U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 77,010 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I just got married and are going to be moving from NYC to DC in August (we're in our mid-late 20's). I am a publicist and he works for the government. We'll be working near Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom.

I am interested to learn more about the Wheaton Glemont area. We're looking for a simple rental home for around $2000 a month and I noticed a few nicer and affordable homes in this area. What is it like? how safe is it? How does this area compare for example to the surrounding areas (Forest Glen, Takoma Park, Kensington etc)? In particular, would I feel safe at night? Is there a better neighborhood you'd recommend we look into? How is the restaurant scene? are there any gyms? Any info/advice is appreciated.

We're coming from a family-friendly neighborhood in Queens, NY so we're used to some diversity and don't have to live in the epitome of yuppieville. We just want a safe area that will allow us to have a good quality of life and rent a small home. We're both originally mid-westerners so we like friendly, family centric neighborhoods.

Thank you very much for your help!

Ideally What we're looking for:

2 bedroom 1 bath rental home

safe/quiet neighborhood within 45 metro commute of our offices

near metro (we can park and drive if needed)

yard (for the dogs)

dishwasher/washer and dryer

pet friendly

around $1900-2100/month
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,904 times
Don't live in Takoma Park, there's too much crime. With your budget, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a good place. good luck!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

429 posts, read 1,088,469 times
Everyone has a different idea of what constitutes "too much crime." I may have a higher tolerance for risk than chaipork, because I wouldn't hesitate to live in Takoma Park over Wheaton and Glenmont. The shorter commute to work and DC nightlife would make it a no-brainer for me.

There's no substitute for seeing neighborhoods for yourself, including at night and on weekends, to see if the atmosphere changes.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM

195 posts, read 439,027 times
I agree totally with RamblingMan. Takoma Park is far from what I would consider a high crime area.

If you are looking for an apartment/condo, Wheaton and Glenmont (even more so Forest Glen) are likely to have some good options. Wheaton has more restaurants in the immediate area. If you're looking more for a small house, you might find something in Silver Spring or Takmoa Park (or across the line in the Takoma section of DC). Also, for that "friendly, family-centric neighborhood" give Hyattsville a look-see. I'm admittedly biased, but it's a great place.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 PM

79 posts, read 209,231 times
The Glenmont area is perfectly safe and a decent area with somewhat lower costs. The area has a fairly large Hispanic population, along with white, asian, middle eastern, black, etc, population. The Wheaton area is heavily Hispanic, but still a relatively suburban area. Although others have stated crime fears about Wheaton, i find it perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland