Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,925 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am married with 2 kids. I will be working for the NRC that is located near the White Flint metro station.

We wish to live near where I work. Close enough to walk would be perfect.

We plan on renting for at least a year before we purchase a house to learn the area, and recover some of the relocation costs.

We found a place that seems suitable called Rollins Park apartments. My wife is concerned because they accept Section 8 housing vouchers. These are low-income assistance for housing, in case you are not familiar with the program. She is afraid it is a bad place live. We live in an area that has Section 8 housing currently. This not intended to offend anyone. We have lived below the poverty level for the last 11 years. This job will finally bring us out of it, if I can keep the job. It is just some apartments that accept this program and are just fine to live in, and others are very bad. We just want to give our kids a decent place to live for the first time in their lives. Anyone know this place?

We want a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath or more place. We would also like to keep the rent less than $2000 if possible. However, I understand the cost of living is considerably more in that region than what we are used to here.

To complicate matters we really can not afford a house hunting trip. Any advice, warnings, personal experience in this area are most welcome.

We would appreciate any advice and/or information anyone can provide that may be useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
I live in Rockville near the main Rockville metro station. Rockville is generally a somewhat affluent, low-crime city, at least the part you're looking at (highest crime spots are east of the tracks). The placement of section 8 housing here is a liberal policy intended to provide a serene environment for such people. It doesn't reflect on the overall demographic of Rockville.

As far as cost of living, you might be out of luck. There are varied price levels in the area, but you get what you pay for in terms of quality of life, so you don't want to go too cheap. But at least with a govt. job you'll have a steady income/benefits and a fantastic resume with which to get rich in the future. And at least this area is cheaper (per square foot) than the good parts of DC.

I'm also a transplant, from Arizona, and I don't have a vehicle so I'm very sensitive to things like street safety and quality transit options, and I have to say you'll do pretty well in Rockville on both of those counts. The DC area in general is quite an adjustment, but if I must be here I'm glad it's Rockville.

The one thing I should warn you about is that traffic can be pretty heavy, and the Twinbrook metro (your closest station) is across six-or-seven-lane Rockville Pike, and so it could be a pain to have to cross it all the time. If you're working by White Flint, you might consider one of the high-rise condos there, which are very affluent and safe, but which may cost a bit more. White Flint has a walkway that goes under Rockville Pike, so you would never have to cross it.

Also, where I live, downtown Rockville, there's a walkway over the Pike, and it's a very nice, lively area in general. Also very safe if you're west of the tracks (which is where all the activity is anyway). There is good housing in downtown at every income level.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 13,925 times
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

It seems from looking on the web and reading some comments that it will be best if we find something near the metro line to make getting around easier. It will be quite change for us, but we are actually excited about it.

Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM

198 posts, read 925,933 times
One of my colleagues lived in that apartment complex and liked it alot. She lived their with another female roommate, and she never felt unsafe. You do have to cross a large road to get to the metro station, but there is a light and crosswalk, I really don't think it would be a big deal. There is a supermarket, shopping, and restaurants all within walking distance. I think it would be very livable without a car.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
It's not a bad area by any means. Tons of traffic in that area however. I don't know how old your kids are but you'd probably want to watch them pretty closely. Just keep in mind those apartments you are speaking of are pretty old. This doesn't necessarily mean they are crummy and I've never been inside so I can't say if they are. But I think your family will definitely be safe in that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland