Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM

331 posts, read 1,201,845 times

Advertisements

Third in the state for national board certified teachers:

Record Number of National Board Certified Teachers Honored During Pinning Ceremony

I'm considering starting the process myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:34 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,315,712 times
That is great news.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:46 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,411,274 times
Default Fantastic!

RaisedWell...go for it!

Iscalder: We found a community! Not moving though until spring.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,315,712 times
Where? congratulation

Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,943,428 times
However to the county, one step at a time, the county is slowly rebuilding itself, irregardless of fellow marylanders not taking an oppurtunity to look past what they may have saw on the news (the bias is evident, yet that is another topic), or what they "heard" about Prince George's County from "joe bob" down the street. I bet you have never set foot in the county, yet have more opinions and assumptions and self appointed knowledge in regards to the counties inner workings than those (such as myself and others on this board) who chose to invest in the county infrastructure, school system and government in lieu of hiding behind a message board and spewing venom which is no more than blatant racism, hatred and classism disguised as "IMO" or "JMO".

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned content

Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,448,651 times
Good news! Thanks for posting. Amen to cool rob.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 AM

269 posts, read 1,004,810 times
How exactly is this good news?! PG County has only 133 national board certified teachers, lagging very far behind Montgomery County with 479 certified teachers. Now that's a gap of 346 teachers, and yet both school districts are roughly the same size (131,014 students in PG County district compared to 137,814 students in Montgomery district)!! Anne Arundel County, with only a little more than HALF the number of students as PG County (roughly 73,066 students), beats us by having 159 board certified teachers.

The thing that bothers me about PG County, is the bar is set so low, and I can't believe that people (and the County Schools) are proud about these numbers.

Btw, did anyone catch that Washington Post article about how 4,000 Marland HS Seniors couldn't even pass the exit exam? It's a basic test set in Algebra, English, Biology, Government, i.e. stuff that should have been taught and learned in like the 9th grade! And what does the "powers that be" decide to do to rectify that gaping hole in Maryland Education? They issue waivers and dole out diplomas that will basically be worthless! This is why I think I'm gonna move to Fairfax County, because at least Virginia is more serious about educating young minds!

Policy Approved To Waive Exams For Graduation
By Nelson Hernandez and Daniel de Vise
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, December 19, 2008; B06

washingtonpost.com

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,448,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
How exactly is this good news?! PG County has only 133 national board certified teachers, lagging very far behind Montgomery County with 479 certified teachers. Now that's a gap of 346 teachers, and yet both school districts are roughly the same size (131,014 students in PG County district compared to 137,814 students in Montgomery district)!! Anne Arundel County, with only a little more than HALF the number of students as PG County (roughly 73,066 students), beats us by having 159 board certified teachers.

The thing that bothers me about PG County, is the bar is set so low, and I can't believe that people (and the County Schools) are proud about these numbers.

Btw, did anyone catch that Washington Post article about how 4,000 Marland HS Seniors couldn't even pass the exit exam? It's a basic test set in Algebra, English, Biology, Government, i.e. stuff that should have been taught and learned in like the 9th grade! And what does the "powers that be" decide to do to rectify that gaping hole in Maryland Education? They issue waivers and dole out diplomas that will basically be worthless! This is why I think I'm gonna move to Fairfax County, because at least Virginia is more serious about educating young minds!

Policy Approved To Waive Exams For Graduation
By Nelson Hernandez and Daniel de Vise
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, December 19, 2008; B06

washingtonpost.com

I understand your point, but every little bit helps. Hopefully tne numbers will continue to increase.

As for Fairfax County, yes the school system is admittedly better. That's why my ex-husband's sister and her spouse moved there. But guess what? They encountered enough racism (the school did not give her children the academic awards and recognition that were given to white students with similar achievement) and did enough fighting to put their children in a private, mostly black school. So, they had moved all the way out there (I mean aaaallll the way out somewhere near Dulles) and spent extra money for a house and ended up putting their kids in private school anyway.

One teenage daughter did go to a public high school, where kids were doing drugs and anything else they were big enough to do.

They eventually decided to move to another so-called suburban (or exurban) mecca -- Loudon County, and put their kids in the public high school. Where black parents were mad about racism, and a white teacher had slapped a black girl in the face.

I do think that in PG the current (acting) superintendent and top staff are interested in raising the bar, as was the recently departed superintendent.

But I don't blame anyone for considering Fairfax, MoCo and HoCo. I've considered them myself. On the other hand, I want to stay and insist that the PG school system does right by my kids. I'm still on the fence, and it's hard.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I understand your point, but every little bit helps. Hopefully tne numbers will continue to increase.

As for Fairfax County, yes the school system is admittedly better. That's why my ex-husband's sister and her spouse moved there. But guess what? They encountered enough racism (the school did not give her children the academic awards and recognition that were given to white students with similar achievement) and did enough fighting to put their children in a private, mostly black school. So, they had moved all the way out there (I mean aaaallll the way out somewhere near Dulles) and spent extra money for a house and ended up putting their kids in private school anyway.

One teenage daughter did go to a public high school, where kids were doing drugs and anything else they were big enough to do.

They eventually decided to move to another so-called suburban (or exurban) mecca -- Loudon County, and put their kids in the public high school. Where black parents were mad about racism, and a white teacher had slapped a black girl in the face.

I do think that in PG the current (acting) superintendent and top staff are interested in raising the bar, as was the recently departed superintendent.

But I don't blame anyone for considering Fairfax, MoCo and HoCo. I've considered them myself. On the other hand, I want to stay and insist that the PG school system does right by my kids. I'm still on the fence, and it's hard.
Thank you for your post. You said a lot. So you stay and insist that the school system raises the bar even higher.

IT IS GOOD NEWS BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE INCREASING, SKAPOV!! Duh, that was the reason why I posted this!!!

And yes, you are right about the racism, bowian. I have a friend who teaches in Fairfax County and she tells me all kinds of horror stories about white teachers and black students.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
sweetpotater58, what does that have to do with anything? That comparison and mentioning of George Wallace was unessesary, racist, unfounded and ignorant and has destroyed the vibe of this good news. As if every area does not have its problems, it sounds like you purposely waited for a positive thread about Prince George's County to come around, just so you could bash and steal the limelight from the good news that raised well shared. It looks to me that you are playing the "race bait" card, just for the sake of getting something started and attempting to share your "expert" opinion on what really goes on behind the "great red hidden wall of Prince George's County AKA the Third Reich (based on your description )" in order to hopefully ward off any thoughts of another race other than African-American migrating to, investing in and having a life in Prince George's County. If you are not part of the solution (which it sounds like you are not) then you are part of the problem which is widespread uninformed thinking like yours

However to the county, one step at a time, the county is slowly rebuilding itself, irregardless of fellow marylanders not taking an oppurtunity to look past what they may have saw on the news (the bias is evident, yet that is another topic), or what they "heard" about Prince George's County from "joe bob" down the street. I bet you have never set foot in the county, yet have more opinions and assumptions and self appointed knowledge in regards to the counties inner workings than those (such as myself and others on this board) who chose to invest in the county infrastructure, school system and government in lieu of hiding behind a message board and spewing venom which is no more than blatant racism, hatred and classism disguised as "IMO" or "JMO".
Thanks for your post. I wonder where these people come from? I agree with the racism that exists in this county and it's time to change because it is indeed a new day. I grew up here and I am a proud graduate of this school system. I KNOW I got a very good education. I have observed and absorbed a lot. I understand where the racism comes from. But that is for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland