Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,645 times

Advertisements

First of all let me say that I found this site a couple of days ago and I've really enjoyed it. Great job to everyone involved.

Alright so I've got a new job in Rockville MD and I need some advice on good areas to live. My budget is around $1,000 a month. I don't want my commute to be more than 30-40 min time but if I could ride the red line that would be awesome, since my job is located a few blocks from the Rockville station.

What I'm looking for is a one bedroom (or maybe studio, if that's all I can afford) in a area with plenty of bars/restaurants. I'm a male in my early 20's that would like to be within walking distance of some nightlife activities. Since I'm moving by myself I would like to be around other people my age.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 34,697 times
I would try looking for a shared space or a studio. I would try Washington Center (near Rio Center with some nightlife) or search in Germantown. Netiher are going to be directly of the metro but the prices are going to be better. Apartments in Rockville Town Square (for a 1 bedroom) run about $2000.
In the outlying areas (Germantown or Gaithersburg) one bedrooms can start at $1150. Best of luck and welcome to Rockville!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM

24 posts, read 95,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbitry View Post
First of all let me say that I found this site a couple of days ago and I've really enjoyed it. Great job to everyone involved.

Alright so I've got a new job in Rockville MD and I need some advice on good areas to live. My budget is around $1,000 a month. I don't want my commute to be more than 30-40 min time but if I could ride the red line that would be awesome, since my job is located a few blocks from the Rockville station.

What I'm looking for is a one bedroom (or maybe studio, if that's all I can afford) in a area with plenty of bars/restaurants. I'm a male in my early 20's that would like to be within walking distance of some nightlife activities. Since I'm moving by myself I would like to be around other people my age.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hey Nesbitry. I'm in the same situation as you are. Got a job in Gaithersburg. Mid 20s. I want to take the red line to work and keep my rent to $1000. I would like to live in Rockville but it's maybe too family oriented?
Rents in Rockville seem high and there's only 1 really small downtown area.
Gah! I dunno what to do!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Why not Silver Spring? Red Line Metro to Rockville and Silver Spring is overbuilt with residential right now, so many condos were built and most are for rent right now. I know a guy living in a new highrise for about 1000 a month and Silver Spring seems a bit more dense and active than Rockville. Although it's a bit more gritty in areas, it seems like a relatively solid and safe area with some nice new redevelopment projects mixed in with normal gentrification. Little closer to DC too.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,645 times
Thanks for advice everyone. I've been looking into the Silver Spring area and I was wondering if the area around Aspen Hill was good. One concern I have is how safe the area is, it doesn't have to be perfect (with my budget I just can't afford that) but I should be able to walk safely at night. What does everyone think?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM

24 posts, read 95,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why not Silver Spring? Red Line Metro to Rockville and Silver Spring is overbuilt with residential right now, so many condos were built and most are for rent right now. I know a guy living in a new highrise for about 1000 a month and Silver Spring seems a bit more dense and active than Rockville. Although it's a bit more gritty in areas, it seems like a relatively solid and safe area with some nice new redevelopment projects mixed in with normal gentrification. Little closer to DC too.

Silver Spring seems like a long metro ride to Rockville or Shady Grove. Would be cheaper to drive? How would that commute be?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellian View Post
Silver Spring seems like a long metro ride to Rockville or Shady Grove. Would be cheaper to drive? How would that commute be?
Crud, I forgot about the Red Line going downtown between SS and Rockville, yea, that's like an hour on the metro. It would be a pretty easy drive though, going against most of the traffic.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Crud, I forgot about the Red Line going downtown between SS and Rockville, yea, that's like an hour on the metro. It would be a pretty easy drive though, going against most of the traffic.
The Metrobus Q4 route (or a couple other Q series buses, but Q4 would be the main one) would also be a transit option between downtown Silver Spring and Rockville, and one that would be much cheaper and not really any slower than the Red Line. You'd have lots of company (mostly Latinos if that matters) on the bus though.

I don't consider Aspen Hill a walkable area. Though it is a little marginal safety-wise, Wheaton would be a better choice if downtown Silver Spring is beyond your budget. Wheaton doesn't have a great downtown area, but it does have some decent restaurants (including the much-touted and genuinely very good El Pollo Rico chicken place).

I do think some of the cheapest apartments in downtown Silver Spring are as low as $1000/month, especially for studios. Those places aren't as easily walkable to the Metrorail station or the buses and the apartments themselves may not be as nice, but they'd probably be okay.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM

17 posts, read 75,413 times
Rockville, Germantown, Gaithersburg are all rather suburban in feel. Although there are some bars, it's not a hopping nightlife.

Bethesda is the best nightlife area, but it is far more expensive. However, if you want to meet people, it might be worth spending more on rent. If you want to be walking or close distance to the red line-even if it just to get to nightlife places, King Farm or City of Rockville are your best bets. North Bethesda isn't bad, either. There, The Gallery might give you the best rate for the nicest place. Tends to have a bunch of 20-30 somethings living there. Where ever you are looking take time to people watch at the building and check out the desk staff. Both will provide clues as to suitability. Also, just ask people going in and out of the building how they like it. You'll get a few that will give you the skinny on the building and residents.

Good luck and welcome to the area!!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 AM

20 posts, read 41,413 times
I grew up in Potomac MD. When we graduated us young kids moved out to Gaithersburg, because it was cheaper to live. Now the farther out 270 the cheaper. So look into Germantown. Yes Rio is nice, however, my mother just moved out there from Potomac and it is very expensive. I do remember the Londondary in Gaithersburg was a nice apartment complex with the best rent price. That was years ago though. If you live in Silver Spring you could drive to Rockville. I can not help you with the metro because I drove everyway around Montgomery County. I only took the Metro if I was going to DC to hang out and did not want to get lost. Taking the Metro from Silver Spring, Tacoma Park, or Bethesda would never cross my mind. I would drive. You would be going against traffic. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I grew up there for 20 years before leaving that rat race and moving to the Eastern Shore. But it is a great place for a young person starting a career. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland