Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM

71 posts, read 337,398 times

Advertisements

I spent a lot of time around Suitland in the late 90's... I really didn't see many nice parts of that area. If there are some, I missed 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 AM

692 posts, read 1,731,800 times
[quote=ebo202;2104406]I spent a lot of time around Suitland in the late 90's... I really didn't see many nice parts of that area. If there are some, I missed 'em.[/QUOTE

Crime in Suitland has been a problem for many years. But the majority of the residents are law abiding citizens. They go to work each day, raise their children, and pay their taxes. Many residents have homes they take pride in and are fighting to improve their neighborhoods. They are not trash.

http://www.goprincegeorgescounty.com/SuitlandContest/PDF/Suitland-Contest_Resource-Packet.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
Why would the residents trash it?
The very same reason why Iverson Mall, Rivertowne, and Eastover went downhill. Whether it being lack of supervision of teenagers, total disrespect for people and property, or (for lack of a better word) just plain ghetto. I've lived in PG for most of my life, lived in several cities, and witnessed first hand how something prominent and beneficial to a community can turn negatively fast. Granted there are a few exceptions but these exceptions are minuscule to everything else. Crime, drugs, violence, are the culprits here. National Harbor will be just another place to spread this to unless something is done and soon before it even opens up. If anyone has a plausible solution to this, please, I would want to know.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,016 times
I have been a resident of PG County my entire life and I am very proud of it. Alot of you have mentioned Suitland in which they are really about to get a make over... And I pray that it's for the best.

http://www.suitlandmanor.com/vision.html

Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 AM

51 posts, read 311,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renowned all over View Post
The very same reason why Iverson Mall, Rivertowne, and Eastover went downhill. Whether it being lack of supervision of teenagers, total disrespect for people and property, or (for lack of a better word) just plain ghetto. I've lived in PG for most of my life, lived in several cities, and witnessed first hand how something prominent and beneficial to a community can turn negatively fast. Granted there are a few exceptions but these exceptions are minuscule to everything else. Crime, drugs, violence, are the culprits here. National Harbor will be just another place to spread this to unless something is done and soon before it even opens up. If anyone has a plausible solution to this, please, I would want to know.

Unfortunately you are right. I was saying beforehand that if they allow Metrobuses to go to National Harbor then that place is DOA. The fact that it's in Oxon Hill (even though the press reports keep saying Fort Washington... I guess bcuz Ft Wash is the better area) doesn't make it much better.

But then again, I was scared for Capital Blvd Center in Largo and it's not as bad as I would have expected it to become. Granted a good amount of unruly people go out there (esp teenagers on Fri and Sat nights), it's still pretty good to go to. Maybe National Harbor will be that way.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM

692 posts, read 1,731,800 times
"No Joy in D.C. Over Word of Team Deal With Prince George's Hotel"

washingtonpost.com

Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,732 times
I know I'm late with this comment but this is a topic of extreme interest for me. I'm a PG Co. native and pretty much grew up in Oxon Hill. I had a discussion with my cousin recently about how Sizzler (remember that restaurant, it was where the laundromat that burned down that was next to Danny's on Oxon Hill Rd.) was probably the best restaurant that we had in Oxon Hill (in my 21 years of living in there). Now we have Outback Steakhouse (yay...) in Rivertowne which is great for people who like those kinds of restaurants but low-end CHAINS aren't my thing anymore. I don't foresee The Palm or even Clyde's (which isn't high-end but high quality) coming to Oxon Hill anytime soon and there aren't a lot of people who could afford The Palm or maybe even appreciate Clyde's living here either. For the few who would, I think the National Harbor is a breath of fresh air.

I spend most of my time in DC because I'm an urbanite at heart and IMO the 'burbs are for families, people who want more bang for their buck in housing or who don't care for the hustle and bustle of the city (I've lived in faster cities than DC but it will do while I'm here). However, I know many residents of Oxon Hill and PG County as a whole who hate having to go to Montgomery Co., DC, Virginia or any place outside PG to find a plethora of decent shopping, entertainment and dining options. From what I see coming to the National Harbor, it will offer an option to people in PG Co. who are into and prefer higher end and upscale places. No it won't appeal to everyone for various reasons but everything isn't for everyone (variety is the spice of life ya know). As far as providing jobs, I think outside of the hotels and a couple of the retail stores, you'll probably need experience in similar establishments (looking at the restaurant list I'm sure they'll want people who have previously worked in restaurants). Having worked for in a restaurant based out of LA, the two restaurants from LA that are coming (Ketchup and Dolce Enoteca E Ristorante) I know they will. I read that two restaurants from the Ark Restaurant Group are coming (they own Sequoia in Georgetown) so maybe Sundays in the spring and summer at the National Harbor waterfront will be like Sundays in the spring and summer at the Georgetown Waterfront (if you've been you know what I'm talking about).

It's going to be metro-accessible with a limited stop bus route from Southern Ave. Station. It'll run every 20-30 minutes from 6 AM to 10 PM so people who don't drive can check the place out during the day. You can also take a water taxi between there and Old Town and Georgetown (now that's hot). Metro access can lead to another Pentagon City (which has gone down hill over the years and I've seen my share of fights between young people there) or Capital Blvd. Maybe the place will appear so pretentious that possible troublemakers won't even bother. All in all, the National Harbor is a commercial Godsend for PG County.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM

217 posts, read 752,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBradshaw View Post
I think it's a great project. PG has deserved something like this for some time. It's a good way to make use of that prime waterfront property.
Wrong place, wrong time. There are miles of open land along the beltway between Rt 4 and Central ave. that were prime for any corporation that built in NoVA to build on. One would have opened the floodgates. Building a swanky swamp hut downwind from Blue Plains won't be the glamor spot of the county as far as 75% of the residents are concerned.
I have no Idea what you know of that prime waterfront property but a friend of mine was one of the initial surveyors to look at it almost 20 years ago and it isn't a harbor unless someone does some serious dredging right up to the banks. That can't happen because the soil will give in and the place will be endangered to falling into the water. Do they really want a harbor there and if so how big of a craft do they intend to facilitate?

I am not totally against the place, I just think the state and county governments let us down 30 years ago and this isn't the cure.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,747 times
Default Hot air

I see a lot of negative comments from people that say they don't live in PG about PG County and the national harbor project.

Apparently thats not keeping a lot of them from visiting the national harbor though. Ive visited the National Harbor every weekend since April when it opened, and the place is loaded with people who don't look like they live in the county.

Too much money has been invested. Too expensive to lodge or dine there for criminals. Too many outsiders that don't want their own communities disrupted by a development like this visiting and spending money.

It will be successful.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

44 posts, read 196,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparian View Post
No one in the metro area cares about filthy PG county or its "National Harbor". That's why.
lmfbao!!! touche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland