Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM

51 posts, read 119,921 times

Advertisements

Thanks! We actually just started looking at Charlotte Hall as well. I think we will probably have to make a trip up to the area to check it out. I can't really get a lot of information on these areas online besides on here, lol. Leonardtown is definitely out now but what about Charlotte Hall? I mean what are the schools like, shopping, crime, family life, etc? I would be totally lost without this board btw .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljdw View Post
Thanks! We actually just started looking at Charlotte Hall as well. I think we will probably have to make a trip up to the area to check it out. I can't really get a lot of information on these areas online besides on here, lol. Leonardtown is definitely out now but what about Charlotte Hall? I mean what are the schools like, shopping, crime, family life, etc? I would be totally lost without this board btw .
I really can't remember what high school Charlotte Hall Feeds into... I know that Charlotte hall is in both Charles, and St. Mary's counties... So my guess is it feeds to both Thomas Stone and Chopticon...

Chopticon isn't a bad school, just very "rural" (a nice way to put it)... I know more than one teacher there and have many friends that went there and they all seem to speak highly of it... Its no Leonardtown though... However, even the worst high school in St. Mary's county is outstanding compared to some other schools in MD, and the USA in general... MD's school system is one of the best...

I would not recommend Thomas Stone...

Shopping would be average, but close enough to Waldorf that it wouldn't be an issue... Crime wouldn't be much of an issue, and family life should be fine...

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the fast response. We definitely do not want to be in a very rural area! That is one of the reasons we don't want to move to King George County where he will be working. I just would like a nice suburb type area which it sounds like La Plata will work for that. Thanks a lot for the information everyone!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Thanks for the fast response. We definitely do not want to be in a very rural area! That is one of the reasons we don't want to move to King George County where he will be working. I just would like a nice suburb type area which it sounds like La Plata will work for that. Thanks a lot for the information everyone!
Good luck with your move...

FYI in Charlotte Hall its not uncommon to get stuck behind an Amish Horse & Buggy...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I really can't remember what high school Charlotte Hall Feeds into... I know that Charlotte hall is in both Charles, and St. Mary's counties... So my guess is it feeds to both Thomas Stone and Chopticon...

Chopticon isn't a bad school, just very "rural" (a nice way to put it)... I know more than one teacher there and have many friends that went there and they all seem to speak highly of it... Its no Leonardtown though... However, even the worst high school in St. Mary's county is outstanding compared to some other schools in MD, and the USA in general... MD's school system is one of the best...

I would not recommend Thomas Stone...

Shopping would be average, but close enough to Waldorf that it wouldn't be an issue... Crime wouldn't be much of an issue, and family life should be fine...
I think the Charlotte Hall community feeds into LaPlata HS and Chopticon HS --- NOT Thomas Stone.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Good luck with your move...

FYI in Charlotte Hall its not uncommon to get stuck behind an Amish Horse & Buggy...
lol! thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Ok so we decided on La Plata and have now waited until the last minute to actually start looking at places since we decided to rent first. I thought it would be easier but it definitely isn't. What I would like to know is what neighborhoods should we avoid?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,965 times
Well congratulations, First off welcome to Maryland. La Plata is a nice area. It's a good thing that you all are renting. I say this because if your husband gets a job in D.C. that commute is going to be hell. I use to commute from Waldorf to Arlington, va. All I could say is wow. This began to really bother me because I would always get home around 6:45-7:00 timeframe. I would literally get home eat and get ready for work the next day. Definitely not a good quality of life if you ask me. So I've moved away from the area. Laplata really is far away. The only thing that Fredericksburg has on laplata is that it has the Train to take you into D.C. so that way you won't have to deal with the traffic. Also homes tend to be cheaper than Laplata. Something to think about. Would be nice for the hubby to come home in a good mood instead of a pissed off one. Anyway welcome to Maryland enjoy your stay.

Also forgot to mention that Waldorf, is not bad. Your from Montgomery, al. Crime was worst there than it is in Waldorf. Not saying that stuff doesn't happen in Waldorf, but I would leave my car doors unlocked all the time with my ipod in the car. Nothing ever happend. Of course I grew up in P.G. where a good year was having under 100 murders. Waldorf usually averages 1-3 a year if that. So don't be scared and clutch your purse.

Quote:
Ok so we decided on La Plata and have now waited until the last minute to actually start looking at places since we decided to rent first. I thought it would be easier but it definitely isn't. What I would like to know is what neighborhoods should we avoid?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 AM

O wow! I thought Waldorf was a lot worse than that from what people have been saying on the boards but I guess that is because the surrounding area is so rural which is not what we want anyway. I just want somewhere in a nice neighborhood convenient to shopping, restaurants, and activities for small children. I also am looking for a preschool for my daughter. We have her on a wait list for the base but I am really trying to only use that as a back up plan. He said that Fredericksburg is too far from work whereas La Plata is only 19 miles away. He is trying to keep the commute to under 30 minutes-without traffic. So I guess I could like in safe areas of Waldorf as well? What is considered the safest areas there and also in La Plata? I know there are bad neighborhoods everywhere and we are trying to avoid these.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
IF YOU'RE SURE that your husband is always going to be working at Dahlgren (and not in Washington), then I would live in LaPlata and not Waldorf. LaPlata has 2 department stores, 3 supermarkets, a Lowe's, a community College with cultural activities/ shows, a large playground (Laurel Springs), a hospital, a variety of different housing types, and churches of all kinds. LaPlata's public schools are slightly better than Waldorf's schools. You can still drive 10-15 minutes from LaPlata to the bigger city of Waldorf to find any services/businesses not available in LaPlata.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland