Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have looked on crimereports, too. I have found that petty theft is all over the state. Russett is a safe community. It has some problems just like any area but, let's be serious...it's not South Central Los Angeles or the Trinidad section in Washington DC. Russett is suburban. In fact, it's really more like Maryland City.

Anyhow, I use several factors to determine if an area is a safe. If you see women walk or jog early in the morning alone in an area...it's safe. If you don't see trash and graffitti everywhere...it's safe. However, I will admit that the area has had problems with prostitution near the liquor store (just outside of the Russett Community) and there is petty theft. Keep in mind, the community put pressure on the county to put a police substation near Russett. There are many successful and hardworking people in this area and they will continue to fight to keep it clean and safe.

I encourage anyone to look at their own neighborhood on crimereports.com. I think they will be surprised how much petty crime is going on these days. I am not sure if it is because of the economy or what.

Semper Fidelis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM

10 posts, read 31,846 times
"Safe" is a relative word. It really depends on where you are coming from. My neighbors from NY just shrug off the petty theft. Some would be so shocked with a bored teenager who gets a kick out of shooting BB guns(the parents aren't around much). Most of the reports come from the apartments and around the Walmart area. Let's face it, in this economy...it's not realistic to have a "crime-free" area around major cities. Any place has it's own pros and cons.... I have a friend who wanted to experience very low crime so they moved to a place one hour away from Fort Meade and her husband is on the road for 2 hours daily.

I presently live in Russett with my family. Been here for 7 years now... my daughter and I walk to the library and to the community pool. Of course just like in any populated suburban area, one must take the usual common sense pre-caution like locking the doors and not leaving anything valuable in the cars... that sort of stuff. There have been incidents like some people taking packages from doorsteps (the perpetrators have been caught and are from other places), that's why UPS implements signature upon delivery now.

Yes, I have seen the scantily clad women displaying their cellulite along 198 near the Laurel Inn during the warmer months but the police must have been more active in the past two weeks because I haven't seen any parades.

Last edited by GotSandGal; 08-03-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,957 times
The average law abiding employed citizen would not knowingly move in an unsafe or high crime area/development if they knew it was unsafe or could afford not to however Is any place completely 100% safe? As a registered nurse living in Russett River Village for ten years. I enjoy walking my dogs around the surrounding property and grounds as they are well kept and maintained. The neighbors are friendly Russett is conveniently located to grocery stores, auto repairs shops, Care First Medical, Wal-mart, Sam's, health clubs, approx. thirty minutes to District of Columbia and Baltimore we have private security that parole the grounds (essential everything you may need for your basic needs . Oak Hill Juvenile Center is near by, but so is Jessup (route 175) there are several correctional facilities in Jessup including CTP Hospital for the criminally insane as a health care provider I retired from CTP and worked periodically part time in several correctional facilities in the Jessup area. I found them all to be well guarded and secured. Unfortunately, the cheap motels in the area do attract undesirable people drugs and prostitution; however, which has always been a part of the society. However it is not something that is in your face and part of Russett to my knowledge this has no bearing or effect of the quality of living in or on the community of Russett. Furthermore there is a Russett Community Association and meetings are held regularly to address any issues affecting Russett community or the surrounding area of Russett. If asked to address the negatives of Russett would mention be prepared to pay annual association fees (for maintaining the upkeep of Russett) which could range between $600.00 to $800.00 depending on the parcel your property is located. The other issue is there is a committees that come around twice a year and inspect and the outside of your property for would-be repairs this can include replacing or painting the facade of your property, maintaining the appearance of your lawn, (this is contingent on the individual views as they can be excessive, and pernickety) failing to obey and comply and you will receive a mailed narrative listing specific infractions requiring repairs. failure to acknowledge and comply and the committee will again advise the owner of their intend to have the repairs completed at the owners expense. To be reasonable this does preserve the value of your property and the pleasant appearance of the community.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,957 times
Smile Oak Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahMan View Post
Anyone at the Russetts feel a bit uneasy knowing that the Oak Hill Youth Detenter Center is not to far from the Russett Community?

No worries the center has been there for years if the residents were to escape they will probaly attempt to get away and as far from rt. 198 as quickly as they could.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
I've lived in Russet for six years. It's great. I wish the shops on 198 were better, we really do have the economic power for more/better stores. As for the crime, I've also lived in Columbia, and over by AA Mills mall...the same reports although I've never seen any of this crime. I love it here because of the amenities and jogging paths. It's great for working at the fort...I have an 8 min commute, in this area that's amazing. I like the tennis pit and the multiple Olympic pools they do a great job putting the kids in one and the adults in the other, and keeping one for both and keeping a nice kiddy pool. They are volley ball corto as well, basketball courts that don't over crowd, multiple playgrounds for the kids. The apartments are an issue. Some of those people just don't fit in the community. Renters such especially renters of homes. When I compare 198 to 175 it has less "say areas" but both areas do well do to ft meade proximity. If you want to be south of base without living in PGA this is the place. I also love all the new monew comming Laurel. It's driving the price of homes up quickly in Russet.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'd think one would want to live in THE SAFEST area one could afford.
So if you can afford a place that costs more, then don't live there.

(Do I believe that depending on the area, cost does equate to 'safety" or less crime? -- yes.)

Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 AM

341 posts, read 423,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd think one would want to live in THE SAFEST area one could afford.
So if you can afford a place that costs more, then don't live there.

(Do I believe that depending on the area, cost does equate to 'safety" or less crime? -- yes.)

I was almost robbed in Alexandria after eating at an upper scale restaurant yesterday. When I lived off Seminary road, my car was broken into a few times. My friend who lives in a rowhouse in Old Town gets his packages stolen.

Now I live in PG and I haven't had any problems. Go figure.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
I was almost robbed in Alexandria after eating at an upper scale restaurant yesterday. When I lived off Seminary road, my car was broken into a few times. My friend who lives in a rowhouse in Old Town gets his packages stolen.

Now I live in PG and I haven't had any problems. Go figure.
thats interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland