Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,654 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Cleveland to the Eastern D.C. - Bowie area in June 07. My new office will be located in Bowie, but have no idea on what different areas I should look at. I've only heard that D.C./Baltimore is a lot of fun and most people love living there. I am 27 years old and work for a bank. I love city life - grew up on Long Island so I'm very familiar with "The City". I have considered living in downtown D.C., but I'm afraid my commute time will be extremely long and unnecessary. I've read several posts about Annapolis, but I'm still not sold on the area, and of course I will be making several trips out to visit. I am not married and would rather live in a younger community with more activities to keep me out of trouble. Looking at various rental websites I expect to pay around $1200-$1500 a month.

Any advice or help would be truly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,361 times
Rents aren't bad, but to PURCHASE a home is nothing short of INSANE compared to Cleveland.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
I recommend either Silver Spring, Largo, or maybe Dupont/Georgetown/Logan Circle/Adams Morgan if you don't mind the commute. I would live in Silver Spring which is easy access to the beltway and the halfway point to go into DC or Baltimore for all the cool stuff and to be around young people and not get bogged down in traffic

Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 AM

16 posts, read 91,037 times
The New Carrolton Metro rail stop is the last one in the orange line which is closest to Bowie from DC. There are metro buses that can take you into Bowie but only certain areas. I am not sure where in Bowie you will be working and not sure if it would work for you using metro. DC and Baltimore are probally around the same commute times when driving, with DC being a little less time wise. I would look at DC for the city life. Annapolis is not bad at all in my opinion on keeping you busy with things to do, but it is no city.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Default What is the backwards commute like out of D.C.?

If I lived downtown and worked out in Bowie, what would the commute be like? Is there a lot of traffic leaving the city or coming back in the evening?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:12 AM

16 posts, read 91,037 times
The commute out of the city will be filled with traffic. You would most likely take New york Ave out of the city which turns into rt50 which is a straight shot to Bowie. I guess it depends on where in DC you will live. You would be going against traffic, but it will still be congested. No traffic and you could make it to Bowie in 20 minutes. Traffic and you could double that. Most likely 30-40 minutes I am guessing on the average day. Annapolis would be around 15 minutes. Baltimore 45 to over an hour.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MCHPSI View Post
The commute out of the city will be filled with traffic. You would most likely take New york Ave out of the city which turns into rt50 which is a straight shot to Bowie. I guess it depends on where in DC you will live. You would be going against traffic, but it will still be congested. No traffic and you could make it to Bowie in 20 minutes. Traffic and you could double that. Most likely 30-40 minutes I am guessing on the average day. Annapolis would be around 15 minutes. Baltimore 45 to over an hour.

I'm not sure where in D.C., if D.C. at all, but most likely Northern Downtown...My office will be right off of 50 in Bowie

Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 AM

135 posts, read 605,991 times
If you will work right off RT 50 you should consider living east of your work location somewhere off RT 50. Your dollar will go alot further. Stay out of PG County.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 PM

184 posts, read 751,167 times
I would consider living in Bowie. There's a lot of new construction, a town center, and new apartments/condos. It's a little bit far from DC but you would save a lot of time commuting and you are close enough to use metro for nights out downtown. Living in DC and commuting out to Bowie everyday is doable but it will get very old. Route 50 is congested and NY Avenue isn't fun.

Unless you're working in Annapolis, I think it's too "old" for a single young person. Lots of older couples with boats. Cute, historic, but to me it's a suburb-by-the-sea.

I think our friend above is being way too harsh on P.G. County. Bowie is quite different than some of the old inner-ring DC suburbs.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM

184 posts, read 751,167 times
Silver Spring is a possibility. You'd be going against traffic. I hate commuting, though, so I'd try to live closer to work. If you're coming out to visit, though, I'd put it on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland