Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Germantown and my daughter will go to Seneca Valley HS next year. I've heard that the school is bad, but I don't have any real facts or proof. Does anyone have some information about Seneca Valley? I am trying to decide whether to stay in Germantown or move to Rockville. Thank you very much for all your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
My sister goes there... Its very average as far as MoCo schools are concerned... There seems to be a lot of shady kids that go there...

Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,369 times
I wouldn't want my kids going there. Not that I've heard anything specifically bad about it, but I don't know.. I'm weirded out by most high schools.. too many students, not enough room, etc I hate that most of the schools around here have trailers.. especially after hearing how a lot of them have mold issues.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM

45 posts, read 136,650 times
My son is in the 10th grade at SVHS and the school is fine. Every school has problems in terms of the choices that kids made; however, I think what's more important is what the school offers academically and how involved/knowledgeable the staff is. SVHS staff is involved with their students and the administrators are very responsive to parents. Bottom line is the student has to take advantage of what's available and fully engage in school. Seneca is not a war zone by any means and they do offer competitive programs. That being said...I do think that there are other schools in MoCo that offer more academically.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
My daughter went to Seneca for the year we lived in Germantown. We didn't hate it. We moved to Fairfax County, (Burke) Virginia as soon as we found a house, but not because of Seneca.

My daughter was in the IB program and those kids seem to stick together. She was also involved in chorus and drama..both fantastic programs.

Is it safe? I think so. During school hours, I never worried about her. I wouldn't have felt comfortable with her on campus after school hours unless she was with a supervised group. I wouldn't have let her walk home. But discipline if pretty tight at Seneca. The staff does a good job of ensuring students are safe at school.

We heard negative things about Seneca when we moved to Germantown. It turned out to be the only positive part of our experience. Comparing Seneca to my daughter's school here in Burke...I would say Lake Braddock is a better school. But I wouldn't call Seneca a bad school by any means.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM

490 posts, read 924,086 times
Why didn't you send your Child to Northwest HS....Its a better school and its right down the Street

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 23,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Why didn't you send your Child to Northwest HS....Its a better school and its right down the Street

I don't think you can choose like that. I know someone who had issues with kids at QO and wanted to go to NW instead. The county refused the transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland