Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM

29 posts, read 110,089 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved from pg about 2 and a half years ago. We lived in a pretty area, but it was changing fast. when I heard some gunshots in the night about three doors down due to some guys in a car targeting random teens to rob and shoot (in those kids' driveway, no less) we knew it was time to move. The robberies, shootings, break-ins of people's homes by throwing a huge object through a window or patio door, stealing out of your garage and house while you worked in your yard--that is what made us take off the rose-glasses and get out of there. This was Bowie.
When we drove to what used to be another good area recently, our hearts broke at how things have changed: the people (some were downright scary), less care in appearance of the neighborhoods, etc. And just in case we were even thinking that we were being paranoid, we got a chance to witness a chase by a police car and copter. To their credit, the police cars were definitely more present--staked out and watching the goings-on, and one of the main cars we saw staked out was the one chasing down whoever it was breaking laws.
I could go on, but I think what we are all saying is that it hurts when places that were once so beautiful with beautiful memories turn into a hell on Earth. I feel sorry for those who did not move out quick enough and just seem stuck and sad. We (my husband and I) know that it's time for us to leave Maryland behind--now I feel it's a matter of time before it spreads even further out, just as we've witnessed with all of the other areas of Maryland that had close proximity to DC. Imminent Domain and all of the other pretty terms for beautifying less than appealing places is affecting everyone from Maryland areas to Virginia areas. Just sad.

Last edited by alyce; 01-03-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 12:20 PM

350 posts, read 1,646,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Thanks Jessy- I knew others had experienced this also!!! I will never understand how anyone can defend such a place? Maybe I can see things others can't? Or maybe some people live in denial? In the case of defending P.G. county, I would say serious psychological evaluation maybe in order!
To be honest, PG is an extremely desirable area to live due to it's proximity to DC. For those who work in DC, it's the perfect suburb to live in that's a relatively quick commute- and parts of it are beautiful. It's also the largest county in MD, which means that one city can be completely different from another city in the same county. Unfortunately, in my opinion there is no city in PG that I KNOW OF that I'd choose to live in at this point. I spent most of my life living, working, going to school and hanging out in the areas of New Carrollton, Riverdale, College Park, Lanham, Greenbelt and Laurel- and yes, I know that this only encompasses a small area of the county. I've had to watch the neighborhood I grew up in go downhill, which makes me very sad. We've had cars stolen and broken into, an attempted home invasion, and I was personally robbed in Riverdale at an ATM with people around. A young man was shot in the face at a party on the street behind my family's home- where I grew up- just a few months ago. It stinks, and I hate it. There is not enough police presence in the area to deter crime. There are a lot of illegal immigrants in the area, alot of young people(of all races) hanging out on the streets at all hours- I mean young teens- not adults.
I know that there are some areas in PG that are not like that.
I also know that crime can happen anywhere, but I personally do not want to raise my child in an area where I have personally seen that crime worsen over time, and occur more often.
I sincerely hope that they can revitalize the parts of the county that need it, because I'd hate to think of any of it getting worse.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
This is what I'm talking about people-lay out the truth from other mouths-that watched in horror, the county decline in front of our eyes. If your cup of tea is always watching your back and never know whats coming next, by all means you can have it. And I think thats what "the flight" that took place in the '90's was all about. Just like myself-enough was enough. I know what you're talking about when you said about P.G. county police and minorities. This was true. If you were a minority in the '70s, '80's and you were "out of place" driving through say beltsville-they'd ask you "why are you here" and if you got smart with them, yeah they'd crack your head open. and yes alyce when I retire it will not be in Md-no way no how-I give up on this state.

I guess I can say, they can have their cup of tea-make it -brew it -swallow it! NO THANKS!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
I AM GOING TO LAY OUT THE TRUTH...I AM 21, LIVED IN PG ALL MY LIFE AND NOTHING HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME OR MY FAMILY!

HAVE I LOST A FRIEND TO VIOLENCE? YES BUT THEY WERE INVOVLED IN THAT TYPE OF LIFESTYLE.( not saying they got what they deserved but it it what it is).

I AM SAD FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE HAD SOMETHING AFFECT YOU PERSONALLY BUT DO NOT MAKE IT LOOK BAD FOR ALL OF US WHO ENJOY LIVING HERE AND ARE COMPLETELY HAPPY AND NOT IN DENIAL. NO WHERE ELSE IN THIS COUNTRY TALKS LIKE WE DO, DRESS LIKE WE DO AND LISTEN TO UNIQUE MUSIC LIKE GO-GO LIKE WE DO(including DC and NOVA).

I AM GLAD THAT THOSE THAT HATE HAVE LEFT...NOW ITS UP TO THE ONES WHO LOVE IT AND SEE WHAT GOOD IS COMING TO ENJOY IT.

and about the Lowes in Bowie. My best-friend lives across the street along with other friends and my grand parents shop there and at the Khols and Micheals ALL THE TIME and I can assure you and everyone else that there is no way you saw a drug deal happen. Please thats like saying I saw a drug deal by the 7-11 in Upper Marlboro!...please if you are going to bash, do not lie to get your point across.
THANK YOU AND THATS ALL...

Last edited by LoveMiiorHateMii; 01-03-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: another thought

Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I'm glad you do love it. So just because you have friends who live across the street from Lowes and your grandparents shop there those kinds of bad things just don't happen? Please!!

'NO WHERE ELSE IN THIS COUNTRY TALKS LIKE WE DO, DRESS LIKE WE DO AND LISTEN TO UNIQUE MUSIC LIKE GO-GO LIKE WE DO'

And this is a good thing? Lord please help this county.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:38 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
I find it funny that the people who have a negative view of the county feel that they are only "telling the truth." Why don't you just say, you are telling your Truth. Some of us have acutually lived good lives in the county. We have a right to discuss the county we know from our experiences.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:39 PM

250 posts, read 1,377,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
I find it funny that the people who have a negative view of the county feel that they are only "telling the truth." Why don't you just say, you are telling your Truth. Some of us have acutually lived good lives in the county. We have a right to discuss the county we know from our experiences.
I think everyone here has a slanted opinion of the county, myself included. We can only draw our conclusions based off of what you call "your truth". It doesn't make anyone here more right or wrong than anyone else, it just allows us all to be able to read and (hopefully) better understand other people's views of the county to help better shape our own.

P.G. can be a wonderful place to live, and I agree that the county has a more reprehensible perception than it really deserves, but I also feel like that view is slowly changing, and as things continue to change so will it's reputation.

Things like this move in cycles, regions fall in and out of popularity, and I think the Nat'l Harbor is just the first indicator that P.G. is looking to become more and more popular in the coming years.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I AM GOING TO LAY OUT THE TRUTH...I AM 21, LIVED IN PG ALL MY LIFE AND NOTHING HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME OR MY FAMILY!

HAVE I LOST A FRIEND TO VIOLENCE? YES BUT THEY WERE INVOVLED IN THAT TYPE OF LIFESTYLE.( not saying they got what they deserved but it it what it is).

I AM SAD FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE HAD SOMETHING AFFECT YOU PERSONALLY BUT DO NOT MAKE IT LOOK BAD FOR ALL OF US WHO ENJOY LIVING HERE AND ARE COMPLETELY HAPPY AND NOT IN DENIAL. NO WHERE ELSE IN THIS COUNTRY TALKS LIKE WE DO, DRESS LIKE WE DO AND LISTEN TO UNIQUE MUSIC LIKE GO-GO LIKE WE DO(including DC and NOVA).

I AM GLAD THAT THOSE THAT HATE HAVE LEFT...NOW ITS UP TO THE ONES WHO LOVE IT AND SEE WHAT GOOD IS COMING TO ENJOY IT.

and about the Lowes in Bowie. My best-friend lives across the street along with other friends and my grand parents shop there and at the Khols and Micheals ALL THE TIME and I can assure you and everyone else that there is no way you saw a drug deal happen. Please thats like saying I saw a drug deal by the 7-11 in Upper Marlboro!...please if you are going to bash, do not lie to get your point across.
THANK YOU AND THATS ALL...
pwright1 hit it on the nail head-I was not looking for it-I saw what I saw. You may want to believe I didn't see what I saw, but trust me I did. I know a drug deal when I see one. No lies here. Sorry to tell you- the pool of cess has spread to encompass the whole county into a cesspool.

I'm am sooo glad I left too! And all the "other" people who have left P.G. county that helped make it great at one time in the past. You are riding off of the good that was left behind from those that have left, and like a wave coming to a beach it will end or has ended in my thoughts. As crime has risen since 1984, it will continue. Look at my link in crime for the past 20 years and it says it all. In a earlier reply on this thread. I can see the decline I have seen the decline. And no one can deny the decline. It is inevitable that the public services will fail, prince george's county police are undermanned, criminals are running wild, drug dealers sell from their cars in parking lots without a care who can see it? It's all bad? how can you not see it? Like I said before if you like living in that type of environment and don't see anything wrong with it. By all means PLEASE STAY THERE and don't bring that "good living" into A.A. before I retire. So I can get the h*** out first!!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 AM

350 posts, read 1,646,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBenya View Post
I think everyone here has a slanted opinion of the county, myself included. We can only draw our conclusions based off of what you call "your truth". It doesn't make anyone here more right or wrong than anyone else, it just allows us all to be able to read and (hopefully) better understand other people's views of the county to help better shape our own.

P.G. can be a wonderful place to live, and I agree that the county has a more reprehensible perception than it really deserves, but I also feel like that view is slowly changing, and as things continue to change so will it's reputation.

Things like this move in cycles, regions fall in and out of popularity, and I think the Nat'l Harbor is just the first indicator that P.G. is looking to become more and more popular in the coming years.
Well said, we can all only draw on our own experiences, and just because some of us have had bad experiences and some of us have had good experiences doesn't make any of us wrong.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
First of all there has not been any drug dealing where i live and i can tell many of you that that is not happening in Upper Marlboro. I mean just because many of you have live in "bad" parts of the county does not mean all of us do. I live here and what? I love it and what? I am telling about my truths things that I have seen and what I know as a young person.

The problem is people like you that go around telling people how bad it is not really going around to ALLLLLLL parts of the county. Just because you see something going on in Suitland or wherever DOES NOT mean that the same stuff is goin on in ACCOKEEK.

Like I said if you are going to bash it bash the AREAS that are bad not the whole county. OR do some research come to Upper Marlboro, Mitchellville, Accokeek, etc. and see what you can find. I bet $100 that you won't find what you have described.

And on the culture thing...I live in Philly 6 months out of the year and they love girls from PG county because we do have our own culture...travel to other black cities like Atlanta and they say the same.
Do not push your truth or what you think is the truth on others. And I won't bring it to A.A. where it seems like delusional people live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland