Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times

Advertisements

According to an article in the Washington Post crime has fell very significantly across the board in Prince George's County for the 1st half of the year, as well as Montgomery County for the 1st quarter.

In a nutshell:
Prince George's County- total crime declined by more than 14 percent from January through June compared with the same period last year.

-burglaries increased during the period, but only by 3.3 percent
-Homicides fell by 16.7 percent, rapes by 14.1 percent and vehicle thefts by 29.5 percent
-raw numbers, that equates to 10 fewer killings, 12 fewer rapes and 1,307 fewer stolen vehicles in Prince George's

Montgomery County- total crime dropped 6.7 percent for the first four months of the year compared with the first four months of 2008.

-"Crimes against persons," a category that includes homicides, rapes and aggravated assaults, were down 10 percent
-only six homicides this year. The county has averaged 20 homicides a year since 1985.
-"part one" crimes, including homicide, robbery and theft, decreased 9 percent, according to police
-Robberies fell from 327 to 293, or 10.4 percent; burglaries declined from 1,116 to 937, or 16 percent; auto thefts dropped from 800 to 482, or 39.8 percent; and larcenies declined from 5,702 to 5,525, or 3.1 percent
-Less serious crime, such as vandalism and minor assaults, dropped by 5.4 percent.

PG County Executive Jackson attributed the decrease to the massive increase in the police budget (~150%) from $104m in 2002 to $253m now. Ostensibly the decrease in crime could also be attributed to the decreased level of MS-13 activity, particularly in Montgomery, but that's speculation. Maybe now the unfair stereotype of Prince George's County as rife with crime will disappear. However, PG County still has (by far) the highest rate of crime in the DC suburbs, and in MD as a whole outside of Baltimore City.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Thanks for posting. I enjoy seeing the positive news.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,799 times
I love that qualifier "However. . ." in the last sentence.

Not saying it's not true, because facts are facts.

God forbid, though, that PG get one ray of sunshine without a looming cloud on the horizon for at least one day of it's life!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM

96 posts, read 119,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
I love that qualifier "However. . ." in the last sentence.

Not saying it's not true, because facts are facts.

God forbid, though, that PG get one ray of sunshine without a looming cloud on the horizon for at least one day of it's life!

It also doesn't hurt that people are leaving in droves to go elsewhere

Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
PG County Executive Jackson attributed the decrease to the massive increase in the police budget (~150%) from $104m in 2002 to $253m now. Ostensibly the decrease in crime could also be attributed to the decreased level of MS-13 activity, particularly in Montgomery, but that's speculation. Maybe now the unfair stereotype of Prince George's County as rife with crime will disappear. However, PG County still has (by far) the highest rate of crime in the DC suburbs, and in MD as a whole outside of Baltimore City.
Sure. My point is that can't we just leave the last sentence OUT OF IT -- like Bowian said, it's nice to get good news.

"However" is a conjunction - it just negates whatever comes in front of it. Look above to see what is in front of it.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Sure. My point is that can't we just leave the last sentence OUT OF IT -- like Bowian said, it's nice to get good news.

"However" is a conjunction - it just negates whatever comes in front of it. Look above to see what is in front of it.
I understand what you're saying, but that fact can't simply be ignored. I'm always defending PG (the wealthiest minority-majority county in the country) from people who think it's some sort of ghetto. There are many areas of PG that have low crime rates, and are excellent areas to live. I spent half my life growing up in Mitchelville, and don't remember hearing of any crime problems.

Crime in Prince George's is concentrated in probably less than 10% of the county, mostly inside the Beltway along the SE DC border. I see this somewhat surprising development (for any Balt-Wash county) 101% as a good thing. I just added that last sentence to point out that the "mission" is not yet accomplished. The county shouldn't rest on its laurels, but instead continue to combat crime in the county. Same goes for Montgomery...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I understand what you're saying, but that fact can't simply be ignored. I'm always defending PG (the wealthiest minority-majority county in the country) from people who think it's some sort of ghetto. There are many areas of PG that have low crime rates, and are excellent areas to live. I spent half my life growing up in Mitchelville, and don't remember hearing of any crime problems.

Crime in Prince George's is concentrated in probably less than 10% of the county, mostly inside the Beltway along the SE DC border. I see this somewhat surprising development (for any Balt-Wash county) 101% as a good thing. I just added that last sentence to point out that the "mission" is not yet accomplished. The county shouldn't rest on its laurels, but instead continue to combat crime in the county. Same goes for Montgomery...
Agreed.
And I think MoCo is quickly becoming a repository for crime. It certainly is completely different from when I grew up there and not that change is bad. It's nice to see much more diversity. But the gang activity that was so completely ignored for so long - sort of "if we don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist - it will go away" - that is becoming a serious long-term problem for MoCo and it's just getting worse. Maybe PG will eventually become a role model for MoCo!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I don't where you folks get off criticizing Montgomery County. Everyone knows that there's absolutely no crime, no problems, no over-development or any other issue there. And all the children are above average. Just ask, they'll tell you.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:32 PM

96 posts, read 119,950 times
Quote:

So ,we don't tell the whole truth ..just the part we like ?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't where you folks get off criticizing Montgomery County. Everyone knows that there's absolutely no crime, no problems, no over-development or any other issue there. And all the children are above average. Just ask, they'll tell you.

darn tootin'! ha ha! as as a MoCo born and raised, and I teach there now, I can tell you that you are CORRECT, sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland