Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM

311 posts, read 1,385,785 times

Advertisements

I live in Charles County. It's growing really fast and they are sticking houses EVERYWHERE! I guess it's good that it's probably 99% single family homes, and have not seen new rental housing in years, but I think it's still growing TOO fast. Nevertheless, everything there is centered right together and if you are lucky enough to get housing there, it's SO convenient. For me it's so convenient that I sometimes shop all day and go home when I need to use the restroom or unload packages!

There is, however an increase in crime along with the growth, especially robberies. You really need to be aware of your surroundings. Personally, I stay away from the Mall at night unless I can park REALLY close to the stores. I think the strip malls are safer because the parking is so close up. But the best stores are in the strip malls anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,192 times
Default Charles County, MD

I am a 29 year old professional female with a 3 level house in an upscale neighborhood. I am renting my basement which includes your own living room, bedroom, full bath, kitchenette, laundry room with washer/dryer & walkout patio/yard. If you decide to take the teaching job and are interested in a place to stay, contact me at fjennell at hotmail to discuss further. I am looking for a professional female. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 25,310 times
Default Charles County

I am starting my third year living in Charles county--Waldorf specifically. The only thing I don't care for is the traffic and congestion. Waldorf continues to grow with more restaurants and shops coming to town. Since you will be working here, you will only endure the traffic when moving around town. White Plains and La Plata are not as congested so you could look at real estate there. Hope this helps

rvs

Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 AM

22 posts, read 105,272 times
I live in St. Mary's county and looking to buy elsewhere because the commute is kicking my behind and I am a single parent with a 7 yr old. So in my opinion, the low cost of housing isn't worth the loss of quality in living as far as time is concerned.

I considered Waldorf, but as previously discussed; the growth and traffic are tremendous. Most of the people I know have homes that are worth 500-600K, but bought them for about 200K 4-5 yrs ago. The rest us have to just eat cake. The houses for 250K (my budget) are places that have high rental rates and look as though they are no longer well cared for. I went to many areas within 250-270K and was very disappointed. Bottom line...if you can go atleast 320K you will be fine.

But be cautious, at some point they will run out of space. Good Luck!!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 57,893 times
Charles county has alot of crime! An old neighborhood of mine has drastically changed. A man was held at gunpoint on his sidewalk! Not sure where these other folks live, but I vote for Calvert!!!

Teaching jobs in your future? Contact the BOE off DAres Beach Road. I also used to teach. Good luck to you. We need more devoted teachers....benefits are good

Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

10 posts, read 57,893 times
Hi- You should try North County Resales in (Walnut Creek, Peach Blossom Farm) Sunderland is not bad. The commute to AAFB is about 35 minutes from Huntingtown.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 PM

311 posts, read 1,385,785 times
Quote:
Charles county has alot of crime! An old neighborhood of mine has drastically changed. A man was held at gunpoint on his sidewalk! Not sure where these other folks live, but I vote for Calvert!!!
I said that crime was increasing. You just have to be aware of your surroundings. A lot of people who lived in Charles County for years can't face the fact that crime is increasing and they do stupid stuff that says "please make me a crime victim". I came from PG County so I know how to just use common sense. Notwithstanding the fact that crimes is increasing in Charles, you tell me where it's NOT increasing! And yes, some neighborhoods have gone WAY so I will say upfront that you want to observe carefully if you are considering Carrington, Lancaster, Bannister and Acton Village. There are still some quiet spots there but you need to visit day and night. In fact, where I live, my block at the front of the development is like night and day from the back of the development. People who walk their dogs on my block are always telling me they wish they lived in my section.

However, I see an ever so slight change that I have figured out this way: the starter homes (townhouses) are being purchased by families, because they can no longer afford single family starter homes. So little by little I see that investors who were renting out (lots of section 8) are starting to cash in and sell to families who want starter homes. It's making a change and if prices stay pretty much where they are, without an increase in salaries, that trend could continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland