Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,064,847 times

Advertisements

- I live in Bowie and love it (since 2003).

- I don't have any kids. I do think Bowie schools are the only ones I'd send them to. But I'd definitely do more research and check them out first. If not, it'd be private school or just move. However I've heard Mont.Co schools, while most are better, can have some drug/behavior issues among students. I think one poster said it's the dirty little secret no one wants to get out.

- I moved here from a high end apt highrise in MontCo because my money went much further when buying a home...I haven't regretting choosing Bowie for a second -- accept that IF I could have gotten the same kind of house for the money in MontCo I definitely would have stayed in Silver Spring. I won't say I hated PG, but it's only reality that the county has an image problem. So why deal with it if you don't have to. I looked at condos in Bethesda and homes in Forest Glen and Wheaton before just buying here

I DO NOT worry about resale value of my home. Just like I did, there will always be people ho have to choose PG because you get more house for the money here.

- All I want is quiet, cheerful, pleasant, caring neighbors, who keep up - no IMPROVE - their properties and - who ALSO have to go to bed at night because THEY ALSO work.

IF that ever were to change, I'd have to be the kind of person who joins the "flight from an area" because I will NOT live around gangs, shootings, parties, and blasting stereos.

- As was said, the areas of PG that abut the OTHER counties are perfectly fine. And WE suffer from the bad reputation of OTHER areas of the county. It's close-in areas that have problems that people have brought with them from DC.

- I've been told that Bowie has tried to secede from PG before. And the county won't let us go. The admin knows we'd take our taxes and incomes with us. Oh, how I was Bowie were part of Anne Arundel County. All my shopping is there. The only thing about PG is my address.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM

840 posts, read 2,822,016 times
I lived in Oxon Hill and Fort Washington from 1950 to 2005, 55 years. What strikes me about PGC compared with other suburban counties, is there has been no significatn job growth in all that time. The county has the SAME few major employers today that it did in 1950: (1) University Md, (2) Andrews Air Force, (3) Census Bureau, (4) NASA. There has been no new industry in all that time, as there has been in Fairfax County or Montgomery County. Consequently, most residents with decent-paying jobs must commute outside the County to work.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,647,094 times
Thread is closed. It's old (2007). PG county threads generate more animosity than I'm willing to deal with right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland