Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
There are several neighborhoods in Bowie - from every decade -- from the still-being-built, early 2000s, 1990s, 1980s, 1970s and 19060s. (Being from South Phila I call them "neighborhoods" and hate the word "development" - as in which 'development do you live in? UGH. Anyway....

I like houses with 'character' and 'charm' those tend to be older houses, not the cookie cutter houses that have been thrown up in the last 20 years. (so close to each other you can hear someone cough -- and do 'other' things, too)

The Levitt homes of Bowie were built from about 61-66, depending on the section. And I personally think they were well made and are holding up well.

Also, I think that with the houses built by 'developers' recently -- since the 80's -- the workmanship and quality of materials just isn't there. Despite the higher costs, they just seem cheaper. They may have all the fancy granite counter tops, and crown moulding, and soaking tub, but the house itself just doesn't seem well built. (Can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but that's my prejudice, I guess)

Comments about 'percentage' of homes that are 'fixed up' or not -- are just meaningless generalizations. And by fixed up I don't mean just maintained -- I mean completely remodeled and just as up-to-date as newer homes. I have granite counter tops and maple cabinets, and so do my neighbors. I have Brazilian cherry hardwood floors, my neighbors have SS appliances, and hot tubs.

Are there houses that have some original owners who are elderly now with their original fixtures? Sure. But there are also houses built in the '60s that are completely redone top to bottom, that complete very nicely (except for size of MBA, closets, etc) with newer homes.

SIZE of closets and master baths we can't do anything about. Houses just weren't built decades ago with 8x8 walk-ins and 12x12 master baths. But on modernization of the BONES, FIXTURES, and FINISHES of the house - there are plenty that are just as gorgeous inside as homes being built today.
Sounds good. But charm and character for a Levitt house? IDK about that. There are some cute houses, but you only have about three or four models repeated throughout the neighborhoods, and they are basically tract homes. Nothing wrong with that, but the nature of tract homes lends itself to repetition, and fewer unique qualities. Also, I would say that the "fixing up" is what distinguishes them or makes them somewhat unique, at least on the inside and partially on the outside. I've seen some nice additions and landscaping with the Levitt homes. To me, that sort of fixing up is not meaningless b/c it helps build on the character of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

331 posts, read 1,198,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
There are several neighborhoods in Bowie - from every decade -- from the still-being-built, early 2000s, 1990s, 1980s, 1970s and 19060s. (Being from South Phila I call them "neighborhoods" and hate the word "development" - as in which 'development do you live in? UGH. Anyway....

I like houses with 'character' and 'charm' those tend to be older houses, not the cookie cutter houses that have been thrown up in the last 20 years. (so close to each other you can hear someone cough -- and do 'other' things, too)

The Levitt homes of Bowie were built from about 61-66, depending on the section. And I personally think they were well made and are holding up well.

Also, I think that with the houses built by 'developers' recently -- since the 80's -- the workmanship and quality of materials just isn't there. Despite the higher costs, they just seem cheaper. They may have all the fancy granite counter tops, and crown moulding, and soaking tub, but the house itself just doesn't seem well built. (Can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but that's my prejudice, I guess)

Comments about 'percentage' of homes that are 'fixed up' or not -- are just meaningless generalizations. And by fixed up I don't mean just maintained -- I mean completely remodeled and just as up-to-date as newer homes. I have granite counter tops and maple cabinets, and so do my neighbors. I have Brazilian cherry hardwood floors, my neighbors have SS appliances, and hot tubs.

Are there houses that have some original owners who are elderly now with their original fixtures? Sure. But there are also houses built in the '60s that are completely redone top to bottom, that complete very nicely (except for size of MBA, closets, etc) with newer homes.

SIZE of closets and master baths we can't do anything about. Houses just weren't built decades ago with 8x8 walk-ins and 12x12 master baths. But on modernization of the BONES, FIXTURES, and FINISHES of the house - there are plenty that are just as gorgeous inside as homes being built today.
I have been looking to buy in the Levitt homes section of Bowie for a long time. I'm really pleased to read your post. We may be neighbors one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland