Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM

146 posts, read 374,812 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginia does a much better job then Mont. Co at attracting young single professionals, Arlington's urban villages attract young professionals that flock to dc area and jobs that follow them. I can't tell you how tired I am of having friends that move to the dc metro always choosing to live in rosslyn, courthouse, clarendon, and virginia square and never even considering bethesda or silver spring.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
I know many people who move to Silver Spring, and Bethesda is practically the nation's capital of "young professionals" (for those who can afford it). I do agree Arlington is very nice and it has good transit options unlike most of NoVa. If I had to move across the river that's where I would be headed.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM

bethesda has young professionals but its no where close to the capital of them

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Most young professionals I know choose DC over MD or VA. Usually people who want an urban style lifestyle seek VA or MD as alternatives since rent and highrises are more affordable, especially in comparion to what you get in DC.

Arlington has done a lot to revitalize themselves but it also has a lot more bars that are geared towards young professionals while Bethesda has a more upscale feel with much better restaurant options. I've hung out in Arlington a few times, but never feel drawn to the area to move there.

I'm one of those young professionals that likes Bethesda or Silver Spring over Arlington. In fact, as my friends and I near the dreaded 3-0, quite a few have crossed over the river to join me in MD as they like the shopping and restuarants much better in Bethesda, Chevy Chase or Rockville. For nightlife, we usually go out to DC as Bethesda bars aren't exactly happening and for that matter neither are Arlington's.

Montgomery is taking steps to revitalize the areas near the White Flint Metro to make it more pedestrian friendly to make it's own version of the Wilson Corridor; including the possibility of a new metro strop between White Flint and to Grosvenor. More talk about this has been discussed on Greater Greater Washington:
For Montgomery's future, look to Arlington - Greater Greater Washington
White Flint at forefront of urbanism on Rockville Pike - Greater Greater Washington

However; Arlington is not perfect, while it is a magnet for young professionals a lot of my friends who have been in the area for quite sometime have complained about Arl losing many local establishments that have had to move to other places due the higher costs from revitalization. I would hate to see this happen to the myriad of mom and pop and whole-in-the-wall restaurants along the Pike.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
For anyone interested, I believe Shirlington is still a hot spot for singles.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
Northern Virginia does a much better job then Mont. Co at attracting young single professionals, Arlington's urban villages attract young professionals that flock to dc area and jobs that follow them. I can't tell you how tired I am of having friends that move to the dc metro always choosing to live in rosslyn, courthouse, clarendon, and virginia square and never even considering bethesda or silver spring.
1. Extend I-270 into DC.

2. Rebuild White Flint, Montgomery Mall, and City Place to Mirror Pentgon City Mall and Ballston Commons.

3. Remove the Strict Building Height Code.

4. Remove the Anti-Growth Politicians(that are connected to the anti-Growth Special Interest Groups) that make it extremely difficult to attract Major Businesses from locating to Montgomery County.

5. Instead of building Only Condos along most of the Red Line Metro Stations they need to Include Office Parks and Retail Districts to live up to that so-called "Smart Growth" BS.

6. Get rid of the Politicians and Special Interest Groups that are trying their best to prevent Major Retail(Big Box-National Chains) from being built in Montgomery and PG Counties. It makes no sense for Fairfax County, Loudon County, and Prince William County to have Walgreens, Wegmans, Super Wal-Mart, and Neiman Marcus but Montgomery County and PG County doesn't...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I know many people who move to Silver Spring, and Bethesda is practically the nation's capital of "young professionals" (for those who can afford it). I do agree Arlington is very nice and it has good transit options unlike most of NoVa. If I had to move across the river that's where I would be headed.
Anyone with Common Sense will know that Arlington is More of a Urban City then it is a Suburban County next to DC like Brooklyn/Queens/Bronx is to Manhattan. Arlington Historically is supposed to be the other Half of Washington, DC.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
For anyone interested, I believe Shirlington is still a hot spot for singles.
No suprise since its convenient to I-395 as the Prime Link into Downtown DC.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
2. Rebuild White Flint, Montgomery Mall, and City Place to Mirror Pentgon City Mall and Ballston Commons.

6. Get rid of the Politicians and Special Interest Groups that are trying their best to prevent Major Retail(Big Box-National Chains) from being built in Montgomery and PG Counties. It makes no sense for Fairfax County, Loudon County, and Prince William County to have Walgreens, Wegmans, Super Wal-Mart, and Neiman Marcus but Montgomery County and PG County doesn't...
Regarding your # 2 point, have you actually been to Pentagon City or Ballston Commons? Because Montgomery blows Pentagon City away and it's not even on the same level as that swap meet known as Ballston (although City Place is probably on the same level as Ballston).

Futhermore, MoCo has plenty of Big Box Stores including a Saks and 2 Bloomingdale's. How would increase Big Box stores help transform the area into one that is more pedestrian friendly?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
Regarding your # 2 point, have you actually been to Pentagon City or Ballston Commons? Because Montgomery blows Pentagon City away and it's not even on the same level as that swap meet known as Ballston (although City Place is probably on the same level as Ballston).

Futhermore, MoCo has plenty of Big Box Stores including a Saks and 2 Bloomingdale's. How would increase Big Box stores help transform the area into one that is more pedestrian friendly?
Good point I don't see those things really making a huge difference but $mk8795 makes a good observation that Moco has far too many anti growth politicians and restrictions on development that hinder serious development along rockville pike and business growth in the I 270 corridor, that in addition to anti business tax structure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland