Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM

41 posts, read 144,891 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend me a good shop that can help me replace a new harddisk in my laptop? I have got the new harddisk but i dont have experience to replace it in my laptop. Hence looking for a good person or a small company that can help me do that.

I am looking for someone in germantown, gaithersburg areas in maryland. Please let me know.

tia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 PM

205 posts, read 824,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopdix View Post
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend me a good shop that can help me replace a new harddisk in my laptop? I have got the new harddisk but i dont have experience to replace it in my laptop. Hence looking for a good person or a small company that can help me do that.

I am looking for someone in germantown, gaithersburg areas in maryland. Please let me know.

tia!
What is the make and model of your computer? Normally you can find a service manual which has this information in it. Not all computers come with this manual in the box.

I don't think you realize how easily the hard drive can be replaced or upgraded. Many computers have trays that slide out after removing a screw or two. Then you just remove an additional mounting screw or two, remove the old drive, and then reverse the process to install the new HDD. Some computers are even easier than that. One of mine has a panel you remove and then easy tabs to pull the drives right out for replacement. A small screwdriver and 5 minutes is all you need to do this yourself. You may also find good video demonstrations on YouTube. Unfortunately, one of my other systems makes you take off the entire bottom case, but that's normally only an issue on netbook or ultra-portable systems.

The big problem after you're done the physical drive swap is to reinstall Windows/Linux, get all the right drivers in place, and transfer any data. That's the most time consuming part of all this. I can't really give you any advice on places to take your system if you don't want to do it yourself. However, I would try to find a tech friend or relative first rather than racing out to a Geek Squad or some other business. Perhaps you can find a tech person here too that lives nearby.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:38 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
You will lose a arm and a leg having someone else do...looking for 300 bucks easy at geek squad...

otherwise I would recommend doing it yourself...it is a very easy process once you learn what your doing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland