Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
I grew up in Richmond, VA, my family still lives there, and I can tell you emphatically that there is NO NEIGHBORHOOD considered "least desirable" in Richmond that can be compared to Waldorf. When you're talking "least desirable" in Richmond, you are talking murders, and good deal more than the 2 or 3 that ALL of Charles County has had so far. When people make statements like this, that are so exaggerated, it tends to make everything else they say not credible, either. But to the original poster, you can decide for yourself.

I think TeamBenya has given a pretty accurate picture. People AND statistics say the same thing about my neighborhood, but my neighbors are great and my block is great.
well this is my take on things. i love richmond and never had a problem there at all...now Waldorf - another story. i have had several issues. maybe i was lucky in richmond and not so lucky in waldorf, no matter - i said i felt safer in richmond and that's my story. doesn't have to match yours. you give your opinion and let me give mine. i would not recommend waldorf to anyone. that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,052 times
Quote:
i love richmond and never had a problem there at all...now Waldorf - another story. i have had several issues. maybe i was lucky in richmond and not so lucky in waldorf, no matter - i said i felt safer in richmond and that's my story. doesn't have to match yours. you give your opinion and let me give mine. i would not recommend waldorf to anyone. that's just me.
Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but when it gives a picture that is inaccurate, i.e., comparing the worse areas of Richmond to Waldorf; it's very misleading and I just wanted to point that out to the original poster.

I am just becoming resigned to the fact now that running from crime in this country is becoming more and more a cat and mouse game. Crime moves in waves, and eventually everyone near the ocean gets wet. And now it appears that the shoreline is moving and the waves are lapping at people who were formerly on dry ground. If you have a lot of money MAYBE you can outrun crime by moving when the waves threaten. However, even very expensive areas are subject to the occasional gruesome, inexplicable crime. What does it matter to a person living in a $1.5 million home if they become the victim of a home invasion and their sense of peace is shattered? In the meantime, I'm living in the "hood" according to Fenell and others on this board, where I know my neighbors, we look out for each other, live so close on each other that we can observe what's happening at our neighbor's houses, and if i accidently push the "panic" button on my car alarm, I see 2 or 3 people looking out the wndow to see if I'm okay.

I'm just trying to say that this "looking for a safe neighborhood" is getting so overrated and really assures NOTHING. Yes, you feel safe, until you become a victim, then you just become another person bashing the safe neighborhood.

My point .... I don't know. I'm just ranting. LOL!

Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 PM

331 posts, read 1,198,123 times
I remember when Capitol Hill, Capitol Hill extended, Potomac Avenue, Eastern Market, Penn Quarter, Le Droit Park, Columbia Heights, Logan Circle and many other great DC neighborhoods were high crime, low income. Where did all of those people go?

They didn't just settle in Prince Georges, they also went to other areas and Charles County (Waldorf) is one of those places.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 PM

104 posts, read 637,200 times
I have lived in Waldorf for five years. I would NOT consider it ghetto, unsafe, etc. There are areas that are more desirable. (Zip code 20603 or White Plains) Hughsville is nice but it will make for a never ending commute, because it is so far out. The worse that I have come across are teens that congregate outside from time to time, playing cards, talking loud etc, but it was never unbearable. All in all I would recommend Waldorf.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 AM

646 posts, read 2,668,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
I remember when Capitol Hill, Capitol Hill extended, Potomac Avenue, Eastern Market, Penn Quarter, Le Droit Park, Columbia Heights, Logan Circle and many other great DC neighborhoods were high crime, low income. Where did all of those people go?

They didn't just settle in Prince Georges, they also went to other areas and Charles County (Waldorf) is one of those places.

I've lived here(Charle county) for 28 years ,I just don't see anything to back that up.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:42 PM

104 posts, read 637,200 times
I truly believe that anyone who considers Waldorf "ghetto", needs to visit any inner city and see if they say the same. It's not crime free-or perfect-but by and large I just dont think that it can be labeled as a ghetto.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I've lived here(Charle county) for 28 years ,I just don't see anything to back that up.
I don't know what you mean by "back that up". I just know relatives, in-laws, friends and families who left DC and moved to Prince Georges and Charles County. I'm a native Washingtonian. I'm 43 years old.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
I truly believe that anyone who considers Waldorf "ghetto", needs to visit any inner city and see if they say the same. It's not crime free-or perfect-but by and large I just dont think that it can be labeled as a ghetto.
No, I don't see it as "ghetto" either. I personally know people who have lived there all their lives that have had trouble with the law. Waldorf has always had that element (like any other place) but it's not a city that I would consider a hot problem spot full of crime.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,969 times
One of the big problem for Charles County is the surrounding counties such as PG county,Montgomery County and DC are all going thru big changes right now such as increasing property tax getting rid of section 8 and building upscale communities that low income families can not afford which is making them move to Charles County.

Change does not happen over night but if you notice in certain neighborhoods you will see plenty of houses for sale as if the residents are seeing high level of crimes that they are not used to.
Change is going on right now in Charles County. Charles County have always been majority white next yr it will be majority Black/Hispanic. The county is changing which is why I would not move to Charles County.

The county is nice for now but crimes are increasing every yr which means it will get worst to the point that residents of the county for over 20yrs or more will be moving.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 97,419 times
Default Thanks!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your input. It's very interesting to hear what everyone has to say about this area. I like the think that I am very open minded when it comes to diversity, but it does seem that everyone's take on the word "ghetto" is relative. Some people seem to classify an area ghetto, based only on the demographics of the residents, while others look at the crime stats. And for some people, 3-4 murders a year is horrifying, for others it might seem low. So, maybe if I tell you where we're coming from, you'll have an idea of what we're looking for.

Currently, my husband and I live in a transitional neighborhood (in downtown Orlando), but we are growing weary of it after 7 years. We bought our home from an elderly relative, but the neighhorhood doesn't seem to be making the progress we'd hoped for. Some very annoying renters have begun to move onto our street, and junk up their yards, and sit at lawn chairs at the edge of their driveways ALL DAY long drinking beer and stealing flowers from our manicured yards (that they use as a make shift centerpiece on their card table). If I didn't know any better, I'd say they are selling drugs, but maybe they're just enjoying the 200% humidity and 98 degree heat??? I haven't seen a "lemonade for sale" sign go up yet, so I don't know what their deal is, but they sure aren't the welcoming committee I want on the end of my street. They stare down cars as they drive by, and we know one of the guys has a rap sheet that's pretty long, involving driving on a suspended license...but nothing violent, so I guess that's a positive. We do hear about occasional breaks-in now and then, but no more than we do on the "good" side of downtown. What we don't get, are violent crimes, shootings or hate crimes. Which, for the latter, says a lot because many of our neighbors are gay men (the schools are questionable so we get a lot of people with no kids). I guess what I am looking for, is something better than where we are now. I don't want to live near people who don't care about their yards or have 10 broken down cars in their driveway. I don't want to get shot or mugged in my driveway because I drive a luxury SUV. And I sure as heck don't want to get car jacked on my way to Babies R Us with my 2 kids in the car.

By choosing Waldorf, could we be facing those things? We only plan to settle there temporarily, until we sell our home in Orlando and are able to buy something in La Plata. My husband and I are coming up there this weekend to secure a place to rent. One property we are considering (in Waldorf) is located on 4226 Mocking Bird Circle (at Lancaster Circle), behind the mall. According to the landlord, it's an established neighborhood and supposedly occupied by lots of Military personnel. Anyone have an opinion on this area? I have the craig list info, but don't want to post it here. Please email me directly if you want to see the listing, speshelly@gmail.com

Also, if anyone could post a link to a good site where I could check out crime reports for Waldof, I would be really grateful.

And one last question...would you say that the questionable neighborhoods are easy to recognize? Or do they look pretty safe until the sun goes down?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland