Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,302 times

Advertisements

Help! Moving to MD and considering buying a home Aspen Hill/Wheaton/Layhill area of Silver Spring. Don't know Maryland well. Anyone know the elementary schools in this area. Need advice on safety, quality of schools, demographics, gifted programs and good honest feedback. (i.e Glenallen or Stonegate elementary or others). Education is very important to us and this will be a deciding factor on whether to move to this area. Your help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Have you compared the test scores with other elementaries in Mont. Co?

We lived there briefly (but, admittedly, it was 20 years ago). Ours went to Barnsley for one year; spent the next 11 in private schools. If education is important to you, you may want to look at other parts of the County, ie., further out Georgia Avenue in Olney, west to Bethesda, Darnestown. I realize houses are expensive in certain parts of the County but that's directly corrolated to the schools' test scores.

Montgomery County has some excellent schools but choose districts carefully. Best of luck.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,144 times
Default Schools in Aspen Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjgandhi View Post
Help! Moving to MD and considering buying a home Aspen Hill/Wheaton/Layhill area of Silver Spring. Don't know Maryland well. Anyone know the elementary schools in this area. Need advice on safety, quality of schools, demographics, gifted programs and good honest feedback. (i.e Glenallen or Stonegate elementary or others). Education is very important to us and this will be a deciding factor on whether to move to this area. Your help is appreciated.
I have lived in Aspen Hill since 1965. My sense of the place is that there are no bad schools at all, and that all are at least very good, although some may have programs you children will want more than others, magnet programs for science and such. The real test of how good an education your children get here will depend upon whom they choose as friends, and how much you encourage and cheer them on at home. Fortunately, we have a fine store of interesting friends for them to choose from. The neighborhood has a rich mix of cultures, because people from all over the world have come here. My children found it enriching. I expect yours will too.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM

150 posts, read 595,856 times
There are two High school clusters that serve Aspen Hill. The Rockville High School Cluster and Parkland Middle School/Downcounty Consortium (DCC).

The DCC is 5 high schools, that a rising 9th grader could choose from, each having it's own academic specialties. In Aspen Hill, a child would end up at Parkland Middle School and go from there.

The boundary Squiggles through Aspen Hill. It's kind of complicated if you move to the DCC, but you children will have 5 high schools to choose from....http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/downcounty/

Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,398 times
The schools there are no good, the DCC is not best school cluster, only Blair is quite good and advanced, but almost everyone in the DCC tries to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland