U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Matt and I am a Maryland lifer (HoCo, UMCP, MoCo). This is my first post on this forum.

Here is my situation:

My grandmother owns a beautiful cape code in Silver Spring free and clear. My grandfather passed away last year and she has begun looking into retirement communities and transitioned living. She has 3 children and 4 grandchildren. I do not have a complete picture of her other assets, but I am sure the house equity accounts for a major part of her estate. I have expressed my intent to one day own her and have given her a timeframe of 3 to 5 years.

Here is my question:

What would be the best approach for purchasing the home from her? I have done some reading about living trusts, owner financing and quit claim, so I have a basic understanding of some options. I am hoping to minimize taxes if possible and would like to avoid traditional mortgages . I know most of my options will come down to what she is comfortable with, but I would like to educate myself as much as possible before I begin in depth discussions with her and the rest of the family. I would appreciate any advice, experience with your own family, or referrals and local resources.

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 AM

407 posts, read 1,186,482 times
You would need a lawyer to look into this for a living trust. Choose an attorney that she is comfortable with. If you want to purchase the home from her you will need a real estate attorney, plus down payment, plus closing costs, plus a lender to finance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland