Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state outside Washington, D.C. is considered as the best place to live?
Maryland 8 72.73%
Virginia 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM

46 posts, read 154,373 times

Advertisements

Takoma Park near Gallaudet University and Annapolis & Odenton (both with 45 minutes commute to D.C. with rush hour) doesn't sound too bad compared to 1-2 hours with rush hour if you live in areas such as Gaithersburg and Rockville. I like many communities in southern Montgomery County but it's ridiculously expensive!

I am astonished to see how diverse D.C. Metro and Maryland in general are in most parts. Coming from small southern town in Mississippi and currently living in Madison, WI with lack of diversity, I feel little awkward about diversity in D.C. It will be cultural shock for me, for sure. I don't think this is the case everywhere but I am curious to know how it is for D.C. Metro.

Could diversity have alot to do with crime rate in D.C. and its declining public schools or is it just the consequence of white flight like most American cities?

How safe is Takoma Park? It's practically next to Prince George's County and its demographics are 48% White, 34% Black, almost 5% Asian, and almost 15% Hispanic with 10.3% of population under poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
Takoma Park near Gallaudet University and Annapolis & Odenton (both with 45 minutes commute to D.C. with rush hour) doesn't sound too bad compared to 1-2 hours with rush hour if you live in areas such as Gaithersburg and Rockville. I like many communities in southern Montgomery County but it's ridiculously expensive!

I am astonished to see how diverse D.C. Metro and Maryland in general are in most parts. Coming from small southern town in Mississippi and currently living in Madison, WI with lack of diversity, I feel little awkward about diversity in D.C. It will be cultural shock for me, for sure. I don't think this is the case everywhere but I am curious to know how it is for D.C. Metro.

Could diversity have alot to do with crime rate in D.C. and its declining public schools or is it just the consequence of white flight like most American cities?

How safe is Takoma Park? It's practically next to Prince George's County and its demographics are 48% White, 34% Black, almost 5% Asian, and almost 15% Hispanic with 10.3% of population under poverty.
Isn't "diversity" the result of "white flight"? If they hadn't left then there would be less "diversity".

From what you just posted, I don't think you will like Takoma Park. Anywhere near any Metro station will generally be more diverse than you are used to.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 AM

14 posts, read 105,777 times
I'm also thinking about moving to Annapolis. I've looked in Virginia and like the others say, unless you're right next to a metro or the VRE, it's just not worth it. Traffic is horrendous, even on the weekends.

It would help to know what price range you're looking for, and what your work hours are at Gallaudet. I'm a big fan of public transportation so if I were to move to Annapolis I would drive to New Carrolton and take the metro from there. Traffic seems to be at it's worst when you get close to the beltway on 50 and then when you get into DC on New York Ave. So if you were to take the metro or Marc from new carrollton, you could easily get into DC in less than an hour. Given how far Annapolis is, that's a pretty good commute time.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 PM

After reading several posts, I have narrowed my list down to few surburbs.

First, I want to thank for the suggestion to check out surburbs in Virginia but I am not interested.

Anyway, I think I would like to live no farther north than Rockville down to Montgomery County/D.C. line and anywhere west of PG County except for Takoma Park and Silver Springs.

I am also considering Crofton since it's closer to D.C. than Annapolis is but not too far from the water for recreational opportunities.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,420 times
Did you try elkton? the kensington courts is nice, bit pricey and seems like an army base in N.carolina, ck it out

Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM

Thanks for your suggestions for other MD cities to consider!

What do you think about College Park, Maryland?

Is it a big no unless it's near UMD campus like most people on City Data Forum commented?

I did my research on College Park. Although it's in Prince George's County, it's fairly safe compared to the rest of the county.

I also found a nice, affordable apartment home complex called Wyndfield Park or something similiar for its name. I believe it's near the Capital Beltway on Baltimore Ave. Does anybody know about the complex or the area it is located at? Is it safe?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 AM

College Park is fine. I used to live in CP and in Beltsville, so I know that area well. Those apartments are fine. They are separated from the rest of CP by the Beltway.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,052 times
is the commute from annapolis to rockville in winter avg 45 min. or is it more like 1-2 hours?
i've got to make decision quickly. please help.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 AM

I'd say 1-2 hours.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,782 times
My question I have for you is what are you looking for. Are you a city type of person or a suburban type? Reason I'm asking is that your asking about a lot of urban areas. Now let me tell you a little something, be open to friends with everybody. Northern P.G. Montgomery county are very diverse. Plenty of Africans, Hispanics, West Indies, and so much more, the thing about it is a lot of people are pretty civilized. Just have an open mind and be ready to interact with the general public. We won't bit you.

Now that I got that out the way, P.G. is the cheapest locations closet to Galludet. I would suggest City of Hyattsville, Beltsville, Greenbelt, Lanham, Glenn Dale areas. These areas with the exception of Beltsville are pretty close to metro stations. Also If you choose to drive It would be easy to hope on 295 and take Benning Road to Bladensburg Road and hook a left onto West Virginia Ave. and finally hook a right on Florida Ave. New York avenue in reality would be the quickest way, but often times it's jam packed so just think about he alternate route I gave you. Takoma Park and Silver Spring are also great locations as well. I'm all for cutting down time on the road. In my personal opinion Annapolis, Odenton, Crofton are just way too far to commute into DC. People do it all the time, but I bet if you were to ask those same people if they like a closer commute they would say yes in a heartbeat.

P.S. side note. Come out here and explore the areas mentioned. Columbia Heights and Some locations off of Georgia and Florida Avenues wouldn't be so bad, but you also have to use common sense around these areas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions for other MD cities to consider!

What do you think about College Park, Maryland?

Is it a big no unless it's near UMD campus like most people on City Data Forum commented?

I did my research on College Park. Although it's in Prince George's County, it's fairly safe compared to the rest of the county.

I also found a nice, affordable apartment home complex called Wyndfield Park or something similiar for its name. I believe it's near the Capital Beltway on Baltimore Ave. Does anybody know about the complex or the area it is located at? Is it safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland