Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,074 times

Advertisements

Frankly I find this thread to be rather pointless as I find MoCo to have far more in common with Fairfax and Howard. Futhermore, comparing MoCo to Fairfax to Howard seems to been debated to the point of exhaustion and almost always leads to people nitpicking every detail to compare.

Yes, Montgomery has lost a few business to Fairfax, but given that VA on the whole has a friendlier business climate- it's really not that surprising.
However; to say that Montgomery is unfriendly to businesses is just false. If this was the case, why would companies like Discovery Communications, Lockheed Martin, Choice and Marriott Hotel Groups, GEICO & MedImmune continue to remain in the county?
Fairfax despite being pro-business still has a larger budget deficit of $650 Million versus Montgomery's of $400 Million. (Although both figures are pretty startling).

The unemployment rate in Fairfax County and Montgomery are pretty similar at 5.2% and 5.7%, respectively. If Montgomery was reeling from business fallout wouldn't this figure be higher?

Additionally, if MoCo is not desirable, how do you explain the median home sales in Fairfax decreasing by 19% whereas Montgomery has decreased by 11% for 2008?

Crime is lower in Fairfax and yes, MoCo could do more to reduce it's crime rate. By the same token, MoCo has far more high-density and integrated urban areas such as Wheaton and Silver Spring, which can lead to higher crime rates. Fairfax and VA also have a physical boundary that separates themselves from DC and Prince Georges County which do have higher crime rates and can lead to spillover crime.

Is MoCo perfect? Hardly, but really no place is ever paradise.

Last edited by TrippingJay; 08-12-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
Frankly I find this thread to be rather pointless as I find MoCo to have far more in common with Fairfax and Howard. Futhermore, comparing MoCo to Fairfax to Howard seems to been debated to the point of exhaustion and almost always leads to people nitpicking every detail to compare.

Yes, Montgomery has lost a few business to Fairfax, but given that VA on the whole has a friendlier business climate- it's really not that surprising.
However; to say that Montgomery is unfriendly to businesses is just false. If this was the case, why would companies like Discovery Communications, Lockheed Martin, Choice and Marriott Hotel Groups, GEICO & MedImmune continue to remain in the county?
Fairfax despite being pro-business still has a larger budget deficit of $650 Million versus Montgomery's of $400 Million. (Although both figures are pretty startling).

The unemployment rate in Fairfax County and Montgomery are pretty similar at 5.2% and 5.7%, respectively. If Montgomery was reeling from business fallout wouldn't this figure be higher?

Additionally, if MoCo is not desirable, how do you explain the median home sales in Fairfax decreasing by 19% whereas Montgomery has decreased by 11% for 2008?

Crime is lower in Fairfax and yes, MoCo could do more to reduce it's crime rate. By the same token, MoCo has far more high-density and integrated urban areas such as Wheaton and Silver Spring, which can lead to higher crime rates. Fairfax and VA also have a physical boundary that separates themselves from DC and Prince Georges County which do have higher crime rates and can lead to spillover crime.

Is MoCo perfect? Hardly, but really no place is ever paradise.
Thank you! Best post so far...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
No, moved to Northern Virginia because the housing was more affordable (was living in DC at the time and was going to move either to MoCo or NoVa). There were plenty of places we liked in MoCo, but just couldn't afford at the time. Once we got over the "bridge-phobia" issue, it was a fairly easy decision. Now we could afford MoCo, but the lower taxes and good schools will keep us in NoVa.
It must not be Fairfax County because if it is then your above statement screams Hypocritsy.....

Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'll repeat: I-270 has 5 lanes in each direction headed into and out of DC. What about that fact is difficult for you to grasp?
And I repeat: You are not from MoCo because every MoCo Tax Payer knows that I-270 is not a 10 Lane Highway that goes in and out of DC and I-270 Ranges from 6 Lanes to 12 Lanes to 8 Lanes to 6 Lanes to 4 Lanes to 6 Lanes again.

Last edited by $mk8795; 08-13-2009 at 02:59 AM..

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Funny, I was just in MoCo and I seem to recall a whole lot of construction vehicles currently working on the intercounty connector, one of the regions largest highway projects currently ongoing. So, no, I don't buy your argument.

And furthermore, your blind distaste for what you perceive to be "enviromentalist special groups" does not negate the fact that a whole lot of people support the Purple Line project--the only crime is that it wasn't constructed sooner.
The wholoe lot of people you speak of are part of the anti-Growth Special Interest Communist Groups and the tax paying Marylanders that speak on the Purple were to believe that it will built similar to the other MERO Rail Subways like the future Silver Line in Virginia....

Quote:
Now, when northern Virginia's road and highway system gets within sniffing distance of Montgomery County's, come back and talk to me. Until then, you really have no basis from which to continue arguing your point.
I definately can't argue your above statement because you are not making total sense....

I must be having a Senior Moment because I don't know what you mean by: when northern Virginia's road and highway system gets within sniffing distance of Montgomery County's:c onfused:

Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
I don't think moco is even close
Since MoCo doesn't come close then that means "Smart Growth" is a Bull Sh** is Scam with a hidden agenda to try to prevent MoCo(and other parts of Maryland) from being Competative against NoVa's Business/Economic/Revenue Wealth.....

Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrama View Post
Montgomery is going down hill due tot the following reason.

1. you did not elect me into office.
Its going down hill because of Oportunist Money Hungry Tax Guzzling Democrat Politicians and Maryland Hating anti-Growth Special Interest Group who more than likely own homes in Virginia.....

Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
$mk8795 loves rant about things he obviously doesn't know much about. I just heard today that VA is $100 billion behind in unfunded transportation projects. Gubernatorial candidate McDonnell even wants to divert money from education to pay for roads, and Deeds wants to raise taxes.
Since you "Heard" then you must know of some News Links to post here to back up your story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Maybe $mk8795 can also explain why I-66 (only 2 lanes either direction) and I-95 are always backed as late as 8:30pm, while I-270 (6 lanes either direction, Gaithersburg to the Beltway) is flowing freely.
I-66 will be widen to 6 Lanes inside the Beltway, I-395/95 will be getting HOT Lanes plus regular Lane Widening between Springfield and Quantaco, and I-495 is already in process of adding HOT Lanes......

Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Are they actually legal immigrants or just garden variety illegal aliens?

If the latter, good.
It don't matter to them people. All the Old Timers see is Latinos and will do almost anything to get the Latinos out of their area.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Since you "Heard" then you must know of some News Links to post here to back up your story.
No problem. Unliuke some who like to post their heavily biased, misinformed opinions without a single source, I have no problem with that.

I heard it on WTOP, when they were talking about the governor's race. Here's another (even better) source verifying what I said (the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance): http://www.nvta.org/content.asp?contentid=1492.

"Virginia Needs Shortfall: A 2004 VTrans 2025 study mandated by the Virginia General Assembly estimated the Commonwealth’s 20-year transportation funding shortfall at $74.2 billion in unmet road needs, and $30.7 billion in unmet transit needs. The previous official estimate (1997) placed the shortfall at $40 billion."

Also, this WaPo article should give you some insight on how VA is struggling to fund its transportation needs: washingtonpost.com

Quote:
I-66 will be widen to 6 Lanes inside the Beltway, I-395/95 will be getting HOT Lanes plus regular Lane Widening between Springfield and Quantaco, and I-495 is already in process of adding HOT Lanes......
I don't know who told you they'd be widening I-66, because the last I heard was that Arlington County was firmly against that idea. The so-called "Lexus Lanes" will hardly have any effect on traffic.

Quote:
And I repeat: You are not from MoCo because every MoCo Tax Payer knows that I-270 is not a 10 Lane Highway that goes in and out of DC and I-270 Ranges from 6 Lanes to 12 Lanes to 8 Lanes to 6 Lanes to 4 Lanes to 6 Lanes again.
Maybe 10% (at most) of MoCo residents know (and care) how many lanes I-270 has along its entire length.

Quote:
The wholoe lot of people you speak of are part of the anti-Growth Special Interest Communist Groups and the tax paying Marylanders that speak on the Purple were to believe that it will built similar to the other MERO Rail Subways like the future Silver Line in Virginia....

I definately can't argue your above statement because you are not making total sense....

I must be having a Senior Moment because I don't know what you mean by: when northern Virginia's road and highway system gets within sniffing distance of Montgomery County's:c onfused:
Quote:
Since MoCo doesn't come close then that means "Smart Growth" is a Bull Sh** is Scam with a hidden agenda to try to prevent MoCo(and other parts of Maryland) from being Competative against NoVa's Business/Economic/Revenue Wealth.....
Quote:
Its going down hill because of Oportunist Money Hungry Tax Guzzling Democrat Politicians and Maryland Hating anti-Growth Special Interest Group who more than likely own homes in Virginia.....
Please get back on your meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland