Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM

13 posts, read 69,250 times

Advertisements

I am moving to maryland and not knowing what areas/cities would be safe and affordable,,no kids so schools are not an issue,,looking for any info would be great,,thanks in advance, 2 adults ,,prefer to buy but if have to rent at first will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 46,136 times
OK...I know you don't have kids, but if you are PCSing to Andrews, you really REALLY need to try to get base housing. The area right outside of the gate is horrible and the commute from most other places is really bad. Andrews is right outside of DC and I swear...no matter what time of day or night it is, 495 is always backed up with traffic. Unless you don't mind a nightmare commute, I would seriously try to stay on base. I am from Baltimore so I don't really know the area south of Andrews, but I wouldn't go north. Good luck on your move. Andrews is a great base and it is close to DC and Baltimore so there is always something to do. Hopefully somebody else can let you in on some good areas to move to.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
just to let you know that pg county is the 2nd wealthiest county in Maryland. Pg county is right behind Montgomery county. As a matter of fact pg county is the wealthiest majority minority in the entire country. so when people saying other county if pg is the 2nd wealthiest county and some people say donot live there live in another county image the problems they have. Try Bowie which is very nice you will 100% love the area. Fort washington,Upper Marlboro,Mitchellville,Clinton,brandywine,Accrokee are very nice and you will love any of these areas in Pg county. In these areas you will find middle to upperto rich class.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 AM

11 posts, read 46,474 times
I agree with Iscalder as far as some good areas. I live around Andrews and find it to be relatively what you requested. A lot of military stay in my area, as do police officers, teachers, I.T., Govmt. (Fed.,St. & local) and other desireable hard working folks.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 57,887 times
Calvert County, as in the Huntingtown area is 35 minutes from AAFB. My husband made that commute. Not bad!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 12,769 times
Just like SuzP, Calvert County. I live there now (Dunkirk) and takes anywhere from 25 to 40minutes. It's a simple straight shot on Route 4 and onto Suitland Parkway, very easy to access and traffic usually isn't bad as Calvert County isn't really well known. The county is pretty well populated with military and federal employees. Not to bad of a place to check out.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
You could also look into Anne Arundel County area...such as Davidsonville and Edgewater, you can take the backroads right into Andrews Airforce and never have to get onto 495.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 AM

5 posts, read 25,305 times
Default Commuting to Andrews

There are quite a few options. We have friends who commute to Andrews and they live in three different counties--Charles (Waldorf La Plata), Calvert (Dunkirk, Lusby, Huntingntown), Prince Georges (Clinton, Upper Marlboro)

I think there are factors that would determine where you went, such as, proximity to the water, wide open spaces or closer city living, etc.

My friends that live in Calvert like the lack of traffic and more space. Waldorf has lots of everything but the traffic is bad and 301 -- the main road through town and to Waldorf -- is always busy and Waldorf continues to grow.

I live in Waldorf but I would live in Calvert county if I had to do this again.

Richard

Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 AM

119 posts, read 610,540 times
I agree with NJ, Anne Arundel would be perfect for steering clear of the beltway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland