U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM

13 posts, read 88,306 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to MD in the fall; she'll be working at University of Maryland and I'll be at Johns Hopkins. I've been reading through the forum and have gotten some great recommendations for places that would be good to live between these two: Columbia/Ellicott City on the one hand, and Odenton/Crofton on the other seem reasonably equidistant, and perhaps one of us could take MARC to work. (Am I right in thinking that, from Odenton, I could take Penn line to Baltimore easily, while from Columbia, she could drive to Laurel/Savage and take Camden line to College Park easily?)

My question, though, is what about Annapolis and the surrounding area (Crownsville to Riva)? Would this just kill our commutes? I'm wondering if, for an extra ~15 minutes of commute (or how much extra would we be looking at?), we could rent a small house near the water for about the same price as a townhome in Odenton or Columbia. Or even a townhome in Annapolis, which seems like it might be more 'lively' than the others. We're mainly looking for a 2 bedroom place to rent for $1400-1800/mo. No kids yet, so schools not important, but we would like to live somewhere safe. Having restaurants, etc, nearby would be a plus and having a nice yard would be a great change from the cramped quarters out here in CA! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,220,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back_east View Post
My question, though, is what about Annapolis and the surrounding area (Crownsville to Riva)? Would this just kill our commutes? I'm wondering if, for an extra ~15 minutes of commute (or how much extra would we be looking at?), we could rent a small house near the water for about the same price as a townhome in Odenton or Columbia. Or even a townhome in Annapolis, which seems like it might be more 'lively' than the others. We're mainly looking for a 2 bedroom place to rent for $1400-1800/mo. No kids yet, so schools not important, but we would like to live somewhere safe. Having restaurants, etc, nearby would be a plus and having a nice yard would be a great change from the cramped quarters out here in CA! Thanks!
I would say anything along I-95 would be a better bet than living out as far as Annapolis.

www.trafficland.com shows the traffic cameras in the region (look for yourself during when you will commute).

Hopkins is in a higher crime area:

http://141.157.54.34/bpdmaps/police.htm (broken link)

Plug in 601 North Caroline street and look at the crime blotter on the map (it plots the types of crimes and where they were reported - larceny, robbery, homicide, etc).

Being DINKS (Dual income no Kid(s)), you may be better off in Ellicott City or Columbia, MD - near the halfway mark. You will be close to Ann Arundel Mills Outlet mall and restaurants in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
>