Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,690 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the Silver Spring area and looking to buy a condo in a safe, cool area with lots of options for dining/shopping, etc. I'm not sure since I live out West currently...where is the hottest spot to live??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
If I were 20, I wouldn't bother with Silver Spring. The safe areas are boring, and the downtown isn't safe.

I'd look further out in Gaithersburg or Germantown, which are more affordable. Or, if you can afford it, Bethesda or Northwest DC.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 AM

471 posts, read 1,831,150 times
Agree with last poster. Or to add, you could try southwest DC. I used to work for a condo association near the waterfront, it was quiet and near the subway. I wouldn't bother with Silver Spring either for what you're looking for.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegg View Post
I'm relocating to the Silver Spring area and looking to buy a condo in a safe, cool area with lots of options for dining/shopping, etc. I'm not sure since I live out West currently...where is the hottest spot to live??
Let me clarify. My favorite area for hanging out and shopping would be downtown Bethesda. There are nice sidewalk cafes, trendy shops and movie houses. But, unless you are making big dollars, I doubt that someone in their twenties could afford to live there.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM

198 posts, read 926,665 times
I disagree that downtown Silver Spring isn't safe. It has undergone revitalizion, there is shopping, restaurants, a stadium seating movie theater, coffee shops etc. I've walked around downtown Silver Spring at night alone to meet friends for dinner and have never felt unsafe. I do agree that it is not a hip area per se for the 20 something crowd. Will you be working in Silver Spring? Bethesda does have lots of restaurants and shopping and will be more expensive than Silver Spring. I don't think of it as being a hip 20-something place either and I wouldn't choose Bethesda over Silver Spring if I were young, renting and worked in downtown Silver Spring.

I think the current hip, 20 something locations are in DC itself, or in Arlington, VA. I would not live in Arlington and commute to Silver Spring. If you're working in Silver Spring I think you would enjoy living in downtown Silver Spring as a young person. You could also live in the city and do a reverse commute out to Maryland.

Most young people in the DC area get a roommate or live in a group house to defray living costs.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 15,181 times
Default places NOT to live in your 20s

To be 20 and living in Gaithersburg or Germantown sounds like a fate worse than death. Not only are those areas horribly boring and hideously ugly, they are way too far from town. Ditto Bethesda. Yawn (Good food but no soul.)

To say that downtown Silver Spring isn't safe is ridiculous--it is very safe and close to the Metro where you can go places that you might really want to go in your 20s--like U st in DC. And SS is affordable.

You can also try Columbia Heights or Mt Pleasant--a tad more crime but still affordable and at least they are close in.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM

144 posts, read 631,210 times
I would agree with the recent posters that downtown Silver Spring is safe. I spend time down there. It has been revitalized and the police station is right there. There are always police at City Place Mall. For a downtown area I consider it very safe and is a good hangout for someone in their twenties.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,234,770 times
bonniegg

Silver Spring is a nice area with lots of restaurants and stores and a metro stop for your convenience. You may want to rent for a little while before buying a condo here. As for rent, you'll need a roommate or two to defray costs... and if you look hard enough, you will be able to find a good deal. If you find something decent under $550/mo or less (after splitting rent costs with a roomie or two), take it! That would be a steal. Currently, I pay $650/mo on rent. If you want to buy a condo, there are some that go for $300-350K minimum. Most likely they'll go for $400K and up.

There aren't a lot of bars here. Well, there are, but they are restaurant-bars. No clubs. If you are a nightlife junkie, then Silver Spring is not for you. If however, you aren't crazy about the nightlife, and want more of an urbanish suburban mixture with a good selection of restaurants and nice places to walk around, then give it a good look before you commit.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,304,475 times
I am also in my 20's and I move from NW DC to suburban life in Upper Marlboro. I love living in Dc as a young person so much things to do. Washington Dc is where all the Night clubs are such as Love night club,H20,Avenue which my friend owns she is only 22 yrs old,Platinum and much more. Dc is for the young crowd. I think a good area to purchase a condo is Southeast Dc people under estimate southeast dc but its the up and coming area. Dc have lots of restaurants,shopping, Dc came a very long way.

Down town Silver spring is really nice to eat out but the shopping is horrible. Nothing really happens in Silver Spring but people walking around.
Its more of a family area not for a person in their 20's it might be kinda boring.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:29 AM

143 posts, read 871,713 times
I don't know where your job is, but I'm in my mid-20's and I really like Hanover, MD. You have Arundel Mills which is pretty large and has a 24-screen movie theatre. Pretty trendy...

Also, you aren't far from Annapolis....

My guess, you might be able to find something affordable in a decent neighborhood in any of the surrounding areas here.

I'm a realtor, and if you want to send me a private message with the price amount you had in mind, I could narrow in on a few condominiums/community and tell you what's nearby...

I agree with the whole Silver Spring thoughts from other posters....unless your job or is there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland