Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,767 times

Advertisements

[Hello,
I am from Spain. My husband will begin in September a Master in Applied Economics at Johns Hopkins University, in its campus in Washington, so we will arrive there on August, not earlier because of the visa requirements. We'll stay 2 years there. We have a son who is 4 years old, he will be 5 on October 2010, so he has to attend pre-K level.
We don't know what to do about the school.
The DCPS has told us that we don't have problem, "he will have gauranteed enrolled at his in-boundary school..." All we would need to do once we move there is contact that school we want and...so on. We know "greatschools.com" so we list that 10 scored schools in DC. We were having a look houses for rent in the NW DC area, we have a $3,500-4,000 budget. But...we read a beat about the 'not so good quality' of the DC schools...so, what to do?
We are cheking the Bethesda and around area also; for us, live close the red line would be great because of my husband'll go to Dupond Circle to attend his class. The MCPS has told us our child would not be eligible to enter kindergarten, they don't have preK for all the children. They said we can contact LOCATE: Child Care at...and gave us a phone number. This is a free service that we'll help us to find licensed prekindergarten programs for our first year (Is this service working fine??) The second yeard he will attend the kindergarden program at the MCPS system.

We have a huge doubt: [/font]
Option 1: go to DC, try to live in the NW area and enroll our son in a "good" public school there for the 2 years.
Option 2: rent in Bethesda (or around), try to find a good private preK school for this year and enroll the child in the public school program for the 2011-2012 school year.[/font]
Option 3: rent in Bethesda and search for a good private school for the 2 years...
It is hard for us because of we are so far from there, we don't know much about your school system. We don't know if it's worth to take 1st year a private preK in MC and wait to the 2011 to attend public school we know have a very good level in USA. It's difficult to find a private school that likes us in this 2 months! (and they are so expensive...). Or maybe it's worth to go to a good school in DC...

Could anybody give us a clue to help us?
Thank you yery much for reading this to the end.
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,991 times
You may also want to look at Northern Virginia area schools. Your husband will have a slightly longer commute to Dupont Circle, but it won't be too much further than from Montgomery County, MD. Look at Fairfax County, Arlington, and Alexandria.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,103 times
Do you plan to stay in the US after graduate school? Do you want your child to learn in English? I'd almost suggest looking into some of the local Spanish immersion programs, if you want him to learn in Spanish.
MD: Montgomery County Public Schools - Special Programs (http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/specialprograms/elementary/immersion_spanish_elementary.shtm - broken link)
VA: FCPS*Instructional Services:*High School Instruction &*K-12 Curriculum Services
DC: Dual Language Education Programs - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC

I don't really have advice on the schools themselves, as I don't have kids. I've never heard anything good about DCPS, but it might be the best option without paying for private school.

eta: The boundary for oyster-adams bilingual elementary would put you in a great location! Its right on the red line around Woodly Park and the National Zoo. A couple stops down the red line to Dupont Circle and an overall great place to live. I lived in upper NW when I first moved to the area (tenlytown area), and Woodly Park was my favorite part of the red line. Oyster-Adams also seems to have one of the better scores on GreatSchools.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:30 AM

Thank you for your help.
We've considered Nothern Virginia too. They don't have preK programs for all the children, like in Montgomery County. It could be an option also...It has a long commute to University (maybe longer than in Bethesda or Nothern Bethesda) but I've read there are very good schools in VA.
We want our child to learn English and to study in English.
So...I go on trying to find out wich are the best schools in DC and the same for the private schools in Montgomery Co!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
If I were in your position, I'd think of the two years separately, make a plan for the first year, and figure you can move for the second year if you need to do so.

We moved to Maryland mid-year with a 4-year-old. We had been in a 5-day-a-week 1/2 day preschool, but here we chose a 4-day a week preschool co-op primarily so that we could meet people. For that purpose, it was a great choice. We've made friends quickly and it is important to our daughter to have friends.

Most kids with stay-at-home parents are going to be in 4-5 day 2 1/2 hour - 3 hour preschools at age 4/5. There are a lot of free museums in Washington and you won't be short of educational opportunities. Your big challenge is going to be the fact that schools hold sign-ups in February for the following September, so you are going to have to send a lot of mail messages to find open slots. Some churches have part-time preschools, and you don't have to be a member and there isn't a lot of religious instruction. Co-ops are going to be the most reasonably priced option.

Do you drive? Do you need to be on the metro line? Can you live with a longer commute?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,780 times
You might want to find out which counties offers public pre-k to ESL students, I believe Howard County does. I love Georgetown, not sure about the prices but if you can find and afford a place that could definitely be an option. When we were looking at schools in the Boston area, we looked at International schools and I really liked the curriculum that they offer, the language immersion programs and the diversity. If you think you are going to go back to Spain or Europe, I would consider one of these programs. I think it might make your transitioin easier for your child.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
You might want to find out which counties offers public pre-k to ESL students, I believe Howard County does.
Cool idea, but I pulled Howard County's info and first priority for pre-K is economic status. The way their website is written it sounds like that's consistent throughout Maryland. On the other hand, if the Casandrita's husband is a student maybe they can meet the economic guidelines (I think that generally only current income is considered).
Howard County Public School System

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 AM

We want our son to learn in English in a regular USA school, we don't wan't a bilingual program, we want to inmerse him in the languagge as most as we can...I mean, at home he will listen and speak in Spanish.

I have a question: J_Lurk, you say children can go to school only 1/2 day, how does it work? because I've read this in some school webs.
I think we don't have this in Spain...my child is 4 and a half years old and he go to school from 9 to 16:30 (including lunch time). He goes to a regular school here and this is a normal timetable. Some cities have 9 to 14:00 but without lunch time, they eat after this hour. Anyway, I think these schedules we have in Spain are too much for this ages.

Don't you think Howard County is too far for my husband to commute towards Dupond Circle?
I was having a look to Rockville and these nothern areas, houses are cheaper than in DC and Bethesda and it takes line red too.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Oh! excuse me, I forgot to answer this:
yes, we drive.
We prefer to live near the metro line. I've heard DC traffic is terrible; we live in Madrid (downtown) and we don't use the car because of the traffic, we use metro or motorcycle...maybe we are thinking with Spanish mind! With our particular mind, because here in Madrid there are a lot of people that spend 1 1/2 hour in the car every day to go to work, because they live in suburbs and prefer this.
The point is, our first goal is the school, and then we prefer to live in a detached house and then we prefer not to use the car to go downtown (maybe he can use the car to go to the metro station, is this an option??) (Is the bike an option in DC to go to the metro station?)

thanks everyone

Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,780 times
You can find several different programs in the area from 1/2 day (either 9 -11:30 or 12:30-3) 2 -5 days a week. You can find school day programs that are offered from ~ 9- 3 pm 2-5 days a week. Finally full day ~ 7 - 6 pm care 2-5 days a week.

People do commute from Howard County to DC, a lot of people seem to drive but you can take the Marc, bus or drive to the metro.

Considering your desire for your child to learn English and to take classes in English, I would look for a program that offers Spanish via an onsite teacher or that has spanish speaking staff. Or at least has a few kids in the class that speak Spanish. Your child will be taught in English but will have some comfort when needed. If you already speak English at home then it may not be necessary.

In another state I witness a child from China coming into school with no English, it was hard to watch. However, I do not believe that the kid had in experience in a school setting before so he had a really tough time. Once a child becomes fully verbal, it is difficult for them with others do not understand them. Luckily a few parents would speak to him in Mandarin, which helped to calm him and a few of the kids were fluent. I think it helps ease the transition.

Good Luck,

The school in Howard with teachers who speak Spanish and they give commands in both English and Spanish (ex - stand, silence, let's go to the bathroom, etc.). Is love of learning Montessori, it is Columbia However, I think instruction is in English meaning they are expected to write, etc. in English. They say they are not an immersion program. They offer 1/2 day, school day and full day. They also offer private school if you wish to continue there.

Outside of Howard County, the Rockville, Chevy Chase, Bethesda area has really high standardized test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland