U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm sorry for my poor English. I am from Russia. If i say smth incorrect, please forgive me.
My husband is a visiting professor at the Kennan Institute in Washington, DC. We (he, our daughter (10 years old) and son (2) and I) are to ariive in the USA in March, 2010. Now it is my task and actually a terrible headache to find a place for us to live for 6 month (till September). It is very difficult to do when you are so far from the place.
We need a place that will be safe, close to bus or metro (i'm not sure if it is correct - I mean we won't have a car, and everything should be in a walking distance) and to shops .
What should I look for - is it possible to rent a 1-bedroom unit, or we have to look fo at least 2-bedroom one?
We'd like to find smth decent and not very expensive, because there are so many plans about our visit, so many places we all want to see in your country - we'll need all our money.

Is it possible to find smth like that in Washington? I was thinking about Rockville, Silver Spring... Maybe Kensington...

I'll be glad to hear all your suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM

921 posts, read 2,483,433 times
What is the monthly amount you are willing to spend on an apartment?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 AM

Well, the less the better. I think we can afford something about 1500. Not more.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM

220 posts, read 675,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmado View Post
Well, the less the better. I think we can afford something about 1500. Not more.
1500 for a two bedroom apartment is realistic, probably not in Kensington and some parts of Rockville. But Silver Spring has quite a few SAFE areas with apartments in that range. To help you a little, stay away from these apartemnt complexes:
-Montgomery Paint Branch (Lockwood crew)
-Montgomery White Oak (Lockwood crew)
-Windsor Court and Tower (38 Castle Blvd Crew)
-Nob Hill (Crush Mob 88 crew)
-Franklin Apartments (Maple ave crew)
^^those are cheaper but the crime around there is terrible

Look at:
-The Barrington (Downtown Silver Spring)
-Oxford Square at White Flint (Rockville)
-Knights Bridge I and II (Greencastle-Silver Spring)
^^Have apartments in your price range in a more decent area

Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 PM

371 posts, read 395,096 times
1500 is hard. If your first priority is safety and you do not mind being crammed I would try rockville pike, those apartments are nice. I wouldn't want to live in downtown silver spring or greencastle... Those areas are just as rough as lockwood or castle blvd. Maybe Oxford Square near white flint...

Old 11-14-2009, 02:23 AM

Thanks a lot!
And what about this: is it possible in our situation to rent a 1-bedroom apartment ( with 2 kids, but our toddler for sure doesn't need a separate room) or we have to look for 2-bedroom at least?

And one more question: somewhere on this forum I've read that it is possible to meet roaches and even rats in some places. That sounds terrible! Is it so common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland