Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 105,241 times

Advertisements

Who lives in Bowie? What is the commute to DC? What are the best commute strategies into DC? How is the community transforming (getting better or worse?) What activities do you know of for children/families? What do you think about the schools? Is the government responsive? What are the best areas to buy?

Now the background: Sad to hear so much bad talk about PG County. The crime is really concentrated in certain areas so it’s not that fair to categorize the entire county. Its not just blacks it’s the poor and disenfranchised: they come in many colors. I moved here from the Midwest working in DC. Couldn’t afford to purchase in DC so I moved to a rental property in St. Mary’s County> the commute was horrible; especially as a single parent. (got on the bus @ 7:30 arrived at work at 9a. Left work@ 4:30 picked up my daughter at 6:15p…need I say more?) - (BTW, if you like laid back, low crime and a lot of space...you can definitely get that...but be prepared to drive to waldorf for amenities i.e. the mall)

After giving up hope for DC. I also looked in Waldorf, but couldn’t afford the areas that were move-in ready. The other areas @ 250-270K were high rental areas and poorly kept townhomes. Looked into ft. Washington but kept finding ‘affordable’ homes that were actually Oxon Hill. I was really wondering if I had to trade safety for a lower commute until, I ran across Bowie. Statistically sound; The crime was low; the schools seem good. But I don’t really know that many people that live there. However, I am stepping out on faith and moving there in July. I am only renting because I really wanted to get in and get settled before the new school year. And those who own, know how the process could drag on so I didn't want to have to move my baby mid school year OR end up enduring another year of commute hell. Now, I can prepare to buy next year after I’ve investigated the area a little more thoroughly and when my budget is a little higher… Responses are welcomed!! I want the good the bad and the ugly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,298,347 times
Every where in Bowie is nice. Bowie is the most affulent area in Pg county. Its the most develope area in pg county. Its very nice. You will love Bowie. In the next 2yrs you will see a big change in pg county especailly once the Harbor is finish and the Home land security and other government offices move to pg. I tell people if you are going to buy in pg county buy now or you might not be able to pay in the next 2-3 yrs.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:40 AM

109 posts, read 617,854 times
I have a friend who is in the military and has travelled extensively. He lived in Laurel when he was in this area. He said he had never lived anywhere where an entire county of almost 900,000 people spread out over 500 square miles gets a bad rep for the relatively few square miles where 80% of the crime occurs. I have to really dig for a lot of the good news that I get and that's why I like to share it.

Anyway, Bowie. I live in Upper Marlboro, but I had a co-worker who lived at Archstone Governor's Green apartments in Bowie and really liked it. It is close to the Bowie Town Center. The town center has the typical big box stores (Best Buy, Target), department stores (Macy's, Sears), and a ton of chain restaurants like Smokey Bones, On The Border, Carrabba's. Much like what you would find in Waldorf. And Annapolis Mall is close, maybe 10 minutes away. Most of the people I know in Upper Marlboro shop in Bowie, Annapolis Mall, or Pentagon City/Market Common in Arlington. You will be close to Baltimore, Annapolis, and downtown DC. I think most people commute to DC via Rt. 50. There are really no good commutes except non-peak hours, but better than coming in from St. Mary's.

Bowie has it's own city council and police department. Crime is well below the national average and I don't think it's in any danger of becoming a bad area. I have not volunteered in any Bowie schools and don't know any families with children there, so I cannot really help, but you would be coming at a good time. The new superintendent is very impressive. High marks for schools head - baltimoresun.com

I don't know what's available in terms of housing for around $270K. It might be tough, but Iscalder would know better than I. And Bowie is serviced by BGE so take that into consideration. Good luck, I hope everything works out.

Last edited by maat; 06-04-2007 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Default So what do you think about...

Like Capital Heights? Do you see that area being developed?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. Bowie seems a little too good to be true after all of my searching. The commute I 'HEAR' can take atleast 40min (I heard rte 50 is a beast!), but again I don't know anyone who can confirm that.

Next year I'll be able to look in atleast the 300K market for homes (I've accepted that my first home will likely be a townhome). My promotion goes through July 1; but I was kind of impatient for the reasons listed above. And so when i ran across this rental; it was a real deal so I went with it. I'm hoping that the declining housing market can support me buying a better house for 300K....we'll see though. And thanks for the luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM

Yes Capitol Heights,oxon Hill and surronding areas are been develope.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM

144 posts, read 630,752 times
First of all I want to commend you for your remarks about crime and how PG County gets based as a whole. There are many areas in PG that are safe places that you can feel comfortable living in. Some of the comments are obviously racially biased in painting the entire county in such a manner. I currently reside in the Mitchellville area which borders Bowie and have not had any problems.

I used to reside in Bowie. It is a pretty safe community. I use route 50 during my commute to work into DC. It takes me about 35 minutes from Mitchellville. It actually better than the Beltway as my former office was in Bethesda.

There are efforts to revitalize areas where crime is an issue in the county. One of your better efforts in the revitalization of these communities in my opinion is having people own their own home. Those who own there own home whether it cost $150,000 or $900,000 will have a sense of belonging and be concerned about the value of their investment. This is one example that is happening-http://www.goprincegeorgescounty.com/Newsroom/PressReleases/PressReleases/news_article13044.asp?h=80n=0

Revitalization efforts are under way in Capital Heights however I would not recommend that area just yet.http://goprincegeorgescounty.com/Newsroom/PressReleases/PressReleases/news_article13044.asp?h=80n+0 (broken link)

Last edited by RFMD; 06-04-2007 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM

your second link doesnot work

Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 PM

144 posts, read 630,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
your second link doesnot work
I 'am obviously not an IT guy. I tried copying and pasting the link as Maat informed me of and it did not work. Maat what is it that I 'am doing wrong?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 AM

109 posts, read 617,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
I 'am obviously not an IT guy. I tried copying and pasting the link as Maat informed me of and it did not work. Maat what is it that I 'am doing wrong?
Some web servers, PGC server being one of them, will not recognize a URL that does not contain "www." You had it in the first link, but not the second.

Executive PressReleases (http://www.goprincegeorgescounty.com/Newsroom/PressReleases/PressReleases/news_article13044.asp?h=80n+0 - broken link)

I agree with you about Capitol Heights. If Capitol Heights was in DC it would be hyped as a hip transitional neighborhood for young singles or couples without children. I also agree that creating new homewners is key and the county is putting a lot of effort into that. Getting as many people as possible out of the gazillion garden apartments that are just outside the DC line and into the affordable housing that surrounds them. The project in Suitland is scheduled to start later this month. I think I'll be there to watch the bulldozers take down that first building at the Suitland Manor apartments. About 50 families who lived at Suitland Manor became first time homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland