Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 24,130 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I just accepted a job at the USDA in Riverdale Park, and I now need to find an apartment. My price limit for rent is no more than $1200, and I would like a place that isn't too far of a commute from Riverdale Park (no more than a ~30 minute drive/bus with traffic). I'm coming down from western MA, so I'm used to extremely safe conditions (I sometimes don't even lock the front door of my house). However, I realize that the safety is a relative term, and I understand that urbanized areas have higher crime rates than small little town in western MA in general. I just want to live in a decent area where the police actually do their jobs and protect the citizens under their jurisdiction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:27 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times
There is a huge amount of apartments in the area. There are plenty of them south of East/West Hwy in Riverdale itself, but there are alot of apartments closer to your job in College Park, particularly those on Columbia Ave near the College Park Metro station. The area is patrolled by both the Prince George's County Police Dept and the University of MD Police Dept. However, College Park is a college town and most of the apartments are full of college kids, I dont know if that makes a difference to you.

If you don't want to live in a college town, there are plenty of other options in the area. Greenbelt is north of Riverdale and also has alot of apartments. Greenbelt has its own police department and is also patrolled by the PG Police. The only apartments I would avoid in Greenbelt are Springhill Lake/Empirian Village (old buildings, higher crime, etc). Some complexes you could look into are Windsor Green, Glen Oaks, Greenbriar, etc.

Hyattsville is west of Riverdale and also has alot of apartments. I'm not sure of the prices but there are some nice new apartments in the University Town Center complex near PG Plaza Mall, as well as some older apartments behind the mall. There are also some apartments in the historic district of the city like Top of the Park, Hyattsville House, Courtyard Park, Kirkwood, and Prince George's Apartments. Hyattsville also has its own police department. Be careful looking at apartments with Hyattsville addresses because alot of unincorporated areas around the city that aren't necessarily as safe use Hyattsville mailing addresses. For example, I would avoid apartments in Langley Park and some parts of Landover.

Hope this help gets you started, if you have any more questions let me know.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 PM

I was actually thinking of living outside the beltway. I know this will increase my commute, but from what I've read about the town of Crofton, I kinda like it. What do you think of these areas outside of the beltway?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM

In general, the areas outside the beltway tend to be safer and more expensive than those inside of it. I've never lived in Crofton but from what I've seen passing through it, it seems like a nice place. The only downside I can think of is that the traffic along Rt. 3 can get pretty bad

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
You can live in Greenbelt,Hyattsville,Silver Spring,College park,Bowie,Largo and Upper Marlboro.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Most of those areas are not as safe as what you are used to, but some are okay. Crofton is closest to what you are looking for that I have seen listed here so far.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM

If I were to settle in Crofton, what would my options be for getting to Riverdale Park? From what I've been able to research, I would likely drive to/from work everyday. Is anyone familiar with this commute?

Also, I've been looking into Laurel. It is right on the MARC Camden line, and it seems like a nice area from what I've been able to read about it (apartment forums, general forums, etc). Would all you helpful folk agree with this general statement?

Thanks again for your help with all of this.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Crofton is some what rural area. It is far from the city feel. I would rather Bowie or Largo over Crofton which are closer to Riverdale and Largo is a safe area with Metro line. You would really like Bowie.
Laurel is nice but the only issue I have with Laurel is metro. You must have a car or take Marc train which does not make stops at all metro station.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieinplantbio View Post
If I were to settle in Crofton, what would my options be for getting to Riverdale Park? From what I've been able to research, I would likely drive to/from work everyday. Is anyone familiar with this commute?

Also, I've been looking into Laurel. It is right on the MARC Camden line, and it seems like a nice area from what I've been able to read about it (apartment forums, general forums, etc). Would all you helpful folk agree with this general statement?

Thanks again for your help with all of this.
If you do end up in Crofton, this is the fastest way I can think of to your job:

-Get on Rt 3 South
-Take the exit for Rt 50 West
-Take the exit for Rt 410 North
-Turn left on East/West Highway
-Turn right on Kenilworth Ave
-Turn left on River Rd

Depending on traffic, I'd say it would take about 30-45 minutes each way

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the directions! I checked out the provided route on google maps, and it does look like the most direct way to Riverdale Park. I've selected several apartments in Crofton as potentials, and I'll visit them when I'm flown down to apartment hunt in a couple of weeks.

And thanks for your suggestions lscalder. I'll look into Largo. The one benefit I can immediately see from see Largo is the directionality of my commute; assuming lots of people are driving to DC, it looks like I'll be traveling opposite of traffic to/from work. I have to admit, however, that I might like the more rural feel of Crofton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland