Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times

Advertisements

Geez, don't get your panties in such a bunch. I was being FACETIOUS. My sister lives in West Laurel and the only thing she has better than me is that her kids got to go to Bond Mill Elementary. You seem a little defensive about using the "West" but I have teenage kids that have friends throughout Laurel and most that live in "West" Laurel will make a point of saying it. Maybe because you are a long time resident in that area, you don't differentiate, but apparently the up and coming generations do. The houses are actually not that much nicer than anywhere else but there does seem to be more of a sense of pride in ownership and neighborhood appearance. Take it as a compliment and not be so quick to bite someone's head off for mentioning your little neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelengineer View Post
As a West Laurel resident, I would like to point out that it has been around since the 1940's. It is not some new creation like North bethesda or north potomac
I often run into people who tell me they're from Laurel, who only upon further inquiry, tell me they're from West Laurel. I can't speak for all my neighbors, but I certainly don't consider any part of Laurel to be poor or to be beneath me in any way. I have just as much affection for Laurel City as I do West Laurel. Which is why my handle is not WestLaurelEngineer.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM

57 posts, read 297,409 times
Default read it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Geez, don't get your panties in such a bunch. I was being FACETIOUS. My sister lives in West Laurel and the only thing she has better than me is that her kids got to go to Bond Mill Elementary. You seem a little defensive about using the "West" but I have teenage kids that have friends throughout Laurel and most that live in "West" Laurel will make a point of saying it. Maybe because you are a long time resident in that area, you don't differentiate, but apparently the up and coming generations do. The houses are actually not that much nicer than anywhere else but there does seem to be more of a sense of pride in ownership and neighborhood appearance. Take it as a compliment and not be so quick to bite someone's head off for mentioning your little neck of the woods.
Read my comment again when you're not drunk and try and figure out exactly where you see any uppitiness or "bite-your-head-off-ness" in my post. It seems you are way too defensive, not I. I told you I care just as much about Laurel City as I do about my own community - what more do you want? Also, I am quite young for a WL resident, and live in a house that is probably smaller than yours. But, you are correct about the "sense of pride in ownership and neighborhood appearance." It is the only thing I knew about the community when I bought here. Have a nice day, and I'll see you at Ferrari's.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 AM

Engineer, you still don't get it. Where did I say anything about you being uppity? And apparently you don't understand the word facetious. I also didn't attack you in a demeaning way like you did me. I was at work when I posted; really don't think I was drinking in my office. Maybe you thought I was slurring my typing a little. Interesting that your'e QUITE young for a West Laurel resident. I didn't realize there was an age requirement to move there. Seems to me, since my sister lives there, and I'm over there all the time, that I've seen every age represented. By the way, never been to Ferrari's, glad you know where to the "in" crowd goes.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 AM

Oh, by the way Engineer, you can attack me one more time with a response, but after that I would like to call a truce. We both live in Laurel, we both like where we're at, and we both care enough to be on a forum to express our opinions. I like reading your posts and think you have intelligent and meaningful thoughts on the subjects you post on. Who knows, we might actually know each other in the real world, away from our keyboards. What 'dya say? Truce?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM

57 posts, read 297,409 times
Default Kjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Oh, by the way Engineer, you can attack me one more time with a response, but after that I would like to call a truce. We both live in Laurel, we both like where we're at, and we both care enough to be on a forum to express our opinions. I like reading your posts and think you have intelligent and meaningful thoughts on the subjects you post on. Who knows, we might actually know each other in the real world, away from our keyboards. What 'dya say? Truce?
Of course, a Truce. You are far more likely to be a friend of mine than an enemy. By the way, I don't know if Laurel has an "in" crowd. But Ferrari's has always struck me as a place where, everyone seems to know everyone else, and it takes years to become a "regular." Go there anyway, the pizza is superb!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM

71 posts, read 337,377 times
Default Pg

Call me whatever you want after reading this, I really could care less.

Ghetto black people have flushed the entire county down the toilet. Let me emphasize the GHETTO part of that phrase. Unfortunately, the pieces of garbage I am talking about probably won't be searching city-data.com... I am talking about the ones that ride around in converted police cars or even a "Mar-say-deez" with thousand dollar a piece rims and huge speakers but is still living with his grandma and fathered 3 kids who can't read.

Too many people there subscribe to the hip-hop lifestyle, where the value of your character is determined by how shiny your rims are, how clean your sneakers are, and how bad you pitbull is. Does character have anything to do with responsibility and respect? Of course not! Blame everyone else for your woes so yu won't have to deal with them.

Whatever happened to REAL role models for kids? MLK, Stokley Carmicheal, even the Cosbys? They were replaced with Latrell Spreewell, Micheal Vick, Yung Joc, Jeezy, Weezy, Peezy and whatever other clowns there are. Look at all of em... Getting into legal battles over ignorant crap, then rapping about what bad asses they are and act like victims. All it's done is reinforce what their parents have neglected to do.... teach those damn kids responsibility.

I remember seeing Realco Gun Shop in Ft. Washington on the news because a high percentage of guns bought from that shop were used in violent crimes. Who is to blame for that? The ghetto thug who went out and shoot the ice cream man? Those clowns who go Robbing 7-11's and gas stations? NO! They are poor victims of the system that doesn't care about them. Matter of fact, it's the white man selling guns in my community that is to blame! Lets target him!!!!

That clown they call a mayor is rallying up the community to shut it down while being supported by legions of absentee mothers and fathers of illegitimate kids. Nevermind the fact that if they took the time to raise their kids instead of chasing ass, they would have a better community.

None of them have taken the time to THINK. Ever hear the phrase don't sh*t where you eat? Apparently none of them have. They sh*t all over their homes and wonder why it stinks. I'd like to hand every thug in Clinton, Brandywine, College Park, AMERICA a mirror that has STUPID printed on the bottom.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM

276 posts, read 792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
Call me whatever you want after reading this, I really could care less.

Ghetto black people have flushed the entire county down the toilet. Let me emphasize the GHETTO part of that phrase. Unfortunately, the pieces of garbage I am talking about probably won't be searching city-data.com... I am talking about the ones that ride around in converted police cars or even a "Mar-say-deez" with thousand dollar a piece rims and huge speakers but is still living with his grandma and fathered 3 kids who can't read.

Too many people there subscribe to the hip-hop lifestyle, where the value of your character is determined by how shiny your rims are, how clean your sneakers are, and how bad you pitbull is. Does character have anything to do with responsibility and respect? Of course not! Blame everyone else for your woes so yu won't have to deal with them.

Whatever happened to REAL role models for kids? MLK, Stokley Carmicheal, even the Cosbys? They were replaced with Latrell Spreewell, Micheal Vick, Yung Joc, Jeezy, Weezy, Peezy and whatever other clowns there are. Look at all of em... Getting into legal battles over ignorant crap, then rapping about what bad asses they are and act like victims. All it's done is reinforce what their parents have neglected to do.... teach those damn kids responsibility.

I remember seeing Realco Gun Shop in Ft. Washington on the news because a high percentage of guns bought from that shop were used in violent crimes. Who is to blame for that? The ghetto thug who went out and shoot the ice cream man? Those clowns who go Robbing 7-11's and gas stations? NO! They are poor victims of the system that doesn't care about them. Matter of fact, it's the white man selling guns in my community that is to blame! Lets target him!!!!

That clown they call a mayor is rallying up the community to shut it down while being supported by legions of absentee mothers and fathers of illegitimate kids. Nevermind the fact that if they took the time to raise their kids instead of chasing ass, they would have a better community.

None of them have taken the time to THINK. Ever hear the phrase don't sh*t where you eat? Apparently none of them have. They sh*t all over their homes and wonder why it stinks. I'd like to hand every thug in Clinton, Brandywine, College Park, AMERICA a mirror that has STUPID printed on the bottom.
Hey, as a former Montgomery Co resident for many years, that element which you are speaking of is slowly creeping into Montgomery County too. However, it still doesn't compare to PG CO. Be prepared for some real attacks on this board based upon your candor. The truth is always hard to handle. If the truth be known, all over this forum good and law abiding citizens (especially with kids) are desperately attempting to find an area in this country that has good schools and low crime. When I grew up in Montgomery County, the schools were indeed good and the crime rate was low. Unfortunately, over the years, the ghetto mentality began to "ooze" out of DC into PG County and now Montgomery Co (but most people only mention it to each other in a whisper lest they be attacked for being "politically incorrect" and intolerant).

Why are so many people fleeing places like CA (where I lived for over 26yrs)as well as FL(where I am attempting to take flight again) as well as other areas? Why? The answer aint "flying in the wind"; rather, it's right in front of your face--that is, crime, violence, gang mentality, irresponsibility, lack of self discipline, poor parenting, a "you owe me" mentality, et al. I cry when I visit my old hometown of Rockville, MD (and it's still much better than PG CO). It's the same story all over this forum as people flee to ME, MT, ID, NE, and on and on. Your observations are valid, but be prepared for attacks. Read some of the comments on this forum on the other state forums particulary the aforementioned). I really feel for these people as they attempt to relocate to a place somewhat akin to the place that they grew up years ago. Soon, those that have remained in many of these metro areas will wish they had left, but that's another story.Thank God I grew up when I did. I'd hate to be a kid now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:27 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,059 times
EBo202: I am not sure about your race but if you are an African American like myself you would understand that we are tired of people generalizing all blacks or Pg county in one group. We are all different. I have never heard of anyone ever saying all white people are crazy because they shoot up schools or they have a higher percentage of child molesters. I am tired of the bashing of the black race. I am tired of folks saying Pg county is ghetto because what you describe I have never seen in Pg county. It might exist but I have yet to see it. I am not sure if you notice nut the blasting of the music is with every race now not only blacks. I do believe SOME blacks do have issues but you know what every race have them. My husband and I are doing what we can and I feel it is never enough. We bought a home for over 500k. We feel like we are living the AMerican dream. We own 3 business about to start another in November but yet I feel people still put all blacks in the same category.I do believe the black youth are lost because everywhere you look someother race or our race is saying blacks are not doing what we need to do.The Media is only reporting on the negative and not the positive so the black youths can see positive on Tv and have role models. We blacks have plenty of black role models, the only time you will see a black role model make headline is if they made a mistake in their life. We as blacks have so many successful African Americans around the world but why are not getting the positive attention they deserve,why do we hear about them either when they pass away or did something not so positive.

What we as a country need to start doing is talking more about positive African Americans year round so the black youths can know that their are plenty of blacks who are just like them and who are successful and they can too one day become successful.
People talk about blacks drivings with loud music,rims and I hear Pg county is ghetto as if Pg county have no wealthy areas or middle to upper class areas or no family oriented areas.
I am tired of the labels. We are humans just like every race, their are wealthy blacks,Middle class blacks,poor blacks,violent blacks,criminal minded blacks just like every other race. I hate it when a black person commit a crime, the first thing you will hear or see either watching the news or reading newspaper is a black men/women. I hate it when I read/Hear the black community need improvement but yet we have white students shooting up schools left and right and making bombs like it an every day thing. I am yet to hear the white kids have mental issues and they like to shoot people. I have yet to hear the White Community have problems and they need to get their act together but instead I hear American needs to change. I am just tired of the race calling.
I believe if someone commits a crime I can careless about their race. What people need to understand is we are all humans and have the same emotions. I am Hip Hop. I listen to rap music every single day. I love rap,some of my favorite rappers are Jay-Z, young joc,Lil wayne,Lil Kim,T.I, Young Jeeze. Yet I am 23 married raising my son and have business and can afford a home over 500k. My age or my skin color or where I choose to live Pg county, Upper Marlboro doesnot define me. I love it here in Pg county and have no plans on moving.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:09 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
EBo202: I am yet to hear the white kids have mental issues and they like to shoot people. I have yet to hear the White Community have problems and they need to get their act together but instead I hear American needs to change.
Of course you hear about this- maybe YOU just don't see it. Whenever any kid shoots up a school, there's always extensive media reports about it, along with follow ups on victims and information on motives. You say "white community" like that specifies all white people- why is that ok, when it's not ok to say "black community"? It's not only ignorant white people who need to stop generalizing because of race, but the people who complain about "white people". I guess I technically fall under the category of "white people", but when I think about what defines me, I think, woman, mother, wife and many other things before white enters my mind. I promise to consider that there's more to you than the term, black or African American, if you'll consider that there's more to me than being white, or caucasian.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 AM

175 posts, read 733,531 times
Wow, somehow i knew the peace and harmony on this board would not last. Both Iscalder and Ebo made extremely excellent points. However, the Florida hater is clearly a bigot and he basically just made a gross generalization on Ebo comment about all blacks. Ebo, good job for stating you were talking about the "ghetto" blacks also known as the poor black underclass. You are correct and Iscalder has a very valid point.

Florida Hater most likely is about as r-dnecked as he could be about this topic. The whites that move and contribute to "white flight" are usually the lower middle class and middle class whites. I highly doubt whites in McLean would move out if a large group of blacks moved in. Why? Class always takes precedent over race and 90 percent of the time most upper class people get along. The problem with race relations in this country is the poor, lower middle, and middle class. Whites in these economic groups are extremely racist.

No one's alluded to fact that, there was far more crime in America during the 20's, 60's, 70’s, and 80's then there is now. Why the big change in perception? Well, FOX News, MSNBC,CNN,C-SPAN, Court TV, and a host of 24 hour news channels that track and flirter every crime they can cover in this country. Perception we feel less safe, but reality is that we are safer from any statistical evidence you can draw upon. Florida hater not sure what decade you grew up in, but the reduction in crime came in the 90's and now. We have a lot less crime per 1,000 people today then we have ever had in this country in a long time. Your previous statement certainly boarders on racist. Why? You made a generalization on all blacks. whereas Ebo made a clear distinction in saying it is not all blacks. If you want to single out the black underclass as having a large amount of the crime issues in the black community go right ahead statistically you would be correct. In fact it amazes me no one has ever done a study on blacks and crime based on income. Do you think these is because the data does not exist? Or do you think this has to do with a racial element of some people (we'll call bigots) wanting to continue this bs generalization that all blacks are either poor, drug selling, homicidal idiots?

Anyway, Kudos to Ebo and Iscalder they both made very valid arguments on the subject. Is there a pervasive problem in underclass ghetto black community that needs a lot of work? YES! Is it fair to gross generalizing a population of 35 million people based only on 8 million of them that are poor? NO! If you guys are going to be fair in these debates stop gross generalizing (Floridahater.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland