U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 49,577 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the Aspen Hill neighborhood (zip code 20906). I'm looking to buy a townhouse/condo in this area. This area looks great because it is easy to use public transportation to get to DC (especially on the weekends), and close to the red line.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:14 AM

26 posts, read 106,708 times
Default Aspen Hill

Aspen Hill is an alright area in silver spring. Its a middle class mostly blue collar town thats really a nice place to live. There never seems to be a lot of crazy things going on in Aspen Hill so over all its thumbs up.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 AM

8 posts, read 35,137 times
I would not live there, if you are looking to live in Silver Spring live closer to Kensington Historic district. Or just live in Kensington, there are plenty of problems in the Aspen Hill area and a great deal of cultural differences (which is great) but sometimes leads to straight havoc in that area.

So my point is...live in Kensington or Silver Spring around Dale ave.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

106 posts, read 420,132 times
You can always check crime statistics on-line. Also take some time and hang out at the townhouses. If you get a chance go on a nice day and talk with other owners. Most people will be willing to talk with you and answer questions.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM

14 posts, read 49,577 times
Your input is very helpful-- thank you!

If others know about this area, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM

16 posts, read 73,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njterp902 View Post
Hi there!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the Aspen Hill neighborhood (zip code 20906). I'm looking to buy a townhouse/condo in this area. This area looks great because it is easy to use public transportation to get to DC (especially on the weekends), and close to the red line.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

the neighborhood around Del Mercado Shopping Center is quiet.
the neighborhood around the Aspen Hill Public Library is quiet.
Leisure World is very quiet - its a gated retirement home
community.

However, if you are thinking about anything north of
Leisure World (e.g. around Wintergate Drive) - you'll need
to consider the fact that the ICC will be routed in that
area ( some homes may be condemned in the future
to create a right-of-way for the Intercounty connector
superhighway).

The prices at Lotte and Superfresh supermarkets along Georgia Ave
are very reasonable.

Bel Pre/Georgia(Peppertree Farm Apt) is a public housing community
so some of the poorest residents live there.

Hewitt Ave/Georgia has more than its share of crime and trouble;
in the past, the police have had to shutdown illegal drug market
there.

Aspen Hill Shopping Center occassionally has problems
(the last big problem was when the two MS13 gang members
killed a Latin Kings member after reportedly they exchanged
gang hand signs). However, gang related crime/problems
are relatively few in Aspen Hill (The local area that has the
most gang related problems is Langley Park, MD - that's
a tough neighborhood )

Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 AM

46 posts, read 155,524 times
I grew up in this area and went to Georgian Forest ES, Argyle MS, then Kennedy HS graduated 2006. I think it's a great place live. I'm not sure what condo community you'd be looking in but if you're thinking of Townhouses the ones across the street from Plaza Del are pretty nice and I had a few friends live live there. Both Tivoli and Middlebridge are also good places (I'd give the nod to middle bridge as they have a pool and are a little more secluded from through traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland