Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 02:33 PM

382 posts, read 954,048 times

Advertisements

Miller Farm has had fresh veggies at their stands in Clinton for more years then I can remember. In fact, I used to raid their corn fields when I was a kid and eat the baby corn right from the stalk. It was the fields right before Hyde Field on Steed road.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 PM

13 posts, read 66,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
I won't choose Philly or PG. You have your persepctive because you lived in Philly and then came here. I grew up in PG and just because I never lived in Philly doesn't mean I don't want a better qulaity of life. Even if Philadelphia has a higher violent crime rate than PG's almost 9,000 last year, I still want a better environment for my children to grow up in. And for your information, I was not a well to do kid and some of these kids are not well to do either. Maybe better off but not well to do...
My brother or sister, life is what you make it. And PG county is no different. We as black people have to take a stand and establish creative ways to make our county better. The first thing we should all do is look in the mirrow and say to ourselves, "What am I doing about it"? If the answer is nothing, then you should get busy. It all starts with each individual. Each and every individual can make all the difference in the world. I am a real estate investor and I helped bring about tremendous change to one of the worst blocks in Washington, DC. Therefore, I am speaking from experience. We can make our county the best in the country. Blacks gave up on DC years ago and now it is making a tremendous come back. Today, many people complain about the schools in PG county, but if you would go to www.mdreportcard.org. you can clearly see that progress is being made in the schools from year to year. If blacks give up on PG county, I guarantee you one thing. Other folks will come in and show us how it is done. Stay strong and get involved to make a difference!!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo202 View Post
It's not that PG sucks and is a complete hellhole, but their image really really does suck and people don't take an active role to change it. When I drive through PG and almost get sideswiped by a crew of 19-year olds on motorcycles going 110mph, that looks bad. When I pull to a gas station and the car next to me is BLASTING F**K, S**T, and nastiness out of its car speakers, that looks bad. When I go grocery shopping and get bombarded by winos asking for change, that looks bad. When I walk around in my business suit and see a grown man walking with his pants below his butt, THAT LOOKS BAD!

Wanna change the image? DON'T EXASCERBATE IT!!! Respect your fellow motorists and don't drive your SUV like a freaking sports car. Turn down the volume when you pull into a public place, because not everyone likes your particular taste in music. See your kids or nephews or cousins looking and talking ghetto, tell them that is unacceptable!!!!

By the way, it has nothing to do with "no one wants to see rich black people." That comment is just stupid. Oh, and I lived in Hyattsville for 4 years, then college park for 3.
What did you do about it? Did you approach the individual in a respectful manner and express your feelings? When I see something that really bothers me, I try to find a way to address it on the spot in a respectful and positive way. I have found that young people don't necessarily respond in a negative manner when I approach them. I have found that some agree and respond in a positive manner. Learn to take control of the situations around you in a safe and positive manner.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
Ebo,

Your post is stupid! Everything you described happens in Montgomery, Fairfax and Howard Counties. Do you think motorcyclist slow down once they leave the PG County side of the beltway? Do you think teens turn their music down or pull their pants up in VA. This happens in every major metro area of the country.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
I still believe that MANY of you are influenced by the media regarding your opinion of PG County. I actually LIVED in the county until 2.5 years ago, and everybody is NOT trying to leave. If that were true, you would be seeing more vacant houses than other parts of the metro area. I just think you really have to familiarize yourself with a place before you can come to a conclusion. I drove to St. Mary's County looking for a home before I moved and the VAST MAJORITY of what I observed caused me to look elsewhere. Then there is Charles County, where I live now, which has "surface" appeal, but once I moved here, I found that it ain't so great either. I'd be estatic to move out of here but I'm not going to spend my life moving around in search of Utopia. I have yet to identify a viable alternative. If I could afford PG county, I would move back there.
Great comments Mom21!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times
I am a native Prince Georgian, I was born and raised and live most of my life in Prince George's County, our family business has been in Prince George's County for 60 years, if I didn't believe that Prince George's County was a good County to live or work in we wouldn't have our business here, and I'm still a resident of this county, and always will be, this is my home and I'm proud of the changes that have been made over the past 60 years, sure some of them are not always the best but they're not the worst either. My suggestion to those who seem to have a big problem with this county, is that you don't have to live here, that's what this country is all about, you can choose where you want to live and if you're not happy here then I suggest you find someplace else to live.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 AM

217 posts, read 751,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJupi91897 View Post
My brother or sister, life is what you make it. And PG county is no different. We as black people have to take a stand and establish creative ways to make our county better. The first thing we should all do is look in the mirrow and say to ourselves, "What am I doing about it"? If the answer is nothing, then you should get busy. It all starts with each individual. Each and every individual can make all the difference in the world. I am a real estate investor and I helped bring about tremendous change to one of the worst blocks in Washington, DC. Therefore, I am speaking from experience. We can make our county the best in the country. Blacks gave up on DC years ago and now it is making a tremendous come back. Today, many people complain about the schools in PG county, but if you would go to www.mdreportcard.org. you can clearly see that progress is being made in the schools from year to year. If blacks give up on PG county, I guarantee you one thing. Other folks will come in and show us how it is done. Stay strong and get involved to make a difference!!
I think I mentioned something along these lines a few pages back.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:02 AM

217 posts, read 751,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I am sorry fishfister but you are wrong.

There are many other options to buying fresh produce in the county. There are real farms in PG county where you can pick your own vegetables and fruit. Millers Farms and Cherry Hill Farms, they make the best homemade muffins with real strawberry preserves. You can buy yougurt and other dairy products and they also make fresh peach ice cream. Try a farmers market.

How about growing a garden like my grandmother and our neighbors who live in Upper Marlboro. If you only think that Giant, Shoppers and other stores are places you can get food then you are lazy. Do some research and you can find these places in PG County. My grandmother shops at these farms ALL the time no BS...plus she grows the best tomatoes and green beans...I hate green beans out of the can (Im absolutly repulsed by them, but I will eat the ones out of the garden).These is also a butcher in Clinton that has fresh meat.

And like I said all you have to do is make do with the situation your in or write to the govenment and complain to them.
Wow! I am lazy because I don't drive all over hell to buy peach ice cream, donuts, muffins and honey sticks from farms in the middle of winter. That solves my problems.
I wonder what produce all of the farmer's markets in this area are stocking in the middle of winter? If they are stocking anything it comes off a truck like the grocery stores are.
I used to pick greens at Miller's until they sold off the plots it grew in and I used to pick apples at Cherry Hill. I am not after donuts and other junk foods - what the grocery stores are full of.

Why would I write to the government about commercial circumstances that pertain to what merchants will or won't stock on their shelves, whether or not they will locate here or the customer service they provide? Think about it - I don't want any government that involved in my life at all. Are they to regulate amenities? There is no branch of any government that regulates what merchants put on their shelves unless it is a health hazard.
Dear Mr President,
Will you pass a bill requiring Trader Joe put a store in Temple Hills?
Thanks,
FF

Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 AM

51 posts, read 311,407 times
Default *shakin head*

As someone who grew up in PG County, I am pretty surprised by a lot of what I see here. People here are just crapping on the county like it's the worst place in the world. Granted, I grew up in Fort Washington (where according to a good amount of people I know in the area, is where all the stuck up black people live), I've have been around any and all kinds of people in PG County. There is good and bad. It is also what you make of it.

1. Generally the "bad areas" of PG County are the areas inside 495 and closer to the DC line.... which has already been mentioned. My friend likes to keep the rule of thumb that anything with the word "Hills" or "Heights" in it should be deemed as the hood. And all that is mainly in the southern portion of PG that border SE DC... Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, District Heights, Capitol Heights, etc. I actually haven't been in those areas in awhile, so I'm not sure if they are improving or not. The areas bordering NE DC are not as bad... Cheverly is actually a very decent and quiet area. Hyattsville is defintely on the come-up. I live in New Carrollton and it is VERY quiet where i live. I was like when people told me it was a rough area. I think they were just goign by the fact that Riverdale (the next town over) is known but being the hood.

Of course most areas outside the Beltway are far more suburban, spread out, and quiet. Not much to ay about that. But whoever said things get cheaper as you get further from DC was terribly wrong. lol... Rent in Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Lanham, Glen Dale, Largo, etc is much higher than the areas closer to DC.

2. The public school system... I graduated from a PG high school in the late 90s. I was #4 in the class and got a full scholarship to one of the top engineering schools in the country. I got a 1300 SAT score. basically, its all in what you make it. The school system might stink (in your opinion) but it's up to you (as a parent) to make the difference and complete the circle of proper education for your child. Teachers and the school board can't do EVERYTHING. The teachers I had were all about giving their all to the students, but when the students don't make the effort to learn, who's fault is it? Why aren't the parents insitling in their child the value of education? Granted, I found it pretty bad that my high school gave out awards to students who scored over 1000 on their SATs, but definitely do NOT blame that on the school system.

On the other hand, we Blacks are our own worst enemy, but that's kind of a different topic. I'll expound on it if anyoen wants me to. lol

Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Wow! I am lazy because I don't drive all over hell to buy peach ice cream, donuts, muffins and honey sticks from farms in the middle of winter. That solves my problems.
I wonder what produce all of the farmer's markets in this area are stocking in the middle of winter? If they are stocking anything it comes off a truck like the grocery stores are.
I used to pick greens at Miller's until they sold off the plots it grew in and I used to pick apples at Cherry Hill. I am not after donuts and other junk foods - what the grocery stores are full of.

Why would I write to the government about commercial circumstances that pertain to what merchants will or won't stock on their shelves, whether or not they will locate here or the customer service they provide? Think about it - I don't want any government that involved in my life at all. Are they to regulate amenities? There is no branch of any government that regulates what merchants put on their shelves unless it is a health hazard.
Dear Mr President,
Will you pass a bill requiring Trader Joe put a store in Temple Hills?
Thanks,
FF

fishfister, you don't want to drive all over the county you live in, but you can't wait to shop in VA.? The only people you should be writing to get a wider variety of products in local stores are the companies that own those stores.
If you want a Trader Joe's in PG County write or email the company. Trader Joe's has a location request form. Just fill it out and ask others to do the same. If they hear from enough people, you'll see a Trader Joe's in the county.

http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland