Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...I am looking at transferring to Washington DC to work. Married with 3 small kids. I keep hearing about Chesapeake Beach area as a great place to live and commute to DC. Can anyone confirm? Crime? Looking at the 450 K range for a house. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM

45,321 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The commute can be a pain, there are commuter buses contracted by the State. A house in your price range is very doable. Chesapeake Beach and North Beach share a Sheriff's detachment, based temporarily in CB until NB builds a new town hall. Crime is your typical small town variety, some low level theft from cars, a very small number of breaking and enterings, domestic disputes, low level drug dealing. Small grocery store, specialty stores in both towns, Subway, mini-McDonalds, Dominos, Papa John's, local restaurants. Ten miles away is are the two local big chain groceries (Safeway and Giant). The County seat of Prince Frederick (12 miles) has those plus more national chain restaurants plus some locals. Nearest mall is Annapolis about 25 miles.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:15 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
The commute is do-able but it can get old. It helps a lot if you have a bit of flexibility in your hours, say 9:30 to 6:30 is much better than 8:30 to 5:30, etc.

Most of the restaurants here are cheap fast food or cheap sit down. If you want some Thai food or something a bit nicer you'll be in for a bit of a drive. Dunkirk and PF, both about a 10 minute drive, have big groceries and Walmart and other things like that, though for more speciality shopping you'll probably head to Annapolis or DC itself.

Crime is mostly mickey-mouse kind of stuff. I think the county has a few murders a year (i.e. < 6), but usually heat of passion between folks, domestic disputes, etc. Not sure when the last 'random' murder was. Other than that mostly small town stuff. Small break ins, a few druggies, random packs of kids hanging around occasionally vandalizing a car because they are bored, etc. I think you'll have a greater risk of a car accident than a crime.

It's rural by Maryland standards (which is 'rural, but with commuter buses' which is sort of at odds with one another in my book). Probably not the same kind of rural as the Midwest or the Great Plains but you'll see a few tractors and wildlife now and then.

I think 450 is more than do-able. You might want to start comparing schools and looking at the Calvert County school map to see where you want to live. I think Mt. Harmony Elementary is one of the better ones in the state (Dunkirk, Owings area) but Beach Elementary isn't that bad. Depends on the ages of the kids.

My one bit of advice applies to everyone moving--RENT FIRST if at all possible. Even if for only a month or three, you'll learn far more with your feet on the ground than rushing into a house in an area you are not certain about. You'll see something great on paper but when you get there you discover the 'swamp gas' really is strong at night. Or the fire station is next door and they love to hit the sirens at all hours of the night, etc. The only down side is that rentals in the Beach are (were) not always as popular. There might be a few more available now (haven't looked) given the economy.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 14,151 times
Thank you for the replies..very helpful.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:25 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Chesapeake beach is a great place to live and it seems like you have enough money to buy a nice house there... Also the schools are some of the best in MD... The commute will be a little rough but the pros of living there should easily outweigh that one con...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland