to help you? At times when I answered there was a gentleman already helping I was asked if he was black or white. I was never asked if it was "the black guy" or "the white guy".

I think most people are probably OK with either black or white as it is not derogatory. It's like a roomful of cats, which one is yours? The calico one. It just so happens I am a dog person so you can apply the same logic there. What if 50 kids are playing on a schoolyard and the principal asks a teacher in charge which student is Thomas. If the easiest way to discern the student would be "the black kid with the red shirt on", so be it. There could be a white and Japanese kid with the same color shirts on. Make it easy, not difficult.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 193,581 times
I currently live in Waldorf , in the Pinefield divison and love it !! I dont think that it is the area where people live that make them rude or mean but just there nature . My area is very diveresed I have neighbors from all walk of life and enjoy the mixture and feel pretty safe here as well

Old 07-19-2012, 10:28 AM

We all children of God. This is why we all bleed the same

Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Waldorf

It is crazy the comments that are being made Think about what you are saying , you cant compare Waldorf with Alexandria when in fact you can . My son was only 9 years of age when he was jumped walking thru the trail near our home . I have relocated to guess where Charles County my son is now 17 years old and on his way to school. To say that to say things happen everywhere .

Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
I am really confused about this whole PG/Waldorf thing. I lived in PG County for 28 years and now I live in Waldorf for 11 years in the Autumn Hills Development and there are a mixed population there. Does it really matter the color of your skin? Crime will happen anywhere a bullet doesnt have anybodies name/color on it. Since you are so color struck and wondering where did the white people go. MOVE TO LOUDEN COUNTY.

THE MAXX

Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
waldorf needs to improve on there streets and not improve on entertaining kids. Waldorf roads are outdated for the large amount of new people that are moving to the area. one day on a even day it took me 35 mins to only get up the street from the 24hr cvs on leonardtown rd to 301 crain hwy and then i have to wait for all the long lights and all the high school kids that out riding around that have nothing to do but burn gas and cause traffic. Waldorf have a large amount of people moving to the area with the same old road structure, the Roads need to be widen. The traffic of waldorf needs to be though of before more people start moving in. More thoughts should be considered such as widening the roads but instead they are placing speed trap out to catch people after the frustration of sitting in the stop and go traffic for over 40 mins. Yes it is sad that it take me 37 minutes without rushing to get to the mall when it use to only take me 15mins yrs ago. Their are to many high school kids moving to the area and not enough jobs for the large amount of people that live in the area. minimum wage needs to come up in waldorf to support the large amount of new people that moved to the area which are driving the prices up on everything. The crime of waldorf has went up do to all the kids moving to the area, i had my house heater and a/c unit stolen from out my back yard. my fence was cut open to gain access to my yard and all my neighbors units were stolen as well. It is said that this is were waldorf is coming to and la plata md is just as bad or worst!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
I did my research on the area and found things that I bet people outside the county and many people that reside in Charles county wouldn't know the gang related activities take place more on the north side of Charles county which is referred to as " up norf '' by the teens
were areas such as Bryan's road which is called " B road " by most of the teens and Indian head. These areas are controlled by small gangs that may have differences with other small gangs that will lead to a lot of gun violence if you actually live there or visit you might see some of the local gangs or clicks Bryan's road or "B road " is ran by I set of bloods known as " 227 " wich is route that leads in to the area Bryan's road also has some other small gangs in the city but the 227 bloods and the other sets of bloods are the top dogs as some May put it. Other routes such as 425 224 are controlled by gangs which is controlled by a gang called wolf pack all of this is located on the north side of Charles county there are some gangs in Waldorf and the meadows in la plata but I wanted to let you guys know about the gangs that have Ben running for years in our county with any publicity it was shut out by the Charles county sheriffs to maintain indian head and Bryan's road peacefull look

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

311 posts, read 1,386,052 times
There's no more gang activity and especially shootings than an other area in the DMV. Show me your crime reports of numerous gang killlings such as that in Virginia, Montgomery, and recently Ann Arundel County. And don't give me any "fake" news.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:37 PM

17 posts, read 29,275 times
We lived Waldorf, Md. from 1980 through 1985. We moved before as the crime rate was high enough to have to move. The crime in PG county was awful and spreading down into Charles County like wildfire.
We move about 7 miles away into Pomfret, Md and lived there until 2010. The crime had become awful as well. Regular break-ins, assault and batteries...When we moved into our neighborhood, it was very quite and peaceful.
At that time, knives and assaults in schools, guns being brought into schools, middle school kids with a gun on the bus, school officials, teachers, and kids being assaulted in school. Makes me sick that people that buy homes, pay property tax, and still have to put up with this "you know what."

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Boy-Stabs-Girl-at-High-School-in-Charles-County.html

This was back in 2004. I have no more time to show just a sampling from an ever-increasing violent crime rate around that area.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.874826162cb3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland