U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 31,779 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I plan on moving to Maryland late July and have been looking at a good number of apartments in Silver Spring. I'm not too familiar with the area and was wondering if anyone can give me a general break down of Silver Spring as far as its safety, living conditions, and demographics. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM

198 posts, read 896,134 times
Silver Spring is a very large area within Montgomery Co. and extremely diverse. It's hard to describe it in a nutshell or tell you where to look in a quick sentence. I suggest posting your price range, your housing requirements, and what type of environment you want to live in (e.g. urban, suburban, etc.), and people can give you suggestions for areas to look.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,116,120 times
What I can tell you about Silver Spring no matter where you rent it willbe expensive. The closer you are to Downdown Silver Spring which just got renovated the cost increase.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:14 PM

22 posts, read 103,399 times
Default And also visit...

Apartmentratings.com . While looking to rent this was a life saver...it gives tenant feed back on apartment communities. You have to weed out the disgruntled tenants; but overall I think it helps you with your considerations...especially if you haven't moved to the area yet.

good luck

Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM

25 posts, read 113,208 times
There are certain parts of Silver Spring that I just do not care for. Parts of Veirs Mill and Randolph Rd give me the creeps. I've heard its the place to be right now because its up and coming with all the renovating going on.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:07 PM

33 posts, read 196,149 times
I think where you want to live will depend on what lifestyle you have (family or single; student or working; buying or single; etc). Also, Silver Spring is huge and is best discussed in terms of neighborhoods. Takoma Park is next door to SS and has a pretty thorough mix of lifestyles.

Most of the new development of Downtown Silver Spring, while nice, is sort of bland. It's mostly chain restaurants and stores (another Panera Bread, Starbucks, Ann Taylor Loft) with a scant smattering of home-grown businesses. Most of the home-grown type (Mayorga Coffee House, Mio Rancho, Jackie's, Piratz) are a few blocks away from the new development, but some are folding due to increasing property values.

Easy access from SS to downtown DC via buses and Metro. Other sources for exploring housing costs are the Washington City Paper online and Craigslist.

Parts of SS have a heavy influx of new immigrants; parts have older, long established communities. The whole of SS is very diverse -- includes Arabs, Jews, Africans, Indians, Pakistanis, Latin Americans from numerous countries, African Americans and Caucasians.

If looking to buy condo or rent, google condo market in DC area. DC suddenly has a glut of condo stock.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:42 PM

18 posts, read 96,709 times
If you are looking at safety, I would never live in Silver Spring. It's crime infested.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 31,370 times
I've lived in Silver Spring for four years (just off of Georgia Ave. near the beltway) and I love it. I'm your generic yuppie and although there are a few rough areas, Silver Spring is perfectly safe and not scary at all. My kids go to school here and our neighbors are good friends. Areas around Historic Kensington or in the downtown Silver Spring area are my favorites. Wheaton area is not the best so be careful..Wander around, you may like it!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 PM

884 posts, read 2,547,866 times
le19555- What area in this merto region does NOT have a fair amount of crime? Even NOVA had a rash of purse snatchings and car break-ins. I currently live in a large apartment complex that is patrolled and I still am aware of my surroundings and keep my car doors locked. So far so good.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM

222 posts, read 1,022,420 times
I grew up in Silver Spring and would highly recommend it. It is a huge area, so you will need to be specific about why you are moving there and what you are looking for. SS has no more crime than many other DC suburbs that are close in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland