Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:23 PM

482 posts, read 944,842 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I currently live in NYC and I am considering a move to the DMV area. So far a few people have told me to investigate Suitland MD. If anyone has any information on Suitland and surrounding areas, please share. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 PM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
Hey Guys,

I currently live in NYC and I am considering a move to the DMV area. So far a few people have told me to investigate Suitland MD. If anyone has any information on Suitland and surrounding areas, please share. Thank you.

Do these people not like you?

Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do these people not like you?

Ummmm, I don't know how to respond to that. LOL. Just please give me your honest feedback, you may PM me if you think your comments may be too harsh for the board...

Old 11-01-2008, 03:53 PM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Much of the Suitland area is considered a crime hot spot. It is home to some of the poorest zip codes in the DC Metro area. PG County in general has very high car insurance rates due to the prevalence of car thefts, many of which happen there. I have a colleague who has been mugged three times and car jacked twice in Suitland. The HQ of the US Census Bureau is located there and to the credit of PG County government there is an effort to upgrade the area but is has been a decades long process with still no end in sight. There are other areas in the Metro area that are probably safer and cheaper.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Much of the Suitland area is considered a crime hot spot. It is home to some of the poorest zip codes in the DC Metro area. PG County in general has very high car insurance rates due to the prevalence of car thefts, many of which happen there. I have a colleague who has been mugged three times and car jacked twice in Suitland. The HQ of the US Census Bureau is located there and to the credit of PG County government there is an effort to upgrade the area but is has been a decades long process with still no end in sight. There are other areas in the Metro area that are probably safer and cheaper.

Ok thank you very much, I will look elsewhere.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 AM

35 posts, read 174,971 times
I used to teach in Suitland in the early 90's. I taught elementary and I was afraid to be in the neighborhood after 4 pm.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
Now suite Land do have quite residential areas. SuitLand is right next to South East Dc so crimes from DC comes right over to SUitland. Have you tried Temple Hills which is close to suiteland but is ok

Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 AM

321 posts, read 1,125,137 times
I agree with the person above me that I would rather live in Temple Hills than Suitland. However, as a general rule, the farther you go from DC, the less crime there is. The areas of Temple Hills near Iverson Mall (Hillcrest Heights) have alot of the same problems that Suitland does (crime, drugs, etc)

Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM

99 posts, read 505,153 times
Default Temple Hills over Suitland

I lived in Temple Hills and would never go back. I agree it's better than Suitland but that is not saying much. It is like comparing getting shot in the arm (Temple Hills) against getting shot in the stomach (Suitland). Yeah it is better but it's still awful. (Ironically both of those things may happen to you if you live in either place)

Old 11-02-2008, 01:01 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
My son goes to a wonderful school in Temple Hills. Not all areas are not so nice areas. Their are plenty of nice,quiet areas in Temple Hills. Every area in America have it hot spots and nice areas. You might live in a city where it is quiet then another area in that city might not be as quiet as where you live. We can not judge the entire city base upon one area.

I live in NW DC and I moved due to the drug selling but I would never tell any one not to live in NW DC not every area in NW DC have drug dealers. Each block might be different maybe I jus tlived ont eh wrong block. But to inform people oh no never live in the Entire Nw DC would be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland