Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times

Advertisements

Test score might not tell alot but it do say something. My son is only 2yrs old but I have already done my research on the school he might attend in the near future which is mattaponi. If test scores was not important then why do colleges look at SAT scores. Test scores do give us an idea of the overall performance of the school. The data that Truthhurts showed us reflects that you can live in the most Affulent areas such as Rockeville and have some of the lowest test scores. So now people see that your family can live in Pg county and your children can still get quality education with out sending them to private school. An entire county school is not going to be good or bad its not the county, its more the area. So do not just bash an entire county base upon a small portion of the county.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:54 AM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
Well Iscalder,

I just showed the elementary schools, which in the more affluent areas seem to be on par with other affluent areas, but once you get to the middle schools and high schools the deterioration of the PG County schools is horrible. When you compare them to other schools in the state on Test Scores their's a huge difference. Why aren't the following questions being asked by parents?

1. Why does education dramatically fall off after 5th grade
2. Why are the majority of middle school test scores so poor
3. Why are the children not prepared to enter high school

Part of the problems with the high school stems from the elemenatary education. If you looked at District Heights half the school cannot even read and these are the same kids, that will be passed ahead into Middle unprepared. Once they get into middle school they'll be passed through into high-school unprepared and i'm sure if we tracked those inner beltway kids most of them eventually drop out or fail out. The problem starts at the beginning and early adoption of educational practices that have to be implemented by parents not the school system.

In other words if i ran stats to see which counties have more of their children in Nursery School or Pre-K at ages 3-4. I bet Montgomery County and the rest of the Counties would have a higher rate then Prince George's County. This is significant, because early adoption of best educational practices is extremely important. No one cares whether your 3 year old or 4 year old can read, but having them in a school setting learning as opposed to sitting home watching MTV or BET learning the next Ushur Raymond song is much more beneficial to their education developement. I only site this as I was in an airport recently I ran into a black family with a single mother two children (she may have been traveling without her husband I do not know), but anyway her 4 year old son was singing a rap song word for word and dancing around the airport. I asked him what song he was singing and he replied he watches the videos on BET and MTV. I was appauld, but thought then they wonder why the dam kids cannot read, but can recite some stupid a%% rap song word for word at 4 years old. I seriously had a good mind to lecture the mother, but again that is not my place and would have been rude. However, being a black male and seeing this it was very upsetting. In closing Parental responsibility is hugly important in early adoption of best educational practices.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Truthhurts: I think its a problem for the state of maryland because if you look at Montgomery county test scores for both Middle and high school, they also decrease so its not just PG county alone that have this issue.

When children reach Middle and High school they tend to need more such as cell phones,Ipod,two way,pager. These parents are not reealizing its an distraction but middle school and high low test score is an issue in all county not just one.

I think you were judging the woman and her 4yr old son with out knowing. Would you make such comment if it was an 4yr old white little boy rocking out to ossy or to other punk rock artist. Would you have think that the 4yr old might be on drugs too since Rock stars are known for using drugs. Its the music of the time. I have heard stories from older men and women who are now in their 40's,50's or older who say when they were a teenager and their generation of new music was popular their parents would band them from listening to it because the parents did not understand the music or it was something new to the parents.

My son is about to turn two this month and his favorite song is Soldier boy by Soldier boy the 16 rap artist. I hated that song and I do not know what he was talking and I think I am hip I am only 23yrs old but my 2yr old song heard it for the first time and is hook on this song. He can sing the song but yet my husband and I hate the song.He love dancing and singing the song. He have his own computer so everyday he would ask to listen to this song that I hate on his computer. So i am guessing when we are in public I should band my son from ever singing the song. I should tell him when you are in public and you sing that rap song people will think you are stupid and can not read or write.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Truthhurts: I think its a problem for the state of maryland because if you look at Montgomery county test scores for both Middle and high school, they also decrease so its not just PG county alone that have this issue.

When children reach Middle and High school they tend to need more such as cell phones,Ipod,two way,pager. These parents are not reealizing its an distraction but middle school and high low test score is an issue in all county not just one.

I think you were judging the woman and her 4yr old son with out knowing. Would you make such comment if it was an 4yr old white little boy rocking out to ossy or to other punk rock artist. Would you have think that the 4yr old might be on drugs too since Rock stars are known for using drugs. Its the music of the time. I have heard stories from older men and women who are now in their 40's,50's or older who say when they were a teenager and their generation of new music was popular their parents would band them from listening to it because the parents did not understand the music or it was something new to the parents.

My son is about to turn two this month and his favorite song is Soldier boy by Soldier boy the 16 rap artist. I hated that song and I do not know what he was talking and I think I am hip I am only 23yrs old but my 2yr old song heard it for the first time and is hook on this song. He can sing the song but yet my husband and I hate the song.He love dancing and singing the song. He have his own computer so everyday he would ask to listen to this song that I hate on his computer. So i am guessing when we are in public I should band my son from ever singing the song. I should tell him when you are in public and you sing that rap song people will think you are stupid and can not read or write.
To quickly answer your question flat out unequivically YES! Here's the reason militants make me freaking sick! White kids are not failing out of school at disproportionate rates like little black boys, white kids are not the one's that are in 6th grade, but read at a 1st grade level like a disproportionate number of littel black boys. White kids are not disproportionately unprepared for college, highschool, or middle school like little black boys. What world or country are you living on?

I'm sure you believe that just because the father of your son hasn't gone to jail he should receive a cookie or gold star?

Just plain makes me sick and this is exactly the reason i'd never ever live in Prince George's County. You militants make me freaking sick! You're too stupid to realize, that racism and other things done by whites are not what's holding your children back from performing to the levels they should in school. This clearly does not go for all blacks, because my parents certainly did not raise me under the premise of such foolishness. How silly can you be..Just because they do it doesn't mean you can afford to!

Iscalder, what kind of household did you grow up in? Did you grow up in the inner city? In the black community i'm from this is considerd unexceptable behavior by parents. In fact i wasn't even allowed to listen to rap or rock as a child. The only rap i could listen to was Will Smith. The only rock i could listen to was Bon Jovi. Hell, my parents only played Disney music in my presence until i was probably 8 or 9 and then it was strictly clean pop music from the 80's, which was the greatest decade for pop music i might add .

I grew up in a predomintely white neighborhood as a child and my father always stressed and said, "When your friends do something stupid, they will most likely get away with it, however those same rules do not apply to you, because you stand out from the bunch, but that is not the reason you do not do it. You do not do it because it's either stupid or wrong to begin with!"

Yes, if a little white boy age 4 was singing Ludacris i'd think the same dam thing I thought about the little 4 year old black boy signing the same thing! Why the hell is his mother 1. Letting him listen to such garbage at such a young age 2.Why the heck isn't he singing the ABC's song or something from Teletubbies something more age appropriate 3. Why is he watching enough dam mindless tv he's now memorized the words! (mind you he wasn't just singing he was acting out the entire video)

I cannot stand you militants with your low expectations on other blacks! Instead of correcting this behavior you think its okay and you justifiy by saying stupid things like "What if he were white, i bet you wouldn't have said it!" Grow up and use your brain!

To answer you last question i'd never hold a child responsible for poor parenting. As the saying goes "You can choose yoru friends, but you cannot choose your family." What i would think is I'm sorry that little boy's parents are not raising him properly and allowing him at a young age to be exposed to such garbage. Then you wonder why they cannot speak properly or write properly well i guess i found my answer. Parents like you have their children listening to a song about a guy subtle describing ejaculating on a girl. Is that anything a freaking two year old should be singing?

BTW I was informed by a college roommate of mine recently when the song played on the radio as to the meaning. I was just about as clueless as you and i'm about the same age.

PS don't take it as a personal attack unless you fail into that category of militant people.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-18-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,666 times
Truth, There is so much I'd like to say to you but, I doubt it would make an impression. I will say that I hate it when people on this board use the word "Militant Blacks". What exactly do you mean by that term? It also disgusts me when people feel they have the right to call people stupid. It's rude and uncalled for. I've often found that the people who know the least are the people who know it all. Finally, leave the comedy to people like Chris Rock. Your little line from above was far from funny.

"I'm sure you believe that just because the father of your son hasn't gone to jail he should receive a cookie?"

Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM

124 posts, read 700,339 times
Thumbs up Totally Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
To quickly answer your question flat out unequivically YES! Here's the reason militants make me freaking sick! White kids are not failing out of school at disproportionate rates like little black boys, white kids are not the one's that are in 6th grade, but read at a 1st grade level like a disproportionate number of littel black boys. White kids are not disproportionately unprepared for college, highschool, or middle school like little black boys. What world or country are you living on?

I'm sure you believe that just because the father of your son hasn't gone to jail he should receive a cookie or gold star?

Just plain makes me sick and this is exactly the reason i'd never ever live in Prince George's County. You militants make me freaking sick! You're too stupid to realize, that racism and other things done by whites are not what's holding your children back from performing to the levels they should in school. This clearly does not go for all blacks, because my parents certainly did not raise me under the premise of such foolishness. How silly can you be..Just because they do it doesn't mean you can afford to!

Iscalder, what kind of household did you grow up in? Did you grow up in the inner city? In the black community i'm from this is considerd unexceptable behavior by parents. In fact i wasn't even allowed to listen to rap or rock as a child. The only rap i could listen to was Will Smith. The only rock i could listen to was Bon Jovi. Hell, my parents only played Disney music in my presence until i was probably 8 or 9 and then it was strictly clean pop music from the 80's, which was the greatest decade for pop music i might add .

I grew up in a predomintely white neighborhood as a child and my father always stressed and said, "When your friends do something stupid, they will most likely get away with it, however those same rules do not apply to you, because you stand out from the bunch, but that is not the reason you do not do it. You do not do it because it's either stupid or wrong to begin with!"

Yes, if a little white boy age 4 was singing Ludacris i'd think the same dam thing I thought about the little 4 year old black boy signing the same thing! Why the hell is his mother 1. Letting him listen to such garbage at such a young age 2.Why the heck isn't he singing the ABC's song or something from Teletubbies something more age appropriate 3. Why is he watching enough dam mindless tv he's now memorized the words! (mind you he wasn't just singing he was acting out the entire video)

I cannot stand you militants with your low expectations on other blacks! Instead of correcting this behavior you think its okay and you justifiy by saying stupid things like "What if he were white, i bet you wouldn't have said it!" Grow up and use your brain!

To answer you last question i'd never hold a child responsible for poor parenting. As the saying goes "You can choose yoru friends, but you cannot choose your family." What i would think is I'm sorry that little boy's parents are not raising him properly and allowing him at a young age to be exposed to such garbage. Then you wonder why they cannot speak properly or write properly well i guess i found my answer. Parents like you have their children listening to a song about a guy subtle describing ejaculating on a girl. Is that anything a freaking two year old should be singing?

BTW I was informed by a college roommate of mine recently when the song played on the radio as to the meaning. I was just about as clueless as you and i'm about the same age.

PS don't take it as a personal attack unless you fail into that category of militant people.
I have followed this thread for quite some time now and I admire all of your posts. Your posts reminds me of the writings of Shelby Steele and Thomas Sowell. I can not post things so eloquently as you have, but I am in full agreement with you. You do not take on the victim or militant mentality. Your posts are like music to my ears. As a minority myself, I appreciate your effort to point out that we are not a monolithic group. I am so estatic that you do not follow the status quo and are not afraid to speak the truth. Unfornatunately, minorities who do not accept the victim mentality are called "Uncle Toms" or "Sellouts" because we do not follow the status quo.

Have you ever consider writing a book or memoir?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Down grading someone's race does not help. Why not up lift the lost youth instead of name calling. Name calling is for children, THis reminds me of what Oprah did.She open a school in a country where most have already wrote off and most would point fingers but she see they are lost and need help. Now she could just called them black millitant children and leave it at that but would that help.
truth hurts; Would you feel better if a white child bullied your child instead of a black child. For me instead of your race and if you do bully then I might consider you a millitant child but I would not just start calling black children millitant. WHen my son start school maybe a white child instead of a black child might bully him then do i say per truth data only black children are bullies and white child are not. Hell no. This is the problem with America no matter how blacks try no matter how educated we get, no matter how much money or wealth we might have. We will always hear those words.
The same for Barack Obama it hurts me when I see this man who is well educated,who have a wonderful familiy, who just want the same American dream as another white man but yet to many American he is just that Black man who no matter what he do or say even if he is the better candidate have a less chance of winning why? Because he is a black man first. The media forgets or people forget that he is educated,wealthy,have a wonderful family,raising wonderful children,have never commit a crime but yet he is not good enough.

Truthhurts: You love to point fingers and call other names such as Black millitant but the truth is no matter how educated you are, no matter where you live or how big or small your house is. No matter how you dress if its always business suits or whatever it is. You will still be seen as another ***** and thats it. I remember reading a post on the forum where a poster mention How much he/she hate seeing these black families on TV. The poster mention the Rev Run familiy and other black families who have thier own show He said all blacks are all the same regardless of how much money they have. Here is a family who are raising wonderful children but yet its not good enough so I see why alot of these inner city children careless. They feel as if no matter what they do in life or how they try to separate themselves from the other misbehave children they will all be judge the exact same. WHy is it that white children can be themselves but Black children have to change so we can be accept by whites. Do white chage for us hell no. Are whites better then us by what you write Truthhurts it seems you believe so.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default Please keep Barack and Tiger out of your threads

Quote:
Down grading someone's race does not help. Why not up lift the lost youth instead of name calling. Name calling is for children, THis reminds me of what Oprah did.She open a school in a country where most have already wrote off and most would point fingers but she see they are lost and need help. Now she could just called them black millitant children and leave it at that but would that help.
truth hurts; Would you feel better if a white child bullied your child instead of a black child. For me instead of your race and if you do bully then I might consider you a millitant child but I would not just start calling black children millitant. WHen my son start school maybe a white child instead of a black child might bully him then do i say per truth data only black children are bullies and white child are not. Hell no. This is the problem with America no matter how blacks try no matter how educated we get, no matter how much money or wealth we might have. We will always hear those words.
The same for Barack Obama it hurts me when I see this man who is well educated,who have a wonderful familiy, who just want the same American dream as another white man but yet to many American he is just that Black man who no matter what he do or say even if he is the better candidate have a less chance of winning why? Because he is a black man first. The media forgets or people forget that he is educated,wealthy,have a wonderful family,raising wonderful children,have never commit a crime but yet he is not good enough.

Truthhurts: You love to point fingers and call other names such as Black millitant but the truth is no matter how educated you are, no matter where you live or how big or small your house is. No matter how you dress if its always business suits or whatever it is. You will still be seen as another ***** and thats it. I remember reading a post on the forum where a poster mention How much he/she hate seeing these black families on TV. The poster mention the Rev Run familiy and other black families who have thier own show He said all blacks are all the same regardless of how much money they have. Here is a family who are raising wonderful children but yet its not good enough so I see why alot of these inner city children careless. They feel as if no matter what they do in life or how they try to separate themselves from the other misbehave children they will all be judge the exact same. WHy is it that white children can be themselves but Black children have to change so we can be accept by whites. Do white chage for us hell no. Are whites better then us by what you write Truthhurts it seems you believe so.
Please, keep Obama out of your threads. He won Iowa and almost won New Hampshire and those are very white states. All you have done is reinforce what Truth has said. Next thing I know you will jump on Tiger for something. They have each managed to transcend race and become part of the core of life for all Americans. Please tell me you worship Conzi Rice and Colin Powell for what they have done and recognize the opportunity the current administration has given them. Iscalder Black folk had the bomb when Colin was chair of the joint chiefs.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Please, keep Obama out of your threads. He won Iowa and almost won New Hampshire and those are very white states. All you have done is reinforce what Truth has said. Next thing I know you will jump on Tiger for something. They have each managed to transcend race and become part of the core of life for all Americans. Please tell me you worship Conzi Rice and Colin Powell for what they have done and recognize the opportunity the current administration has given them. Iscalder Black folk had the bomb when Colin was chair of the joint chiefs.
Did you read my post where in it does it stae wher eI am down grading Obama. I was showing truthhurts an example of how an educated black man is still judge as if he has no education at all. I did not state any negative statements against Obama or Oprah. I stated no matter what an Black person do how much nuch they try to separeate themselves from the criminal minded blacks, In some people mind blacks are stil the same. I love Obama, as a matte rof fact thats who I am voting for so why would I say anything negative about him. I love Oprah as a matter of fact I Tivo the OPrah show so I can never miss an episode. I am not please with Rich performance, I think she is the cover up person. I love Colin.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Did you read my post where in it does it stae wher eI am down grading Obama. I was showing truthhurts an example of how an educated black man is still judge as if he has no education at all. I did not state any negative statements against Obama or Oprah. I stated no matter what an Black person do how much nuch they try to separeate themselves from the criminal minded blacks, In some people mind blacks are stil the same. I love Obama, as a matte rof fact thats who I am voting for so why would I say anything negative about him. I love Oprah as a matter of fact I Tivo the OPrah show so I can never miss an episode. I am not please with Rich performance, I think she is the cover up person. I love Colin.
I know what you said about Obama and I am countering your point about White America disrespecting him. Get real he is close to getting the nomination of a major party to be president. How is he being rejected based on Iowa and New Hampshire? Let's see what percent of the Black vote he gets. If Hillary gets more is that racism and disrespect? Please follow the attached link and do some reading on the other side of the coin.

Thomas Sowell | Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland