Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 AM

26 posts, read 126,103 times

Advertisements

There is a housing development in Clarksburg, just off 270 - east of Frederick Rd. It's looks to be about 3 or 4 years old, with attractive, large houses that have front porches, etc. But they are so close to each other, the area looks weird.

Does anyone know the story on this place? My husband is at an job interview literally one block from this development and we might look for a house to buy there. But it seems a little empty of people. and a little concerned about it's proximity to the Montgomery County Jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
I remember back in 2000, I stopped by the builder's trailer to ask about the area - I think its near the town center area. I pointed to a row of existing houses up the hill and said "wow, those townhouses are big". The sales agent replies "uh.... those are single family homes"....

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
New building theory (well for the last 20 years), create an "old fashioned" small town feel by building McMansions on small lots. This may be the development that caused a stir in Montgomery County Planning and Zoning a couple years ago when it was discovered the houses were too close to the street and built above the height limit. Charges and counter charges flew, turns out that the plans hd been approved with the errors.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM

26 posts, read 126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
New building theory (well for the last 20 years), create an "old fashioned" small town feel by building McMansions on small lots..

The question is: Does it work? This seems like what they did in the Kentlands (gaithersburg). That area is very upscale now, from what I understand. Of course, that was before the economy tanked.

I like the idea of a walkable, planned community, but it always has a "stepford wive's" feeling about it - contrived and forced.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM

18 posts, read 52,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garine View Post
The question is: Does it work? This seems like what they did in the Kentlands (gaithersburg). That area is very upscale now, from what I understand. Of course, that was before the economy tanked.

I like the idea of a walkable, planned community, but it always has a "stepford wive's" feeling about it - contrived and forced.
Hmmm... I'm not sure if it works, it might be too early to tell. It seems like there isn't a whole lot of information available about this area yet. The Clarksburg Village and Aurora Hills developments do kinda have a "stepford wives" feeling about it except that it appears to be a very culturally & ethnically diverse community. My DH & and thinking about buying there. A year ago the builders did not want to negotiate at all but we've been receiving lot's of "special offers" so we'll see.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,021 times
I remember that development. What a terrible idea.

Although, isn't Clarksburg in Frederick County?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I remember that development. What a terrible idea.

Although, isn't Clarksburg in Frederick County?

There's a Clarksburg in Montgomery County and a Clarksville in Howard County.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a Clarksburg in Montgomery County and a Clarksville in Howard County.
I know. I'm thinking ClarksBURG is in Frederick County.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Nope, Clarksburg's in Montgomery, at least the one being referenced here. I bolded them because I get them confused.

Clarksburg, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Did Montgomery annexed it or what? I could have sworn Clarksburg used to be in Frederick county. I lived in it with a friend in Clarksburg for a while back in the early '90s, and it was in Frederick county...it was considered to be in the Urbana area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland