Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times

Advertisements

I don't know about this one. I know people want to keep this place nice, and the safety record at the Boulevard down the road hasn't exactly been impressive. But this guy may have actually just been shopping. And it sounds like his dreads got him in trouble.

Landover man files suit against Woodmore Towne Centre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Damn [SIZE=2]I can see it all play out he'll win though....I've been seeing more and more ppl being pulled over lately too....I hope this new police chief doesnt start acting brand new with the established residents....this isnt columbia, md
[/SIZE]

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Totally, totally ridiculous. I've told people that racial profiling has nothing to do with the race of the police officer. Black police officers look for 'suspicious' blacks as well. If I was this guy, I wouldn't say one word to the police, just go on and sue them. They deserve it.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Totally, totally ridiculous. I've told people that racial profiling has nothing to do with the race of the police officer. Black police officers look for 'suspicious' blacks as well. If I was this guy, I wouldn't say one word to the police, just go on and sue them. They deserve it.
I agree. I remember once being questioned years ago at the airport in LA soon after my arrival. I was told that at first I had a bag walking around and then I didn't. Well, I had gone to call my late ride (this was back in the early 90s before I had a cell phone), and my suitcase was heavy. I kept it in my eyesight. The agent who questioned me was black. Nothing came of the questioning. I was amazed (nicely dressed black female questioned like I was a drug runner). My black coworkers were not. They weren't that sympathetic either. One said it was the way I was dressed. In a nice pants and blazer and nice, conseravative hairdo? I don't think so. I've never been questioned before or since.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Yep, Lancaster (the young man) is going about it the right way. It's sad I hope he wins something. He went into two stores and didn't buy anything? WTH? I hope his lawyer handles it well.

But sadly sometimes citizens who sit on juries don't punish police departments with punitive awards. I remember a case of PG county police who roughed up a channel 7 TV reporter and her camera crew. Dislocated her arm or shoulder, etc. The TV crew was in a car following a police official for a story. The official was allegedly supposed to be on duty and was allegedly 'stepping out to where he shouldn't have been.) The PD wanted the tape, etc. The case went to court and the reporter got next to no jury award. Also FIVE cruisers were at the incident and NO car's dashboard camera 'happened to be working that day.' Come on.

I know when PD's are hit with damage awards we the tax payers end up paying it (or insurance companies). But police departments or private security firms MUST BE PUNISHED for abuse. I hope this young man wins BIG! I hope this case continues to be followed. I'd LOVE to know how it turns out.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
I take a different view. I'm glad the police are being proactive.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:32 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Quote:
"Proactive" that's a nice buzz word. Here's another "vigilant." No one is saying authorities shouldn't be both. Are you saying this officer did nothing wrong?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Proactive is nice, but abusive and without probable cause is a lawsuit. It doesn't benefit anyone when the police acts immorally. If someone is not doing anything wrong, they do not deserve that sort of treatment. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if you were about to get handcuffed in front of a crowd full of people WSWB (window shopping while black).

Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Did the cop really use "he went into a couple stores and didn't buy anything" as an excuse? That's laughable.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It really sounds like this incident is well beyond proactive. Also, wouldn't it be nice if police were actually proactive in the areas where crime is high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland