Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM

218 posts, read 547,011 times

Advertisements

Im looking at quite a few homes in PG county area....Clinton and Fort washington among other areas and I see a few homes say something about ground rents? What is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
The only time I've seen ground rent is if you're looking at something like a mobile home. Generally, you own the mobile home, but rent the land. That's the only time I've seen a reference to ground rent.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:10 PM

These homes arent mobile...they are new developments.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM

106 posts, read 442,114 times
It follows the same principal as a mobile home. When you buy you "rent" the land the house is on. This is a practice that goes back to when Maryland was originally founded. It is most common in Baltimore but there are a few in Prince George's county. I don't think you will find them anywhere else in the state.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:10 PM

so inother owrds I own the house but not the land? how can anyone sell a house that has a foundation but not the land...so if I decide to move I can tear my house up?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM

250 posts, read 1,377,581 times
Do the listings say that there is a ground rent, or does it say "buyer to verify" ground rent? If you're looking at foreclosures that are for sale, some of them say subject to ground rent verification, or something of that nature.

It's not that they have a ground rent per-say, but rather that there MIGHT be a ground rent and it needs to be verified one way or the other. Think of it as another way for the bank to reduce their liability in selling a home through technical jargon. Thanks to all the banks working hard to make it more difficult to sell a home they wrote a toxic mortgage on.

Last edited by TeamBenya; 10-07-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: error

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Arrogance View Post
so inother owrds I own the house but not the land? how can anyone sell a house that has a foundation but not the land...so if I decide to move I can tear my house up?
Not quite. Ground Rents can be complicated. Yes, you own the house. The land is on long term lease, which is the ground rent. It's usually a 99 year type of situation. When the house is sold, the cost of the annual ground rent becomes responsibility of whomever owns the house. It's illegal to create a new ground rent in MD, and they're trying to slowly phase them out. It was a pretty popular concept in Baltimore, but fairly rare in other areas of the state.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM

328 posts, read 1,539,764 times
It is still very popular in Baltimore..Don't think it is being phased out by any means. You can always buy the ground rent and be done with it...Just a thought

Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
It is still very popular in Baltimore..Don't think it is being phased out by any means. You can always buy the ground rent and be done with it...Just a thought
I wouldn't say it's "popular", but it's not uncommon. Here's what I meant by "phased out".

1) As of July 1, 2007, NEW Ground rents cannot be created. This means that in the future, the number of ground rent situations in the state of MD can only go down, not up, thus slowly phasing out an archaic system of real estate possession.

2) People with a ground rent have the right to buy out the ground rent, or "redeem" it. The rent holder (the guy that owns the land) is legally required to honor such a request. This means anyone that is in a ground rent that wants to buy it out has the absolute right to, at any time. Again, this is to encourage the reduction of ground rents.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,206 times
Another meaning for "ground rent" (pretty similar) comes from the Fisicrats (a group of 16th Century thinkers attempting to apply logical analysis to government matters). They defined "ground rent" or "locational rent" as that portion of all rent that a parcel could bring which is dependent only on the size and location of the land. Say you own a parcel. If everything you grew or built (including wells) were destroyed . . . you could still lease your land for its ground rent. The Fisicrats noted that the owner is in no way responsible for any increase in the ground rent. Ground rent for a parcel increases only because more people come to live around it. The Fisicrats reasoned that since it is society as a whole that increases ground rent . . . then society should regain some of that value by taxing that increase. The Fisicrats felt that taxing ground rents should be the primary source of government revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland