Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 26,268 times

Advertisements

My wife and I might be relocating around the dc area. Where would be a good place to live in MD, which is not to far from dc and Baltimore? I will be working in Dc my wife maybe working in the Baltimore area.

We are looking for housing that is around 265,000 and down, safe area and a good school system.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 AM

262 posts, read 2,023,838 times
Post between Balt & DC

Between Baltimore & DC, you have Prince George's & Howard Counties, which have little to no housing under $265K in desirable areas. You can forget Laurel, Columbia, and Ellicott City, which are 3 of the nicest areas along Rtes 95/295/1.

Your best shot would be in Jessup/Elkridge, if you can snag a random townhome that pops up for less than $275K. Schools are very good, as in all of Howard County, and crime is literally nonexistant - BUT, these are the two worst parts of the county. Jessup houses a maximum security prison and a truck stop notorious for prostitution - but somehow it's still very safe. I put a bid on a similar-priced, VERY nice townhome there a couple years back. Prince George's is where I grew up and there are pretty much no desirable areas under $265K (maybe a condo in Laurel Lakes if you're single, or an older house in College Park??) The nice areas are exorbitantly expensive due to their proximity to DC.

My recommendation? Find a location that is not "central", but one that is equidistant from DC & Baltimore. Anne Arundel and Carroll Counties are two relatively affordable starting points. Try Millersville or Glen Burnie (try to stick with areas in the Old Mill school district) in AA County, and Westminster or Eldersburg in Carroll County. If you like someplace with a little more to do, try Frederick City which is west of Carroll County. Note that the DC commute in all of these places is much worse than the Baltimore commute. (DC - 1 hour plus, Baltimore probably 30 minutes or less.)

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,324,248 times
I'd like to echo pkoons comments. Tough to find housing in the DC-Bmore area for less than $300,000 for a nice place in a safe neighborhood. You might consider moving further away(almost exurbs) for affordability, but then the commute (unless you're on a rail line) would be long and tough. I live in northern Calvert county(great place with nice homes and good schools) but it's tough to find anything here under $300,000. I drive to downtown DC for work and my next door neighbor drives to western Baltimore county. I work with more than a few people who live in West Virginia and catch the train into town. I guess the pitfalls of a good economy and job growth (which the DC/Bmore area has) is finding affordable housing that's convenient and in a safe place.

btw, Anne Arundel county is nice and somewhat affordable, but just make sure the area you're looking at doesn't have a crime problem.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 26,268 times
Default Working in dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid311
My wife and I might be relocating around the dc area. Where would be a good place to live in MD, which is not to far from dc and Baltimore? I will be working in Dc my wife maybe working in the Baltimore area.

We are looking for housing that is around 265,000 and down, safe area and a good school system.
thank you
Thank you for your reply,
Now, I am l not looking for place between Baltimore and DC anymore. I just want to find a place, which is a good commute to dc, where the home prices are not at the 300,000 mark. Does any place sound like that? Either in MD, WV or vir.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 AM

262 posts, read 2,023,838 times
Post Brunswick, MD

Try western/northern Frederick County, MD along the MARC train line. Brunswick is a great community, as is Thurmont (15 mins. drive to MARC train stop).

For the most affordable housing, try Martinsburg, WV at the end of the MARC line. Keep in mind that these commutes are not "good" but rather "reasonable". You can probably keep the commute under 1:30. This is such a tight housing market that the cap for any big townhomes/small single family homes in the DC area is pretty much $350K. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM

22 posts, read 196,754 times
Default Your neighborhood is Frederick Road, Baltimore

I feel confident that the most affordable, convenient, and possible neighborhood for you and your wife will be a very decent neighborhood just on the border of Baltimore and Baltimore County in southwest Baltimore which is just off Frederick Road off 695. I have personally spent a lot of time in that neighborhood area, and it is relatively safe, quiet, affordable, and close to the highways - 695, 95, and 29. I can tell you about a dozen homes within your price range. I can even send you some satellite photos, crime and school info, etc.

Sincerely,
Richard McCollim
mccollim@cavtel.net

Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 PM

33 posts, read 241,987 times
Default No Good Commute

Quote:
Now, I am l not looking for place between Baltimore and DC anymore. I just want to find a place, which is a good commute to dc, where the home prices are not at the 300,000 mark. Does any place sound like that? Either in MD, WV or vir.
If you are looking for a home under $300k around the DC metro area in Virginia you will even be hard-pressed to find a townhome in that range. If you do, you will have to look about 40 - 50 miles south of DC and then your commute will be an absolute bear.

It is getting to the point where it is nearly impossible to find a home (especially newer) under $300k within a 45 mile radius of Wash, DC .... meaning MD and VA.

I grew up in MD but crossed the river in '94 so I know both areas well. I currently commute to DC from the Stafford, VA but we are moving to SC this coming weekend.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 PM

165 posts, read 927,237 times
Quote:
You might be able to find some of the much older homes in Southern MD without much land for near your price range but it's highly unlikely.

Any commute near and to DC in this area is pretty rouch and to stay in your price range you're looking even further out than most find comfortable.

You can possibly find some much older townhomes in the DC area but parking is a bear and I can't say much for the safety of these homes since they vary in locations across DC. removed

Good luck

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleblazer
You might be able to find some of the much older homes in Southern MD without much land for near your price range but it's highly unlikely.

Any commute near and to DC in this area is pretty rouch and to stay in your price range you're looking even further out than most find comfortable.

You can possibly find some much older townhomes in the DC area but parking is a bear and I can't say much for the safety of these homes since they vary in locations across DC. removed

Good luck

John
What I tried to share was connected to your cause. Do a google search for "dc oodle" and you'll find a website (not listed or mentioned here) that may help you in your search criteria. It's not a common one to use by most out of town people which is why you might generally like to see what it has to offer.

Last edited by Marka; 07-12-2006 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 07-16-2006, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 38,719 times
Default DC Commute

It's been a while since I lived in the area and worked in downtown DC but I had to live in Reisterstown MD to find affordable housing - took me 1 hour to get to work (and I left at 5:00 am).

Depending on where you work in DC there a LOT of van pools. A lot of the people I worked with lived in the Stafford/Fredrick Virginia area - there seemed to be affordable housing there - this was the mid-90's though. Trust me, in DC carpooling is the only way to go. They get to use the HOV lanes - you don't want to be stuck (and you will be stuck) in traffic DAILY. I'd suggest looking for carpool availability then look for a place to live around there. I really enjoyed the job I had there but the greater DC area was the WORST experience of my life - and it was mainly due to the traffic.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:46 PM

9 posts, read 45,632 times
Default Greenbelt is safe

Old Greenbelt (NOT Springhill Lake or East Greenbelt) is very safe. The GHI Co-op has homes under your price limit and places you in the only good school district in PG county (though I recommend home-schooling your kids over sending them to any Maryland high School not in Montgomery County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland