Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w senior View Post
There's a news report today in the Washington Post.

35% of high school seniors in Prince George's County will fall short on diplomas because they can't pass basic Algebra, Biology, Government, and English.

This 35% is more than double the Maryland State percentage of 17%.

Prince George's is the worst in Maryland, and Montgomery County is 18% while Howard is 7%. Even Charles County is 11%.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Those who have fallen short on the exams are disproportionately black and Hispanic students, including many from Prince George's County and Baltimore. Among black students, about 79 percent had met the requirement; among Hispanic students, about 87 percent had done so. For white students, the rate was about 96 percent, and for Asian Americans, about 97 percent."

One-Sixth of Md. Seniors Falling Short for Diplomas - washingtonpost.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, Eleanor Roosevelt, PG's "best" HS (only because of its magnet program), is not located in an "affluent" area...it's located in Greenbelt.
Not to negate what you have posted, but we all know the stats, and we all know the system is broken, nationwide and unfortunatley even worse in communities with high concentrations of minorities, but my question is what is the solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,029 times
In the last 10 years, I've taught in both PG and MoCo and the elementary level, both general education and special education.

My thought is this - you have performing schools and non-performing schools in both counties. You have involved parents and non-involved parents (for whatever reasons) in both counties. you have "good kids" and "hoodlums" in both counties. You have affluent areas and improverished areas in both counties. You have great teachers and teachers that suck in both counties.

What you DON'T have in both counties is the same type of leadership at the top of the food chain - and by that I mean the superintendent, followed by the Board of Ed (which hires the superintendent). MoCo has had one super since I've been there. I can't even count how many have come through PG in the same time frame - four? five? MoCo's super (Weast) is extremely high on accountability. It permeates throughout the system down to every teacher. You'd better know what is going on with your kids and able to detail what you are doing to intervene in areas of need. the BOE is constantly on his butt about everything (which is good because they are elected by the MoCo citizens to look out for the parents' (i.e. taxpayers) interests b/c he is paid a hefty salary for running the show. . .

can the same be said for PG (sorry, i dont know the currently leaving nor incoming superintendents name. . .) what are the citizens doing to ensure that they have a voice through their elected BOE??

This is just part of the picture but I think it's a relevant part. I also firmly believe that parents need to be more involved and stop making the school system the surrogate parent that it has become. but since you can't kick the parents out of the school for not doing their part, you can at the very least make sure your elected Board of ed is doing their d(*m best to represent your interests.

I agree 100% with all those who commented that it's up to the parents and the students to make ANY school system a success -- parents to make sure their students are doing the best they can and staying out of trouble and students to be motivated to do their best and stay out of trouble (and this can be very easily done by parents removing anything and everything from the kid's life that is distracting from them achieving to their potential in school and respecting authority at school). It ALL starts in the home. . .

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
In the last 10 years, I've taught in both PG and MoCo and the elementary level, both general education and special education.

My thought is this - you have performing schools and non-performing schools in both counties. You have involved parents and non-involved parents (for whatever reasons) in both counties. you have "good kids" and "hoodlums" in both counties. You have affluent areas and improverished areas in both counties. You have great teachers and teachers that suck in both counties.

What you DON'T have in both counties is the same type of leadership at the top of the food chain - and by that I mean the superintendent, followed by the Board of Ed (which hires the superintendent). MoCo has had one super since I've been there. I can't even count how many have come through PG in the same time frame - four? five? MoCo's super (Weast) is extremely high on accountability. It permeates throughout the system down to every teacher. You'd better know what is going on with your kids and able to detail what you are doing to intervene in areas of need. the BOE is constantly on his butt about everything (which is good because they are elected by the MoCo citizens to look out for the parents' (i.e. taxpayers) interests b/c he is paid a hefty salary for running the show. . .

can the same be said for PG (sorry, i dont know the currently leaving nor incoming superintendents name. . .) what are the citizens doing to ensure that they have a voice through their elected BOE??

This is just part of the picture but I think it's a relevant part. I also firmly believe that parents need to be more involved and stop making the school system the surrogate parent that it has become. but since you can't kick the parents out of the school for not doing their part, you can at the very least make sure your elected Board of ed is doing their d(*m best to represent your interests.

I agree 100% with all those who commented that it's up to the parents and the students to make ANY school system a success -- parents to make sure their students are doing the best they can and staying out of trouble and students to be motivated to do their best and stay out of trouble (and this can be very easily done by parents removing anything and everything from the kid's life that is distracting from them achieving to their potential in school and respecting authority at school). It ALL starts in the home. . .
You have made some very great points!!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post

My thought is this - you have performing schools and non-performing schools in both counties. You have involved parents and non-involved parents (for whatever reasons) in both counties. you have "good kids" and "hoodlums" in both counties. You have affluent areas and impoverished areas in both counties. You have great teachers and teachers that suck in both counties.

can the same be said for PG (sorry, i don't know the currently leaving nor incoming superintendents name. . .) what are the citizens doing to ensure that they have a voice through their elected BOE??

These two post are excellent and to the point. This is what I was trying to say myself in my prior post but the next poster decided to put all the blame on "parents and students".

Albeit PARENTS and STUDENTS need to step up and certainly do there part in any school system ultimately it starts with having to have a good clear direction for your school system to work and that starts with good Leadership. PG has been failing at this since I went to school there and I graduated in 1985. (Surrattsville High Class of 1985 )

They were pushing kids through the system back then and I'm sure they still are and its a shame in this day and age that its still going on. Heck is was shame seeing it happen back when I was in school.

Radical change is needed in all America's classrooms but that won't happen unless we as parents take back control of the classroom. We elect school boards and pay the taxes that suppose to go to the classroom.

If teachers want a Union that's fine, I see nothing wrong with that. But I'll be damned if we should continue to let the Teachers Union dictate curriculum or any other policies that have direct affect to our children.

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer either IMO (Except maybe raises for Teachers....good Teachers that is). That always seemed to be the answer when I was going to school. The County Exec or Superintendent would always blame cuts from the Governors House. But there is alot of "Bloat" in the system and in curriculum that doesn't help our children in the real world. Its time to teach our kids how READ , WRITE and Arithmetic. The Arts and Science's and prepare them for higher Education. That's there job...period !!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Removed content from deleted post.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
These two post are excellent and to the point. This is what I was trying to say myself in my prior post but the next poster decided to put all the blame on "parents and students".

Albeit PARENTS and STUDENTS need to step up and certainly do there part in any school system ultimately it starts with having to have a good clear direction for your school system to work and that starts with good Leadership. PG has been failing at this since I went to school there and I graduated in 1985. (Surrattsville High Class of 1985 )

They were pushing kids through the system back then and I'm sure they still are and its a shame in this day and age that its still going on. Heck is was shame seeing it happen back when I was in school.

Radical change is needed in all America's classrooms but that won't happen unless we as parents take back control of the classroom. We elect school boards and pay the taxes that suppose to go to the classroom.

If teachers want a Union that's fine, I see nothing wrong with that. But I'll be damned if we should continue to let the Teachers Union dictate curriculum or any other policies that have direct affect to our children.

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer either IMO (Except maybe raises for Teachers....good Teachers that is). That always seemed to be the answer when I was going to school. The County Exec or Superintendent would always blame cuts from the Governors House. But there is alot of "Bloat" in the system and in curriculum that doesn't help our children in the real world. Its time to teach our kids how READ , WRITE and Arithmetic. The Arts and Science's and prepare them for higher Education. That's there job...period !!!
Very well put - everything you said I agree with. And also I think that we should truly capitalize the entire school system of the U.S. Make competition available through vouchers and charter schools in the public school system so that public and private schools are all competing to stay in business -- I guarantee you that EVERYONE involved in the school system at every level will rise to the occasion because they want to keep their jobs!!!!! You don't perform, you go out of business. It's that simple. No taking over, no restructuring, no whatever they are calling it when the state takes over the school nowadays. . .just out of business, period.

Competition, not throwing money at the problem as you said, will work the "kinks" out of the system completely. But see, that's what the NEA is so afraid of. . . . (and all the workers/teachers/supervisors hanging in there to get their 30 years but they don't give a s*&t about the students. . .)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 AM

99 posts, read 505,265 times
Default curious

Just wondering if any of the people advocating for the "run a school like a business" idea (vouchers, charters, boo union, etc.) have any experience in education?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieber1029 View Post
Just wondering if any of the people advocating for the "run a school like a business" idea (vouchers, charters, boo union, etc.) have any experience in education?
The vast majority do not. Many have no experience in running a business, either. I have both.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:31 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
You know this post was the best I've come across in reference to education. There was actually a feasible solution that everyone can follow. This is what we need. We have made the education system a political machine or as other posters have pointed out, a business. This post needs to be printed out and taken to every Board meeting and PTA. Especially for our complaining citizens. Thank you all this post has really enlighten me.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieber1029 View Post
Yup, over 10 years worth. It's ain't working - nationwide- as it is now in the public school system. We consistently rank below other industrialized nations and below some third world countries in specific subjects (i.e., math). You want success? You approach it like a business. Believe me, the principal IS the CEO of a corporation with all that is involved. So, as I stated before, the quality of leadership (in this case at the school level, the principal(s) and assistant principals, if any) determine the quality of the school amd the expectations they have of parents and students determines, in great part, the output from the students.

It all flows down from the top, unlike " spread the wealth, trickle up economics". . .but that is for another post

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM

99 posts, read 505,265 times
gotta play the devil's advocate here:

In business you have control over your product. You control the quality of parts coming in and going out. If you do not like your supplier you can change and get better parts. This is not so in a school. Your parts (students) cannot be switched out for better quality parts. You can control your workers (teachers, staff, etc.) but cannot control what happens to your parts prior to their arrival at the factory.

Additionally not all parts are the same. You do not get carbon copies of the same part over and over again. One process does not work for all parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland