Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 186,291 times

Advertisements

I wonder if all these people who are so disturbed by the presense of immigrants would like to clean my office at night or do the landscaping in my community. Yes, I would prefer that people follow immigration law. But I won't participate in demonizing those who don't. How many of us are the children of immigrants? Nearly all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigPlantWeed View Post
I wonder if all these people who are so disturbed by the presense of immigrants would like to clean my office at night or do the landscaping in my community. Yes, I would prefer that people follow immigration law. But I won't participate in demonizing those who don't. How many of us are the children of immigrants? Nearly all of us.
I am so tired of the argument that there are jobs that Americans just won't do, so we "need" the illegals to do them. I moved away from the Metro DC area 2.5 years ago to a more rural area of PA, and guess what? The fast food workers are American and speak English. The cashiers at the mall speak English. The landscapers who work on my neighbors lawns...you guessed it. I stayed in a hotel in Ohio a couple weeks ago...all the maids spoke English. Notice I didn't say they were all white, either.

There will always be people who won't do certain jobs...I worked fast food in high school, but some of my friends refused and got jobs at the mall instead. My aunt was pretty stuck up until her husband left her, and what job did she get? A hotel maid, and then later working for Merry Maids. The woman loves to clean and it was a way to support herself and her 3 kids.

I am the descendant of immigrants...ones who faced hardships and came to this country and were proud to be Americans and assimilate to this country.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigPlantWeed View Post
Children of immigrants? Not I. My ancestors came here between 1750 and 1847. I suspect your "nearly all of us" is a bit of a whopper.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,736 times

About 5-6 years ago we got knocked out financially. I was cleaning people's houses to make ends meet-basically whatever it took. My sister is one that is mentally slow (not tested but no other explanation) she would work fast-food or hotel cleaning in a heartbeat. There are many, many legal citizens that had those jobs in the past and would work them now, especially with unemployment being as high as it is. My teenage son couldn't even find a 1st burger flipping job b/c all the restaurants seem to prefer non-english speaking workers these days. --Especially in Maryland.

Oh-my yard care is done by a teacher! nice guy-he looks white to me.

I'm not the child or even the great-grandchild of immigrants. My great-great grands were slaves (don't know what boat you wanna put that in).

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Children of immigrants? Not I. My ancestors came here between 1750 and 1847. I suspect your "nearly all of us" is a bit of a whopper.
I think the reference was that most of us are not descended from American Indians, but other people who immigrated here, no matter what year. I am not first generation American born, but I am still a descendant of my Irish, German and French ancestors. No argument here, just my impression on what was meant by children of immigrants.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I think the reference was that most of us are not descended from American Indians, but other people who immigrated here, no matter what year. I am not first generation American born, but I am still a descendant of my Irish, German and French ancestors. No argument here, just my impression on what was meant by children of immigrants.
That describes every human being on the planet. Even the American Indians migrated over from Asia. Depending on what theory you find most plausible, all humans originated from either Africa or Asia.

And I fail to see the relevance of it. I do not see any causal connection between my ancestors coming from Ireland back in 1847 and advocating a philosophy of completely ignoring the law in 2010.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

207 posts, read 548,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Why cave into the pressure by moving instead of making it a political point to vote against the County Politicians that continue to support Illegal Immigration???????
Your politicians are guilty of aiding and abetting felons IAW Title 8 U.S.C. §§1373 and 8 U.S.C. 1644. . Many 'talking heads et al' make reference to Federal Law... w/o stating what those 'laws' are. I suspect they don't really 'know'.

Title 8 U.S.C. § 1325 : US Code - Section 1325: Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection;
misrepresentation and concealment of facts
Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States
at any time or place other than as designated by immigration
officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration
officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United
States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the
willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first
commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or
imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent
commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or
imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(b) Improper time or place; civil penalties
Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to
enter) the United States at a time or place other than as
designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil
penalty of -
(1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or
attempted entry); or
(2) twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of
an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under
this subsection.
Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not
in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be
imposed.
(c) Marriage fraud
Any individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the
purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be
imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than
$250,000, or both.
(d) Immigration-related entrepreneurship fraud
Any individual who knowingly establishes a commercial enterprise
for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws
shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined in accordance
with title 18, or both.

As for all the snarky remarks about 'Papers Please...": If anyone (from anywhere) enters the US (18 years of age or older) they MUST carry a Consuler Visa at the very least. Or... a passport... or a INS Green Card. It's not a suggestion it's Title 8 USC §§ 1304.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Default Enforceable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
If anyone (from anywhere) enters the US (18 years of age or older) they MUST carry a Consuler Visa at the very least. Or... a passport... or a INS Green Card. It's not a suggestion it's Title 8 USC §§ 1304.

How do you tell who has just "entered" the United States? Proficiency in our official language (the United States doesn't have one)? Quality of clothes? Living in a particular neighborhood?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM

207 posts, read 548,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
How do you tell who has just "entered" the United States? Proficiency in our official language (the United States doesn't have one)? Quality of clothes? Living in a particular neighborhood?
If legally... they will bear proper documentation. Don't get 'trite'... or academic. I see the illegals shortly after they cross the wire nearly every day. They won't have a drivers license, insurance or registration... with a verifiable address. They may have bogus SSN's. They do tend to share drop houses and no... they may not speak English. They may not speak Spanish either... as they're not all Latino. Verification and apprehension (SB 1070 style) are effected pursuant to some other lawful encounter. 'Course that may not be worth much in Montgomery or P.G. Counties as the LEA's and the MSP there engage in jack boot thuggary on a regular basis no matter who you are.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Default I think not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I was utilizing slang to make a humorous point. If you displeases you, refrain from participating in this thread.

Oh I'm sure you were. It is a free country, I will participate at my leisure. If you don't like criticisms of your failure at humor and thinly veiled racism, I suggest you not participate. On that note, I feel it is a little bit disingenuous on your part to attack the semantics of “children of immigrants”. I think what the poster is alluding to is that as a sovereign nation, the United States has allowed in “legal” immigrants (such as your Irish forebears) and signed treaties with other sovereign nations such as Great Britain, Spain, Mexico and many Native Americans. The United States then violated many of these treaties by allowing its “legal immigrants” and their citizen children to settle on the sovereign territory of other countries. These Americans were, in effect, illegal immigrants. Then the United States either declared war or squatted on these territories claiming an interest in protecting its citizens.

This is a process called “filibustering” and the United States did it Florida, Mexico, Canada, and Colombia. The United States was forced to pay restitution to these countries in each case, (although the United States never paid Spain the money for Florida) because this is a violation of international law. It also got Washington D.C. burned to the ground in the War of 1812. The criticism against Republican racism is, despite the disparaging remarks against “illegal immigrants” and their impact on culture and economics, they have done very little to curtail illegal immigration. If American private interests would stop hiring illegal labor and using Latin American narcotics then “illegals” from the south would certainly stop coming to the United States. If the United States didn’t want Mexicans in Arizona then it shouldn’t have signed the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo nor made the Gadsden Purchase.
Please feel free to read this article about how much more the Obama Administration has done to deport illegal immigrants that Bush did in his second term. Republicans and their supporters holding up racist signs on street corners isn’t a very effective immigration policy. I think what the posters you are criticizing are saying is that American immigration policy for most of its history certainly did not consider the sovereignty of other countries and these policies were based almost exclusively on race (Chinese Exclusion Act, anyone?). So any Arizonian anti-illegal immigration law based on racial profiling rather than attacking the businesses that hire illegals is bound to be either ineffective or draconian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland