Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2006, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 13,409 times

Advertisements

i am intend to work in southern maryland hospital, which is in clinton . can give me some information about this hospital . how about clinton , is it a safe and nice place to stay , or is there some other nicer town to stay which is near the hospital as well ? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2006, 05:00 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,321,830 times
Clinton is in Prince George's county, and not very far from Washington, DC. It is more of an area of the county and not really an incorporated city/town. The main road through the area is MD RT 5. It passes right by the hospital. I don't know a whole lot about the hospital, only been in there a couple of times to visit people who'd had operations. They said it wasn't bad, but nothing too tremendous either.

Clinton was a kind of blue collar burb for many years. It has become a fairly typical suburban area in the last 20 years or so. Lots of strip centers and housing developments. My brother-in-law and his family live in a development quite near the hospital. Nice place. Clinton (and PG county) is predominantly African American, and the county is supposedly the wealthiest African American majority jurisdiction in the country. Lots of nice places (especially outside the beltway). One negative (I've experienced first hand) is the public school system. If you have kids be very careful where they end up in school. PG has one of the largest systems in the country, and kids can get "lost" in the system. A bit dangerous too.
Good luck, and hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 AM

Default thanks

thanks for your information, actually i will be there alone , so a bit worry about the crime over that side. is it the place safe for a single girl to stay ? and how about the housing, is it expensive to rent a house there ? thanks a lot

Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 AM

Clinton is in the DC metro, so crime is a problem in some areas. I've never heard of any major concerns about the Clinton area, but of course you should check out the neighborhood you are thinking about. Housing is expensive all over the metro. Most decent detached homes are $300,000 +. There are townhouses and condos, but they too can be quite expensive if you're not use to such high housing costs. Apartments (in a good neighborhood) go for over $1,000 a month (plus). I think you might try an extended stay hotel for a bit until you get the feel for the area. An alternative might be Charles County which is the next county south of PG. Of course that takes you further from the plus side of living in the metro, DC itself (restaurants, museums, shows, nightlife, etc).
Good luck and I'll check back to see if I can answer any other questions.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:27 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,987 times
Post Clinton

Clinton is one of the nicest areas in PG County and one that comes highly recommended if you are buying a single family home. Some of the lowest crime in PG County for sure, and homeowners take a lot of pride in their houses. I used to play baseball down there and the communities & parks are very, very nice.

However, you still will run into some problems. There are some apartment complexes in price ranges that are not really in sync with the home prices - make your own assumptions about what this means. I've had many friends live in rough complexes in Laurel/Bowie/College Park/Hyattsville, but north PG County and south PG County differ DRASTICALLY in crime. There were also issues with local neighborhoods & churches opposing a nightclub (Neon) for bringing more crime to the formerly quiet area.

Generally Clinton is safer than areas north of it (Suitland, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills) but not as safe as areas to the south (Ft Washington, Brandywine, Charles County). Housing is certainly expensive as is the entire DC area unfortunately!

My recommendation would be to try and find a rental in Charles or Calvert County if you don't mind a bit of a commute. Waldorf will be your best bet to find a rental for sure, and the local mall is pretty decent, but I would personally shoot for a quieter suburb if you can afford it - try Hughesville (wide open spaces, very safe & close to Rt. 5), Indian Head (near the Potomac, very serene), or Huntingtown (best schools and priciest homes).

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:47 AM

thanks a lot for all your information, i will think about it. by the way, is it very far from clinton to alexsandria city ?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Not a long ways, but the main road route (the beltway) has a major construction job going on right now - the replacement of the Woodrow Wilson bridge (which leads from maryland into VA at Alexandria). Unfortunately, the Metro transit (subway) does not go to Clinton, so that option is out.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:58 PM

165 posts, read 926,696 times
Default PG County Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinn
thanks for your information, actually i will be there alone , so a bit worry about the crime over that side. is it the place safe for a single girl to stay ? and how about the housing, is it expensive to rent a house there ? thanks a lot
I think pkoons note was right on the money. You always have concerns living in PG county when dealing with safety but some areas are not as bad as the usual suspects that show in the news.

It all depends on what you're looking for in regards to size, cost, school systems, safety as to where would be the best fit. If you don't mind driving a little bit you can try neighboring counties or cities outside of Clinton. Upper Marlboro seems to be growing of late and it's not that far of a drive from Clinton. You could also look in La Plata which seems to be more affordable that some of the other cities of late.

Most of my current Southern Maryland knowledge concerns Calvert County... Where I currently live (about 30 miles from the hospital you referenced) would probably not be a good fit for you in your specific situation eventhough it's considered a really safe county.

John
removed

Last edited by Marka; 07-08-2006 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland